Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need some help- input

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Need some help- input

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 10:46 PM
Wannacycle99

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Quick SL3, Raleigh C40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some help- input

I have been on the search in lbs for a hybrid to ride on the road and crushed granite trails in the Austin / Round Rock TX area. So far I have been recommended the cannondale quick 3 ladies. I also found a 2013 marin San anselmo ds3. The marin is on sale for 639.00 and I think the 2014 quick is 849.00 can anyone help lead me in the right direction.
Old 02-20-14, 08:12 AM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone give me some pros or cons - other suggestions, or options? I am willing to take any info to process.Lbs is holding a bike for me.
Old 02-20-14, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
don't over think this .. Pick the bike shop you like doing business with first, then get a bike from them ..

seek out the size for the best fit, ask about stem &saddle (etc) changes to improve the fit if necessary

really the assembly attention to detail and service after the sale is where the difference may lay.

old saying 'All things being equal, they will be' ..
Old 02-20-14, 07:32 PM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks fietsbob - bike shops are equal and both have one of the bikes- With all do respect I need an objective comparison of the 2 bikes including what are the pros and cons especially considering cost differential. I also would love some other alternatives.
Spending approximately 1000.00 for a new sport including rack and other accessories needs some thinking. I am not that flip about that much money.
Old 02-21-14, 09:13 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannacycle99
I have been on the search in lbs for a hybrid to ride on the road and crushed granite trails in the Austin / Round Rock TX area. So far I have been recommended the cannondale quick 3 ladies. I also found a 2013 marin San anselmo ds3. The marin is on sale for 639.00 and I think the 2014 quick is 849.00 can anyone help lead me in the right direction.
Even though both bikes are considered hybrids, they serve different purposes. Both are decent in their own catagory but the Cannondale is more of a pavement bike while the Marin is a combination of pavement and trail/dirt road riding (Dual Sport), so long as neither are too rough. If you were talking strictly paved and/or smooth surfaces I would lean towards the Cannondale. It is much better suited for this type of riding. If you start throwing in some trails or bumpy surfaces then I would lean towards the Marin.

Just to throw a wrench into things, I probably wouldn't buy the Marin at the $639 price tag you have. If that is the bike you want, I would go with this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-S...ht_4697wt_1166

It is virtually the same bike for $190 less. You can get it in sizes besides what's in the link and assembly isn't really that difficult. You can also get it from Amazon for the same price.

Last edited by deerfly; 02-21-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 04:06 PM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deer fly -thanks so much for the input - I haven't got much. I checked out the bike on line and that is a great deal. The LBS gives me 15% off on accessories with purchase and 2 bike adjustments check up etc. and a fitting to start.

the bike comes in a box and while for most ppl that wouldn't be a big deal but with no exp. I wouldn't want to mess that up. Called the lbs and was honest about more than 1 place that had them for 449.00 and 459.00.

He came down to 599.00 and while 150.00 more I get the bike put together, fitted and 2 65.00 svc. Plus the 15% off bike stuff at purchase.

I so appreciate your help - i am still torn about the cannondale but for a first real decent bike 250.00 is a big difference.

again thanks on my way to pedaling 50lbs off this frame!
Old 02-21-14, 05:01 PM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really like the Cannondale but the price is too high, you may want to take a step down and look at the Quick 4. These sell in the $700 range and are decent bikes. The fit and feel would be similar to the Quick 3 but has a lower level of componentry. My wife has one and loves it. Don't limit yourself to only looking at the womens versions. You may find that the mens version fits you better, which is what happened to my wife.
Old 02-22-14, 08:29 PM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DEERFLY
Thanks - I decided to go to rei and pick up both bikes for a weight comparison. The cannondale is much lighter 24lbs and 29# for the marin. I am 5'2" so weight was a clear thing I could measure. I definitely like the cannondale over the marin re looks particularly. The rei guys were great, they searched for a men's as well (2013) to no avail and that was at there suggestion not mine. One thing that did sway me was one of the mechanics told me that his father insisted on a lockout fork for his bike and he never uses it.

The quick 3 sl has a carbon fiber fork and he said it will absorb a lot of vibration.

So net net after driving myself crazy, I decided..... To bite the bullet and buy the 2014 Cannondale quick sl3 - it was 849.00- I will get 85.00 back as a member, so net cost 765.00 vs. the 600.00 for the 2013 Marin. I thought 165.00 was worth the bike I was more excited about.

i so appreciate your input and help - all the input from all different bike shops was great too. I do wish more ppl would have responded here, I was a little surprised and disappointed that ppl wouldn't help a newbie out.
i think maybe I should change my id to gonnacycle99!
lol
Thanks again!

Last edited by Wannacycle99; 02-22-14 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Auto save didn't catch all of msg
Old 02-23-14, 08:55 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannacycle99
DEERFLY
I definitely like the cannondale over the marin re looks particularly.
Within reason, this is a very valid reason to choose one bike over another, when other differences aren't night and day.

I know with my next bike purchase, because it will be my first bike purchase for 19 years, I really want the "feel good factor" about what I get, so my motivation to ride the hell out of it, stays high.

So for me at present, then tends to eliminate certain brands right from the start.

Having said that, I suspect that I might end up buying a second bike within a few years of the next one, and then I think I will be much more open to different brands.
Old 02-23-14, 09:32 AM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Raleigh c40 -ok bike but I never really rode it. I needed to be inspired! I choked at the $ hopefully that will be part of the inspiration. I am only 5'2" so weight was a bit of a concerned. I wanted to get a good value the marin did that but I wasn't over the moon. Lbs's all said it was a great deal and a great bike but go with what you are most happy with. In the Austin area the cannondale will hold its value more( I think) if I ever want to upgrade. I was really on the fence about the lock out fork but when lbs bike shop tech said he told his dad he didn't need that and dad still thought he did the the dad hasn't used it. I mainly will use it on the road and crushed granite trails.
Old 02-23-14, 11:32 AM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You made the right choice. In the long run I think you will be much happier with what you got over the Marin. That's not to say that the Marin isn't a decent bike but for the type of riding you will be doing, I think the Cannondale will work out better. Have fun!
Old 02-23-14, 09:06 PM
Wannacycle99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the encouragement - I am so excited! Hopefully it will be here by the 10th and then they have to assemble , adjust it and fit it! It was 80 here today - I am ready to ride - going to go to the gym every other day to cycle to get somewhat prepared.