Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

do frames "harden" with age?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-29-07, 07:29 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts

I have a 70's Raliegh Superbe(Suntour Superbe equipment). I've had it since new. It rides like a rock. Very little shock absorbtion. Does steel harden with age? Does a bike loose its lively feel with age? I can remember riding my brothers Cinelli back in the 70's and that bike had alot of "life" to it.

I'm not to fond of the new bikes being made and was thinking of looking for a vintage frame. But then I wonder if it will have a decent ride. My thought is to get an old Raliegh with a longer wheelbase. I had an old Raliegh Compitition before this bike and it was long and rode "soft". I like that soft ride especially on the roads here in the Chicago area, pothole city.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-07, 08:09 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Steel frames don't harden with age, but our bodies do get more sensitive to jolts and jarring as we age. Probably the best way to mitigate the problem is to mount fatter tires and use a little less air in the tires. Balloon tired bikes like "beach cruisers" have silky smooth rides, but those tires also have greater rolling resistance, so you have to choose a satisfactory compromise between skinny high pressure tires with low rolling resistance but little shock absorption, and fat tires with higher rolling resistance and good shock absorption.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 09-29-07, 08:23 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Stan,

You're right about the answer being tires, but fatter tires does not necessarily equal greater rolling resistance.

big chainring,

Is that the made-in-Japan Raleigh Superbe with the really sweet gold finish (my presumption), or a converted 3 speed Superbe? If the former, you should have no trouble finding 700c tires in 25 or 28 width that will help prevent the jarring, and not be so large as to make the bike look silly. If the latter, just don't inflate the tires quite as much.
Old 09-29-07, 08:36 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Ironically a 1970's bike probably came with larger tires, 27 x 1 1/4. I've found that proper size tires are the ticket to great riding.
Old 09-29-07, 09:10 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
According to popular opinion, steel frames soften, rather than harden with age. The buddy that gave me my Tommasini said he'd stopped riding it since it had "gone soft". He rides a CF frame now.

There's some info on work-hardening here. I'd love to hear what an actual mettalurgist has to say.
Old 09-29-07, 09:54 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
There is also a lot of variation between types of steel used. My Marinoni which is SLX is quite stiff while other steel frame I've riden are softer. There are a lot of variables with frames, builder, materials, ect...
Old 09-29-07, 11:26 AM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Stan,

You're right about the answer being tires, but fatter tires does not necessarily equal greater rolling resistance.

big chainring,

Is that the made-in-Japan Raleigh Superbe with the really sweet gold finish (my presumption), or a converted 3 speed Superbe? If the former, you should have no trouble finding 700c tires in 25 or 28 width that will help prevent the jarring, and not be so large as to make the bike look silly. If the latter, just don't inflate the tires quite as much.
Yep, the gold finish one. Got alot of looks when I raced that bike. The gold lacquer finish started looking bad with scrapes and chips, so I stipped the gold off and its now a chrome bike. I'm using 700 x 28 tires now. They are really hard riding. I'm kind of tempted to get some tubulars. They always seamed to ride nicer. Come winter I put 700 x 35 tire on the front. Thats the ride I like.

Last edited by big chainring; 09-29-07 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 09-29-07, 02:09 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would maybe worry about 'hydrogen embritlement', after the frame was chromed.

The plater should always 'bakeout', the hydrogen after the plating operation;

It can become a real problem if not done.

Regards,
J T
Old 09-29-07, 03:25 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work hardening involves a permanent deformation of the metal; when the frame flexes under pedaling torque, it flexes back so frames won't work harden with age.

It could be that the inside of a "soft" frame has rusted out enough of a degree that there is less metal to resist flexing and creates a flexier frame, or it could be that fatigue induced microcracking has set in and reduced the stiffness of the tubes but has not formed visible cracks, or a combination of the two.
Old 09-29-07, 05:20 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hocam
Work hardening involves a permanent deformation of the metal; when the frame flexes under pedaling torque, it flexes back so frames won't work harden with age.

It could be that the inside of a "soft" frame has rusted out enough of a degree that there is less metal to resist flexing and creates a flexier frame, or it could be that fatigue induced microcracking has set in and reduced the stiffness of the tubes but has not formed visible cracks, or a combination of the two.
Well said.
Steel frames "soften" = urban myth. A well-taken-care-of and well-maintained frame shouldn't "soften," at least not without a good half-century or so of regular use. The guy who gave away the Tommasini because it had "gone soft" was frankly a little soft in the head. A lot of times, it's the components that wear or aren't adequately maintained or are out of date, creating the impression that the frame has "softened." Riders who race a frame hard for a season often report "softening" of a bike for this reason, when a new chain and freewheel and some routine maintenance might firm that frame right back up.
Old 09-29-07, 06:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Stiffness of the steel is not the same as strength. Work hardening would not change the stiffness, unless as noted above, the thing was starting to crack. A rider getting heavier and/or flabbier with age would make a difference. Different seats, tires, and wheels might make a difference. Having ridden other bikes in the meantime could make a big difference.
Old 09-29-07, 07:21 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I think he was lured by the plastic wunderframe, but considering that I'm not as young as I once was, a "soft" frame sounds like a very nice ride.

