Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for bikes similar to the Trek FX 7.4 7.5

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 03:03 AM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey,

I just sold my old bike and want to know of any other bikes with similar or superior features in the same price range as the FX 7.4 and also the 7.5.

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-07-14, 11:18 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
whats up guys?

I would appreciate all value adding responses!!!

Thanks,

John
Old 02-07-14, 12:08 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I don't know much, but I know I'd like a 9 speed and a carbon fork. The FX7.4 is the first FX with the carbon fork and is well out of my price range at retail $800 (I think). I will most likely go with a Giant Excape 1 at retail $650 with a carbon fork and a 9 speed cassette.
Old 02-07-14, 01:10 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the 7.5 FX ($1,100),
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ess/fx/7_5_fx/#

the closest thing from the other big brands would be:

Cannondale Quick SL2($1,080)
https://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/935/

Specialized Sirrus Comp ($1,100)
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us/sirrus-comp

Giant Escape RX ($1,125)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x/14809/66195/

When I bought my SL2, I had tried the other bikes listed above except for the Escape RX, I had tried the Rapid 1 instead (no longer made). I liked the Rapid a lot but the price was higher than I wanted to pay. The Trek was okay but nothing special, I'm sure others will disagree. The SL2 and Sirrus Comp were at the top of the list and I went with the SL2 because it fit me better. I've got a bad neck and the Cannondale was a little shorter reach.

Comparisons with the 7.4 FX get a bit more jumbled up because the other brands have models just a bit more expensive and others just a little less expensive. As with all bikes, it would be best to test ride as many as you can to get a feel for what you like.
Old 02-07-14, 05:30 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would not hesitate to recommend to you ANY of the Quick series from Cannondale. I very much also liked Specialized Sirrus but the Quick just fit me like a glove. (I have the 2014 Quick 4).

I don't really have an opinion on compact crank cogs because I'm fine with a triple. (Quick series is Triple until after the SL3. SL4 would have the compact) But if that's a biggie for you, consider it. I think the spread of gears on my 4 is plenty large & I could certainly never create enough power to utilize top gear on my bike anyway.

Quick 4 is the last of the regular Quick frame (a joy to ride, imho). Quick 3 changes to "SL" which is a slightly more rigid frame and while probably edgier, was not as pleasant to me (just mho) but otherwise all are great bikes.

As a dark horse, you might check out the Fuji Absolutes too. Performance bike was selling the Absolute 1.4's at a great price ($599 I think) which have the 28cm slicks on it like the Trek 7.5 and some good upgraded components. Good bike, I just loved the Quick 4 too much.

Have fun!
Old 02-08-14, 08:56 AM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji absolute rides so smooth and is great value. I have always had a thing for specialized frames and even like the globe comfort line. A Sirrus would be a great bike. I'm workin on picking up an older Sirrus road bike right now.
Old 02-08-14, 10:45 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please consider this..........

Thanks for the reply,

What it change your mind if I could get the 2014 FX 7.5 for $900 and the 7.6 for $1050?

John

Originally Posted by deerfly
For the 7.5 FX ($1,100),
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ess/fx/7_5_fx/#

the closest thing from the other big brands would be:

Cannondale Quick SL2($1,080)
https://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/935/

Specialized Sirrus Comp ($1,100)
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us/sirrus-comp

Giant Escape RX ($1,125)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x/14809/66195/

When I bought my SL2, I had tried the other bikes listed above except for the Escape RX, I had tried the Rapid 1 instead (no longer made). I liked the Rapid a lot but the price was higher than I wanted to pay. The Trek was okay but nothing special, I'm sure others will disagree. The SL2 and Sirrus Comp were at the top of the list and I went with the SL2 because it fit me better. I've got a bad neck and the Cannondale was a little shorter reach.

Comparisons with the 7.4 FX get a bit more jumbled up because the other brands have models just a bit more expensive and others just a little less expensive. As with all bikes, it would be best to test ride as many as you can to get a feel for what you like.
Old 02-08-14, 11:18 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Once you have an acceptable cost involved, I'll bet almost any dealer would match prices for similar bikes............ Which one has the best fit, most pleasing looks, best components?
Old 02-08-14, 11:38 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mmmmm......I'd probably stick with the 7.5. That's an attractive price on the 7.6 but I'm more a Shimano fan vs SRAM (no real reason, just more familiar) and the 7.5 is the first model up with the monostay frame. Littlest nit pick would be the 28's on the 7.5 vs the 25's on the 7.6. I think 32cm is perfect. 28's are a little narrow to me but 25's would DEFINITELY be too narrow......at least for me.....on a hybrid.

