Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Brake levers ... Brake Levers ...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 09:03 AM
SSSasky
Mo' Senior

Bikes: 1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, this is likely a really stupid question, but i've never denied being stupid.

If i want to mount brake levers on my flats (on bullhorns or drops), am i limited to the cyclocross levers, or can i run MTB or BMX levers?

Assuming I can use them, will they work with normal long-reach road calipers? I can't see why they wouldn't, given their longer pull ... but maybe I'm missing something.

I imagine the problem is clam size. I'm running Syntace bullhorns from Chuck's right now, and Norco-made Axiom ergo drops.

Thoughts? Anyone know of some cheap but good cyclocross levers?
Old 12-08-04, 09:10 AM
Ira in Chi
loves living in the city.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's right, you would be limited by the size of the clam:

Also the difference in pull would make them hard to adjust properly.
Old 12-08-04, 10:09 AM
SSSasky
Mo' Senior

Bikes: 1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
err ... umm ... i think i meant clamp size ... maybe ... although that is one impressive clam ... i wonder if he's campy compatible?
Old 12-08-04, 10:39 AM
manboy
The King of Town

Bikes: Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I run a lever from a hybrid. It was free, and it fits fine. Instead of a regular clamp it has some kind of band with a screw putting pressure on the bar, so it'll pretty much fit anything.
Old 12-08-04, 10:40 AM
isotopesope
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tektro makes some cross levers that are less expensive than the salsa ones.
Old 12-08-04, 10:46 AM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mmm...the only brakes I would ever run would be Littleneck Clamp based. In garlic butter.
Old 12-08-04, 11:22 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
assuming you're running a standard road 15/16) bar, and assuming you're running a standard (7/8) mountain brake (not something funky like manboy has) it prolly wont fit without some milling or at least a bit of forcing. Wont hurt to try it though.

Interrupters are made to fit.
Old 12-08-04, 11:23 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah; perfectly compatible w/calipers.
Old 12-08-04, 11:55 AM
kerley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a dia compe dirty harry BMX lever. It's made for the newer BMX bars and come siwht a shim for the older thinner ones. Works perfectly on track bars without the shim. I've also shortened the lever by cutting of the bend so it is a true one finger lever. I don't have any problems with cable pull and the brake works fine.
Old 12-08-04, 12:00 PM
meat_toothpaste

Bikes: Bianchi Pista & beater Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of those cross levers come with shims to fit the larger and smaller road bar diameters.

The Tektro levers have a weak spring when used as the solo levers. I returned mine and got the Specialized one and have snappier brakes on par with regular levers.

BMX and mtn levers pull more cable than road calipers require. But they'll be fine. You'll just engage your brakes onto the rim with less lever pull.
Old 12-08-04, 12:04 PM
glowingrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run my brake cable through a short length of garden hose which I hold in my teeth as I ride. But if I'm having a cigarette or something I have to tie it off on my ponytail which sometimes tangles up in the cable. No system is perfect though
Old 12-08-04, 01:06 PM
keevohn
laterally compliant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried running a Tektro BMX lever on my bullhorns a while back, and after a good hour of cursing, filing and forcing I managed to mount it on my bars. Scratched the bars all to hell, made me wonder how much I'd messed up the clamp, and frankly wasn't that comfortable anyway. Switched to a Tektro 'cross lever, and life was dandy. Until I yanked the brakes for good. And then life was dandier.

Also, as I understand it, brake levers intended for use with cantilever brakes work fine with road calipers (same amount of pull), but brake levers intended for V-brakes don't.
Old 12-08-04, 05:12 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run a Tektro BMX lever quite happily. However, it's true that it was too small to fit my bars. So I did what I seem to always do and got out my #1 mechanic's tool: a 5lb claw hammer. I put a wedge in there, drove that bastard open, and slid it right on. Then I got out the vice grips and clamped it down on the bar so it mostly fits.

The screw holes don't line up anymore, but that's actually cool because I have a few degrees of motion if I want it in a slightly different position (which is more often than I would have expected, strangely enough).

The brake works real nice and the short two-finger lever stays out of my way except when I need it.

Note: I removed the vice grips after squeezing the clamp together as best as I could. I am not, repeat, am not riding around with a vice grips protruding from my bar.
Old 12-08-04, 06:00 PM
RetroSteel
Fully lugged in

Bikes: 1969 Carlton Continental 531 / Nervex, 1987 Atala Aelle, 1989 Scapin Atec, 1990 Faggin Aelle, 2012 Planet-X Kaffenback, 2012 Bob Jackson Olympus 631, 2012 One-One Scandal MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bullhorn bar diameter is bigger than traditional drop bars - I made that mistake, now I have to buy TT levers. If you flip n' chop your drop bars to make bullhorns then all brakes should fit. BMX levers work well with road calipers + their as cheap as chips from ebay.