Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garage Gator, or how to hang a triplet from the shop ceiling...

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 08:22 PM
DrMarkR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a promo pic from the Garage Gator website:

And this is a photo of the thing installed in my shop, and with the triplet hanging from it:

Yes, it's a very busy pic, but make note of the fact that the ceiling in the shop is 15.5 feet at the girt where the "Gator" is attached. You can see the tops of the wall cabinets to the left, and the 8 foot commercial door beyond (covered in motocross stickers!). The ladder in the pic is a 12 foot step ladder.

This thing looks like it will be a great way to store the triplet out of the way, yet able to be ready to ride within a minute or so. It has a 220# capacity, so you could also install one of these to hang 7-8 singles on as well....

One more shot from the side:

Old 05-22-11, 09:47 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Seems an expensive solution if you have to raise the garage ceiling to use one of these things For us folks with normal garages I have two hooks in the ceiling; I just lift the tandem and hook the noses of the saddles on the hooks. Since we have occasional earthquakes I use a velcro strap to keep the captain's saddle from walking off the hook. I could to this with a triple as well, but a quad would be a bit much.
Old 05-23-11, 09:01 AM
DrMarkR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must be tall. Really tall.... if you can lift your tandem high enough to get the noses of the seats on a hook in the ceiling. Assuming your intent was to then be able to walk under it. But maybe that wasn't your intent, like it was mine.

As for your "normal", low ceiling garage. I suppose those "modest" California property taxes can a bit financially limiting....

For those interested, Costco carries them here:

https://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...atchallpartial

Last edited by DrMarkR; 05-23-11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 02:52 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
8' garage ceiling in a California ranch so no walking under the tandem for me. I have, however, walked into it a few times. Seriously, the hoist setup would be attractive for any normal garage without a finished ceiling, but we're not pressed for space since we don't keep our cars in the garage (don't ask).
Old 05-24-11, 04:17 PM
cornucopia72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing. How do you like the finish quality and what do you think the durability would be? It seems like a very reasonable price considering what you get.
Old 05-24-11, 10:13 PM
DrMarkR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cornucopia72
Thanks for sharing. How do you like the finish quality and what do you think the durability would be? It seems like a very reasonable price considering what you get.
It looks solid for what it's going to do....lift up to 220#. The cable is 1/4", and it is geared to move the bike pretty quickly up/down.

This thing is long enough that you could hang a tandem lengthwise, and still have room for a couple of single's crosswise, depending on how/where you configured your attachment points for the tandem.

MR
Old 06-01-11, 01:55 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Coveting a garage with a high ceiling...
Old 06-01-11, 02:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I've got 3 Harkin Hoisters in my garage for Kayaks. They'd work for bikes as well.

Personally, I like them better than an electrical lift system. No need to plug in, and they appear to be better built, than the Garage Gator which looks a tad cheesy.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-01-11, 09:50 PM
DrMarkR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This replaced something very similar to the Harkin. Dealing with the ropes was a PITA, and when unloaded, raising the hooks/moving them out of the way was as well. One of the main reasons I purchased this was the quick, easy, clean operation. The control hangs at approx 7 ft, so it's completely out of the way at all times. Push a button, 10 seconds later bike is down. Push again, lift is back up out of the way. Same drill to hang it back up.

Cheesy? Maybe, but it has a larger load capacity than the Harkin. And the cost is the same....
Old 06-03-11, 02:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

The largest Harkin Hoist with a 200lb rating, just 20 fewer pounds, is certainly adequate for any bike application.

The most expensive Harkin is the same price Cosco has for the Garage Gator, and lower capacity Harkins are less expensive.

As for the rope, I'll take a well done pulley system with a rope, over the need to plug in an electric motor, and the potential for the motor to eventually fail.

I just don't see the need for a motor, when it's easy to lift a bike (heck even a small sailboat) with a mechanically advantaged pulley system, but to each his own.
Old 06-03-11, 06:37 PM
DrMarkR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The largest Harkin Hoist with a 200lb rating, just 20 fewer pounds, is certainly adequate for any bike application.