I'd stick with the 7.5, myself.

Originally Posted by Italia1970
Thanks for the reply,

What it change your mind if I could get the 2014 FX 7.5 for $900 and the 7.6 for $1050?

John
Old 02-08-14, 12:37 PM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Italia1970
Thanks for the reply,

John
Those are pretty decent prices and I would be inclined to look at the 7.6 for the better componentry.
But, it's not likely I would change my mind. I didn't like the feel of the 7.5 and the 7.6 shares the same frame. There is no reason to think I would like the 7.6 any better. Regardless of cost, a person has to like what they are riding.

With that said, don't go by how I would have decided. If you like the FX 7.5 or 7.6 then by all means go for it. Those are both really good deals and you won't go wrong with either, what's important is that YOU like it.

The point of my original post was just to answer your question of alternatives to the FX bikes. Probably shouldn't have thrown in my opinions of each since that isn't what you were asking.

Last edited by deerfly; 02-08-14 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 09:04 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I don't know much, but I know I'd like a 9 speed and a carbon fork. The FX7.4 is the first FX with the carbon fork and is well out of my price range at retail $800 (I think). I will most likely go with a Giant Excape 1 at retail $650 with a carbon fork and a 9 speed cassette.
What are the component differential between the Trek FX 7.4 and Giant Escape 1 to justify the $150 differential?
Old 02-08-14, 09:08 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceHankins
Fuji absolute rides so smooth and is great value. I have always had a thing for specialized frames and even like the globe comfort line. A Sirrus would be a great bike. I'm workin on picking up an older Sirrus road bike right now.
Bruce, which model Fuji and Sirrus are most similar to the Trek 7.4 and 7.5?
Old 02-08-14, 10:40 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giant Escapes are the best long distance rides, the Aluminum is extremely well done and best for comfort from the test rides and ownership exp I have had.
Now if you're talking fun to ride, I'm most partial to Sirrus line of bikes from Specialized.
Old 02-09-14, 06:01 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2012 Fuji Absolute 2 and love the bike. The components are high-quality. I replaced the saddle and plan to upgrade the wheels this coming season. The bike, as configured, is an excellent value. The wheels are the only element that could be improved, but they, too, are not really bad, just not as sturdy as a lot of choices in the $200-400 range.

My bike was purchased for $599 at the beginning of 2013 season (Performance Bike).

I bought a Fuji Absolute for my wife and she loves it.
Old 02-09-14, 08:54 AM
BruceHankins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Italia1970
The 7.4FX, Specialized Sirrus Elite, and the Fuji 1.5 are all similar in what they offer. Assuming you're not talking about a 7.4FX WSD or Disc. I prefer the Sirrus Elite with slightly better gearing having a 50T big ring and 11-30 (vs 11-32) cassette. It also has a mix of Tiagra components and is a little more road oriented. The Fuji however comes with a Carbon fork standard and is a good feature at that price range.

The 7.5FX is more in the flat bar road bike range with sora components and a 9x2 drivetrain and 50/39 compact crank. The Sirrus Comp is comparable, but not my first choice because it uses SRAM components. The Absolute 1.1D, however features a 10x2 set up with a mix Tiagra/105. It has internal cable routing, which looks great and is the best value for money as far as I'm concerned. At that price range, it's what I'd pick up.

If you're willing to go drop bar and up your price a little, the world of touring/do anything bikes goes nuts.
Old 02-09-14, 09:17 AM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Italia1970
The 7.4FX, Specialized Sirrus Elite, and the Fuji 1.5 are all similar in what they offer. Assuming you're not talking about a 7.4FX WSD or Disc. I prefer the Sirrus Elite with slightly better gearing having a 50T big ring and 11-30 (vs 11-32) cassette. It also has a mix of Tiagra components and is a little more road oriented. The Fuji however comes with a Carbon fork standard and is a good feature at that price range.

The 7.5FX is more in the flat bar road bike range with sora components and a 9x2 drivetrain and 50/39 compact crank. The Sirrus Comp is comparable, but not my first choice because it uses SRAM components. The Absolute 1.1D, however features a 10x2 set up with a mix Tiagra/105. It has internal cable routing, which looks great and is the best value for money as far as I'm concerned. At that price range, it's what I'd pick up.

