Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter shoes or covers?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter shoes or covers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 07:10 AM
GreenspeedGTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been riding in 20-30 temps about 1.5-2hrs every day at 5am. My feet tend to get very cold easily. For example when ice fishing I wear -80 degree Baffin boots and I can only be out for a few hrs in temps of 10 above. Anyway my set up is this. Pair of serius Hyperlite storm sock, liner socks. Then a pair of Darn Tough mountaineering socks. This is for 30 temps. I add plastic bread bags over the socks in the 20s. I then put this in a pair of Keen Bike shoes that kinda look like a sandle because I have so many socks on. Then over this I put on a pair of Outdoor research Huron neoprene snow shoe covers and finally a pair of Gore bike shoe covers. Depending on the temps today it was low 30s and almost snowing but raining I just wore the hyperlite socks, darn tough socks in a shimano regular bike with the Huron snow shoe covers and my feet were just fine, not really cold and dry. Every chemical warmer I have put on my toes is freezing cold when I get home, they were worthless. I think the hyperlite socks seem to help, I thought they were going to be worthless but they appear to work for me.
Old 11-06-14, 09:41 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenspeedGTS
I have been riding in 20-30 temps about 1.5-2hrs every day at 5am. My feet tend to get very cold easily. For example when ice fishing I wear -80 degree Baffin boots and I can only be out for a few hrs in temps of 10 above. Anyway my set up is this. Pair of serius Hyperlite storm sock, liner socks. Then a pair of Darn Tough mountaineering socks. This is for 30 temps. I add plastic bread bags over the socks in the 20s. I then put this in a pair of Keen Bike shoes that kinda look like a sandle because I have so many socks on. Then over this I put on a pair of Outdoor research Huron neoprene snow shoe covers and finally a pair of Gore bike shoe covers. Depending on the temps today it was low 30s and almost snowing but raining I just wore the hyperlite socks, darn tough socks in a shimano regular bike with the Huron snow shoe covers and my feet were just fine, not really cold and dry. Every chemical warmer I have put on my toes is freezing cold when I get home, they were worthless. I think the hyperlite socks seem to help, I thought they were going to be worthless but they appear to work for me.
You must be the guy who keeps triggering those Sasquatch sightings, lol! That's quite a prep to have to go through. But there's nothing much worse than being out in the elements with cold feet.

I'm going through a process of trial and error right now. It's not going well. If I can't get comfortable in 30 degree weather then it doesn't bode well for when it gets really cold. I haven't tried plastic bags yet so I'll go there next.
Old 11-06-14, 10:44 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruised
I haven't tried plastic bags yet so I'll go there next.
The plastic bag trick doesn't do miracles. If your shoes are already dry, breath well, that your ride is just a few minutes long and you don't sweat much from the feet then you probably won't see any differences. A plastic bag isn't an insulation layer it just prevents the insulation from losing up to half the CLO (R-value for clothing). People can start a ride with already wet shoes and not noticing it (especially those that ride every day with the same shoes). Then comes the cold toes after 30 minutes riding. Those that wear thinsulate, rubber, neoprene and goretex shoes and/or covers are probably more likely to have the insulation wet depending on how the shoes are made. In this case the plastic bag/vapor barrier layer is probably a good solution.

Last edited by erig007; 11-06-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 04:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I have found tight fitting Neoprene shoes covers difficult to stretch on over my cycling shoes when wearing clipless, but that bike goes into storage in December until March and and I use toeclips while wearing regular running shoes. I have a set-up that I use for wet weather that has proven good in cold weather too:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This past Monday (12/30/13) I did my 14 mile commute at about 15°F and tried a new set of foot coverings that IMO that kept my feet significantly warmer than usual. In the past I had bought a pair of neon green shoe covers made by Gore-Tex, for wet riding. During the winter, I use platform pedals with toeclips, and my usual footwear is thin and thick socks, running shoes and Totes rubber overshoes. I use plastic bags over my running shoes to put on the Totes more easily (see the sequence below).

So with the additional Gore-Tex shoe coverings at 15ºF, I did not perceive cold until about mile 10, and I did not feel cold until about mile 12, but it was tolerable. At about mile 12 I have a downhill run of several hundred yards that irreversibly drains the heat from my extremities. The next day at 21ºF, I rode without the Goretex, and started feeling cold at about mile 9 and finished significantly colder at my mile 14 destination than the day before.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0458.jpg (46.2 KB, 26 views)
DSCN0459.jpg (67.1 KB, 29 views)
DSCN0460.jpg (74.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-07-14, 08:04 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have found tight fitting Neoprene shoes covers difficult to stretch on over my cycling shoes when wearing clipless, but that bike goes into storage in December until March and and I use toeclips while wearing regular running shoes. I have a set-up that I use for wet weather that has proven good in cold weather too:
From your pics your goretex shoe cover seems to be made of 2 separate layers between which air is trapped, there is also air between your rubber cover and the goretex cover. Air is a very good insulator. Behind most insulations there is trapped air somewhere. Also i have noticed that with just the rubber cover your ankle isn't protected well. Blood goes through your ankles and bring warmth to your toes. When your ankle isn't protected well the blood going through your ankle is cooled by air which makes your feet colder. The goretex cover seal the gap at your ankle level and bring some insulation at the same time. You could gain even more warmth by adding a plastic bag under your socks directly onto your skin to keep your socks dry. Though to be effective the plastic bag will have to run higher than the goretex cover if not moisture may still wet your socks. But since the goretex cover is opened at the bottom there would still be another way for moisture to wet your socks even with the plastic bag on.
Also 6-7mm diving boots would probably be as good as your combo running shoes + rubber cover without the hassle of having to put the rubber cover on.