The most expensive Harkin is the same price Cosco has for the Garage Gator, and lower capacity Harkins are less expensive.

As for the rope, I'll take a well done pulley system with a rope, over the need to plug in an electric motor, and the potential for the motor to eventually fail.

I just don't see the need for a motor, when it's easy to lift a bike (heck even a small sailboat) with a mechanically advantaged pulley system, but to each his own.
Yes, it's difficult to place a plug in a receptacle, eh? And think of the carbon footprint of that electric motor?!?

Since you're so free with your criticism of the report I gave on the Gator, I'll be try to reciprocate when you take the time to write something up on your Harkin Hoist. Or have you already done so......link?
Old 06-03-11, 07:06 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Well it may be difficult to plug in, depending on where you want to put it, and how your garage is wired.

Moreover, all I did in this thread was set out an alternative, and why I prefer it. That adds information for people to use in making their own decision.

You obviously prefer the Garage Gator. I don't. No reason to get upset.

If every thread regarding a new bike related product on BF, was just glowing reports of the product, with no discussion of downsides or alternatives, the threads would be very short, and not very useful.
Old 06-06-11, 10:04 PM
justcrankn

Bikes: Trek T2000, Ventana ElConquistador, ElSanto, STP400, 5500, JubileeSport, Scattante...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If every thread regarding a new bike related product on BF, was just glowing reports of the product, with no discussion of downsides or alternatives, the threads would be very short, and not very useful.
You forgot to discuss the downsides to your alternative.

The Garage Gator looks like the Cadillac solution. Pretty simple to run a cord to the GDO outlet. DrMarkR, you have a nice setup.

I use the Harken Hoisters for loads from 18 to 300 lbs. They work well, but they're not convenient to operate. The Harken Hoisters are a pain to get down with no load or a light load. A smaller person may not be comfortable working the ropes with a larger load. They (the larger ones with the block and tackle) need to be properly placed to allow for the block and tackle and the pull rope. It looks to me like the Garage Gator solves all the Hoisters deficiencies.
Old 06-07-11, 11:04 PM
moleman76

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justcrankn
The Harken Hoisters are a pain to get down with no load or a light load.
Well, like the wrecking-ball style weights on some big crane's hooks, you could add some dead weight at or near the hook, to give something for gravity to work on. Just a thought. a spare water bottle, filled, would give you a pound or more.
Old 06-08-11, 03:39 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Doc.

Nice door, got any close ups. Only ones readable are the sled decal and DG Performance.

Looks like an Mc poster also, two thumbs up on that one. Saw the red and did not suspect RV2, barely readable it looks to say Mc.

So the real question are you "the" Dr Mark? If so, my wife's knee is doing well after your honest advice.

PK
Old 06-04-16, 12:25 PM
LotusBlossom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage Gator and triplet: can't see the picture :(

Hi, I'm a newbie. I would love to see your triplet on the Garage Gator, but It appears that the pictures have been removed, or they are blocked. I'm seeing a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it where the picture should be.

Originally Posted by DrMarkR
This is a promo pic from the Garage Gator website:

And this is a photo of the thing installed in my shop, and with the triplet hanging from it:

Yes, it's a very busy pic, but make note of the fact that the ceiling in the shop is 15.5 feet at the girt where the "Gator" is attached. You can see the tops of the wall cabinets to the left, and the 8 foot commercial door beyond (covered in motocross stickers!). The ladder in the pic is a 12 foot step ladder.

This thing looks like it will be a great way to store the triplet out of the way, yet able to be ready to ride within a minute or so. It has a 220# capacity, so you could also install one of these to hang 7-8 singles on as well....

One more shot from the side:

Old 06-13-16, 10:10 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
You did notice this was a 2011 post? Try the garagegator.com website....
Also note this is for garages with 10' + ceiling heights