If you're willing to go drop bar and up your price a little, the world of touring/do anything bikes goes nuts.
Where are you getting your information from? The Sirrus Elite does not have Tiagra components, it has a mix of Acera and Alivio, which are both mountain bike components. It also had a carbon fork, which you indicate it does not. You even have the gearing wrong, the Elite does indeed have an 11-32 cassette, for that matter, both the Elite and the 7.4 FX have the exact same gearing.
You have listed similar errors when comparing the Sirrus Comp to the 7.5FX. The components on the Comp are at a higher level than they are on the 7.5, regardless of whether they are Shimano or SRAM. Are you sure you were looking at the correct bikes?
Old 02-09-14, 09:19 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Italia1970

Bruce,

Excellent job of articulating your thoughts.

I will of course test drive each of these when the weather is nicer, just trying to narrow the range of bikes down. Regarding the 7.4, the carbon fork seems like a great idea, although I will see if it makes a big difference for where I ride. So to summarize, in your opinion, you prefer the slightly better gearing over the carbon fork, is that correct?

Regarding the 7.5, I can get the 2014 for $1050. Also, in my ignorant opinion, I have been led to believe that SRAM/SHIMANO is a preferential difference, not necessarily a quality difference, do you agree? I do like the idea of internal cable routing, do you see this feature as something all the higher end bikes will adopt? If not, why not?

John
Old 02-09-14, 09:27 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are pretty decent prices and I would be inclined to look at the 7.6 for the better componentry.
But, it's not likely I would change my mind. I didn't like the feel of the 7.5 and the 7.6 shares the same frame. There is no reason to think I would like the 7.6 any better. Regardless of cost, a person has to like what they are riding.

With that said, don't go by how I would have decided. If you like the FX 7.5 or 7.6 then by all means go for it. Those are both really good deals and you won't go wrong with either, what's important is that YOU like it.

The point of my original post was just to answer your question of alternatives to the FX bikes. Probably shouldn't have thrown in my opinions of each since that isn't what you were asking.
You are right,

I didn't ask for your opinion, but I value it.

You seem very knowledgeable and I can learn from your expertise. Please feel free to add any other information that you feel would be relevant to my search.

I have looked at the links for all the bikes that you suggested, but I am ignorant when it comes to components, so it is hard for me to know where each bikes is superior/inferior to the others.

If you could provide a list of best components for derailers, cranks, etc from best to worst, it would help me a lot. Please do this if you a) want to and b) are knowledgeable enough to do so.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-09-14, 09:42 AM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are various sites on the web which will list a hierarchy level of components and you may find some variations from one chart to another. Here is one from a UK website that has a simple chart. This site also has a lot of bike to bike comparative information.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/star-ratings-explained/

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-14, 09:48 AM
BruceHankins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@deerfly you're correct in my error on the Elite. I have way to much going on this morning and got it mixed up with another bike. Still my opinion of liking the Specialized more stands. As far as the Comp with SRAM components being a much higher level, I'm not familiar with SRAMs hierarchy as I don't really use them. I was looking more at price points for initial purchase price around $1000.

Sorry for the mistakes, I'll make sure to proof read next time. 😅 In the end though, I would still choose the Fuji Absolute 1.1D in that price range. SRAM vs Shimano is very LARGELY a personal preference. Many people prefer Campagnolo to other brands. I've just had good experience with Shimano and not so much with SRAM. I do know that all of them (SRAM, Shimano, Campy) make very good high level components.
Old 02-09-14, 10:24 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deerfly,

Thanks, it is a great start although the list isn't extensive, I saw components listed on Trek, Giant, that were not on the list you provided, but a great help regardless.

There are various sites on the web which will list a hierarchy level of components and you may find some variations from one chart to another. Here is one from a UK website that has a simple chart. This site also has a lot of bike to bike comparative information.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/star-ratings-explained/

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-14, 12:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As a Type * the many TW made brands are more similar than different..
component pick price points influence the final Price ..

* Hybrid, cross bike, etc. , a variety of names in various markets
flatbar 700c 35 ish tires .

some parts picks assume you want a 50-34 compact double . is that what you want. ?

Triple cranks may work better .. if your favorite gears require frequent double shifts ..
staying on the middle ring may be simpler ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-09-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 09:10 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which component set is superior sram x7 or sram via centro and why?
Old 02-14-14, 10:00 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would appreciate all value adding responses!!!

Thanks,

John
Old 02-15-14, 03:58 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I just got my wife a Marin Terra Linda WFG on closeout for cheap and I must say it is a fantastic bike. The Acera 3x9 drivetrain is super smooth and the rapidfire shifters are really nice. If you are a size 19 you can get the Fairfax which is the men's version on ebay for $450 shipped. Bike pretty much comes assembled and just needs a couple tweaks to get it running perfect. The bike is aluminum frame with carbon fork which at that price range is a steal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.