Last edited by erig007; 11-07-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:44 AM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I’m into multipurpose stuff. My shell consists of Showers Pass rain gear which obviously keeps my dry, as well. For my feet (which I don’t have nearly as much problems as with my hands) I wear wool socks, hiking boots and Showers Pass Touring Rain Covers. I only need the covers if it's cold and raining or when it’s real cold. Like below zero. I got the covers four years ago on a half off sale. So, they might not make the exact one anymore. https://bikearoundtheworld.typepad.co...1cbb970c-800wi
Old 11-07-14, 09:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
From your pics your goretex shoe cover seems to be made of 2 separate layers between which air is trapped, there is also air between your rubber cover and the goretex cover. Air is a very good insulator. Behind most insulations there is trapped air somewhere. Also i have noticed that with just the rubber cover your ankle isn't protected well. Blood goes through your ankles and bring warmth to your toes. When your ankle isn't protected well the blood going through your ankle is cooled by air which makes your feet colder. The goretex cover seal the gap at your ankle level and bring some insulation at the same time. You could gain even more warmth by adding a plastic bag under your socks directly onto your skin to keep your socks dry. Though to be effective the plastic bag will have to run higher than the goretex cover if not moisture may still wet your socks. But since the goretex cover is opened at the bottom there would still be another way for moisture to wet your socks even with the plastic bag on.
Also 6-7mm diving boots would probably be as good as your combo running shoes + rubber cover without the hassle of having to put the rubber cover on.
Thanks for the reply. I employ a similar concept to keep my hands warm.

My coldest temperatures are rarely down to 0°F for my 14 mile one-way commute, when I wear the combination pictured below with cheapo fleece mittens. I generally wear single windproof fingered ski gloves though, sometimes with a thin inner knit pair. However, whenever wearing hand wear at any temperature, I also wear a pair of “wrist gaiters” made from athletic socks, to seal the wrists from any gaps between gloves and jacket.

I note that the skin of my covered forearms perspires from the additional warmth. I speculate that these wrist gaiters may further warm the blood flowing to my hands. Since wearing them, I haven’t had any hand problems,
FWIW. Feet are another matter, my weakest link for winter riding.

Addendum: See also this preceding similar opinion:

Originally Posted by Al Criner
Try using some tennis wrist bands along with your gloves/mitts. If the pulse points in your wrists are warm your hands stay warmer. This is surprisingly effective IME, although we don't get extreme winter weather where I live.
The wrist gaiters are longer than tennis wrist bands and thus cover a longer segment of the forearm blood flow to futher warm it up, as I suggest.
Attached Images
P1180017.jpg (100.6 KB, 21 views)
P1180019.jpg (56.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-07-14, 10:32 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The arteria dorsalis pedis and friends

Posterior tibial artery
1 - popliteal artery;
2 - calf;
3 - anterior tibial artery;
4 - fibula artery;
5 - posterior tibial artery;
6 - medial branch lodyzhkovaya;
7 - medial ankle vascular network;
8 - calcaneal branch;
9 - lateral plantar artery;
10 - medial plantar artery;
11 - Heel network

Last edited by erig007; 11-07-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 12:31 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
covers are a pain, but the fit on winter shoes can be so sloppy. I strongly prefer the on-bike experience of covers while the convenience of winter shoes is better.

I got the same brand winter shoes as my summers and the fit on the winters is atrocious in comparison, plus the lacing system sucks compared to a decent summer shoe.
Old 01-20-15, 03:22 PM
will be was

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
I have a LG shoe cover until back zipper broke I was just using rubber tape to wear it on my rides and bottom strap gave away it was pain to put on regular Lake MTB shoes, and you had to improvise a lot plastic bags toe warmers, thick socks. A year ago I bought PI neoprene shoe covers, that not to cheap, but I never used it. This year I bought Louis Garneau 0° LS-100 MTB Shoe, coast $160.00 total, coldest ride was 17F without the win sheer, with two socks, can't be happier
Old 01-21-15, 07:25 AM
V73
Menior Sember

Bikes: 1995 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport, 2005 Diamondback Sorrento

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that when I'm out for 1.5 hours or less a good thick pair of shoes and socks work fine for me. I hike a lot so I have some old hiking shoes I use for my winter commute, I just wear a pair of wool socks and waterproof the shoes with several coats of Nikwax (This or This will work for most shoes and boots). That's just what I already had but I can verify it works really well to weatherproof shoes and still keeps breathable materials like the nylon venting on my Columbias mostly breathable. I used this on my boots for a 75 mile trek in the New Mexican rockies, and it worked pretty darn well (my hiking boots didn't but that's another story). For longer times and distances I put on a good pair of boots and another pair of socks on. I don't use clips so my pedals work pretty much fine with any kind of shoe or boot. YMMV, just figure out what works best for you and don't spend money you don't need to.

EDIT: I usually ride a short commute in temps of 0 to 30 degrees Farenheit, and often with colder temperatures, but I also enjoy taking my MTB out for pleasure rides, usually of 10 miles or less in winter.

Last edited by V73; 01-21-15 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Temperatures
Old 01-21-15, 09:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
2 hrs at 30 degrees or lower I go w chem packs
Attached Images
toe warmers.jpg (96.2 KB, 13 views)