Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Very tight pedal clips

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Very tight pedal clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 11:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
This is a very interesting observation! I too have noticed the swinging knees but never thought much about it.
Do you know more? I'm curious whether the swinging knee is the cause or the symptom. In other words does the swinging knee cause the pain?
or
Do people swing their knees to lessen the pain?
or
Are both the pain and the swinging knee symptoms of another problem? i.e. bad saddle position, restricted hip joint, weak or damaged knee joint, etc.

Thanks,
Brent
There is no absolute. But, those who swing their knees in/out during the pedal stroke definitely could use a cleat adjustment.
Long ago I worked for a shop that had a knock-off version of the original fit kit pedal cleat "monitors" - the pedal was stationary fixed in the crank, there was a U bracket that pivoted from below, there were tell tail thin rods that extended beyond from both parts, the rider used these on a trainer and was monitored, the goal was to eliminate as much as possible the divergence as one pedaled. Worked pretty well. Sometimes orthotics were needed to assist- aligned the ankle joint.
later cleats with float pushed that to the side, but correctly adjusted cleats are a good thing.
Old 03-05-20, 11:36 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I put my Eroica bike back on the trainer and installed the pedals I am going to use. When I tried it out the shoe cleats were having a very hard time seating all the way on the pedal. I thought about making the slot wider but Is it normal to open the gap to allow them to fit better? Also the way there are now there would be ZERO float and I am sure that would kill my knees.
Clips come in sizes. The size affects the length of the clip, allowing your foot to go farther or less far forward, depending upon the size. There are also sizes that affect the height of the clip, deep ones for tall toe box shoes, shallow for traditional pointed toe box shoes.

It's better to have a clip that is too deep and too long rather than coming up short on either, especially if you have a cleat to set the fore-aft placement of your foot.

Spacers (excessively long) don't really work because they push the top of the strap forward and can put the strap in the wrong spot creating a pressure point.

Get the proper size clip.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 03-05-20 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 01:42 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Back in the early 80's when I was using slotted cleats and toe clips, it was normal that the slots were tight on the pedal cage, when the cleats were brand new and were sometimes not that easy to pull off/release from the pedals. After some miles, they loosened up a bit, just from wear against the harder pedal cages and everything was good.
I do remember that the tight slotted cleats did sometimes put a bit of strain on my knees in some conditions, but it wasn't something my young knees back then, cannot tolerate. I would not ride slotted cleats without any float these days though.