He's gonna take a Scattante in his shorts when he sees what I'm doing with it.
Old 09-29-07, 07:41 PM
big chainring 

Originally Posted by StephenH
A rider getting heavier and/or flabbier with age would make a difference. e.
Ya, so you are aging just fine, no weight gain, no stress from kids and a lousy job. Whats your point punk. Why I outta, To the moon Alice, to the moon!
Old 09-29-07, 08:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Yep, the gold finish one. Got alot of looks when I raced that bike. The gold lacquer finish started looking bad with scrapes and chips, so I stipped the gold off and its now a chrome bike. I'm using 700 x 28 tires now. They are really hard riding. I'm kind of tempted to get some tubulars. They always seamed to ride nicer. Come winter I put 700 x 35 tire on the front. Thats the ride I like.

It still looks really nice, but there was something special about that gold finish...

What kind of tires are you using, and what pressure do you have them pumped to? If you're still using the original rims, that's the only thing that would logically be responsible for the difference you feel. I'm thinking that if you can find skinwalls, it would make for a nicer ride than the all rubber you have on there now.
Old 09-30-07, 06:05 AM
big chainring 

I'm using Continental tires pumped to 80psi in the rear and only about 50psi in front. Its the shock from the front fork that gets to me.
I recall in the 70's two brothers came from Belgium to race in the Chicago area, the De Jonkerin bros.(sorry, terrible spelling I'm sure). They had the full campy racing bikes but the forks had been replaced with forks with alot of rake. Lots of cobblestone and bad roads in Belgium. Might be a good solution in Chicago too. I get into stretches of road that are just terrible. And my body cant absorb the bumps like it used to.
Old 09-30-07, 09:52 AM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hocam

In the 80s Bill Farrell (of Fit Kit fame) found a limitation of his cleat alignment devices was the alignment of the actual frame. He then set about making a shop quality (as opposed to frame shop quality) frame alignment system and in so doing, found that guys who said "my frame went soft after a year of racing" actually had frames out of alignment after a year of racing and its attendent crashes, transport mishaps, etc. For a few guys he realigned their frames and got reports back that the frame was "alive" again.

This did not sit well with the guys who wanted to tell their wives "I need a new frame every year, they go soft..." These were the days when you got a new frame and transferred your Campy stuff over to it, because the Campy never wore out or became obsolete.

Later

Mel
Old 09-30-07, 07:35 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
In the 80s Bill Farrell (of Fit Kit fame) found a limitation of his cleat alignment devices was the alignment of the actual frame. He then set about making a shop quality (as opposed to frame shop quality) frame alignment system and in so doing, found that guys who said "my frame went soft after a year of racing" actually had frames out of alignment after a year of racing and its attendent crashes, transport mishaps, etc. For a few guys he realigned their frames and got reports back that the frame was "alive" again.

This did not sit well with the guys who wanted to tell their wives "I need a new frame every year, they go soft..." These were the days when you got a new frame and transferred your Campy stuff over to it, because the Campy never wore out or became obsolete.

Later

Mel
That sounds like a very plausible theory, if the rear end is misaligned then you're always putting torque onto the road in the wrong direction and correction with the front end.
Old 09-30-07, 07:40 PM
skinny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many a monday spent with the frame in the vise after being mangled on sunday. It's all about alignment.
Old 09-30-07, 08:54 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
According to popular opinion, steel frames soften, rather than harden with age. The buddy that gave me my Tommasini said he'd stopped riding it since it had "gone soft". He rides a CF frame now.

There's some info on work-hardening here. I'd love to hear what an actual mettalurgist has to say.
I find it hard to believe that steel frames harden (work-harden) or soften significantly (fatigue) unless they are repeatedly flexed beyond expected limits.

Granted, steel can work harden and steel can fatigue, and same for its alloys. But good design would have the frame stiff enought to resist flexing to large deflections.

Road Fan
Old 10-01-07, 11:40 AM
mike alanko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 47 year old Legnano and can attest - components make up a major part of the ride quality.

I had 22mm clinchers on Ambrosio Evolutions on last year (120psi) and switched to NOS Nisi Moncalieri with some cheap tubulars (also 120psi) and respoked to 3-cross from radial with double butted - and changed my headset to a '70s Nuovo Record - went from Cinelli Giro bars to a Nitto Noodle - the bike feels completely different.

I have a feeling that with 80 and 50psi in your tires you're going to be hurting your wheels on the bumpy stuff, unless you have a very wide profile tire. Which kind of negates the purpose of a racing-geometry frame.

It may be time for a dedicated bike for this kind of terrain!

I don't take my racer out on the rough stuff if I can help it.

It's like taking a Ferrari camping - what you really need is a Jeep.
Old 10-01-07, 12:52 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No. The things that can change a bike's feel are the tires, the tubes, the saddle, and the bar wrap...the contact points.

I've gotten spoiled by the feel of gel wrap and cork wrap tape. When I ride a bike that has the old style cloth or plastic wrap, it doesn't feel very good.

And of course, PSI matters. Last week, I thought the streets in my neighborhood must have been repaved. It felt like I was riding on velvet. When I got home, I checked my PSI. That bike had not been on the road in months. Instead of 90 PSI, the tires were at 50 PSI.

So, I put them at 90 PSI. Sure enough, the neighborhood streets went back to feeling like "Berlin 1946".
Old 10-01-07, 06:19 PM
SingeDebile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as mentioned before put on some larger tires. 27 to 32 mm tires are as fast as skinny 23mm tires and actually "faster" over rougher non perfect pavement (which is what you ride on 90% of the time). There are plenty of high quality tires in these sizes as well...