Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

I am comparing the following Hybrid fitness bikes, please provide your thoughts!!!!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

I am comparing the following Hybrid fitness bikes, please provide your thoughts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 03:42 PM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Guys,

I have not ridden any of the following bikes, but I am in the process of comparing the following mainly for fitness activities:

Specialized Sirrus Comp

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us/sirrus-comp

Giant Escape RX

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x/14809/66195/

Trek FX 7.6

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ness/fx/7_6_fx

Cannondale Quick SL 2

https://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/935/

To this point the best bang for the buck appears to be the Comp based on its higher grade shifters and derailers, the end bars, and the carbon fork with the zertz inserts.

Please give me your thoughts, experience, suggestions regarding this group and any other brands as well.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by Italia1970; 02-22-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-22-14, 08:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a lot to choose between them. Honestly I think you should skip the Cannondale with its goofy wheels and otherwise pick whichever looks coolest.
Old 02-22-14, 09:28 AM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
...otherwise pick whichever looks coolest.
That's the best advice... if you're mounting your bike above your fireplace.

OP, go test ride the bikes and which ever bike fits you the best and is most comfortable is the one you should buy.
Old 02-22-14, 09:51 AM
ps249

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I have the Giant Escape RX Composite which is the same as the aluminum RX component wise. They use Giants advanced grade aluminum whish is lighter than their standard aluminum frames. You can get that one new for around $999 US. I can say the Giant is a good choice - I just don't like their color scheme on that bike. The shifters are a step up from the Shimano Deore rapid shifters which work excellent. This bike is about as close as you can get to a road bike. The geometry on my RX is excellent as I test rode mine fro a few miles last fall and I did not notice any discomfort from the seat.
Old 02-22-14, 01:05 PM
Winnershcyclist

Bikes: Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Sirrus and a Trek the Sirrus is my favourite and a trek 2nd

Originally Posted by Italia1970
Guys,

I have not ridden any of the following bikes, but I am in the process of comparing the following mainly for fitness activities:

Specialized Sirrus Comp

Giant Escape RX

Trek FX 7.6

Cannondale Quick SL 2

To this point the best bang for the buck appears to be the Comp based on its higher grade shifters and derailers, the end bars, and the carbon fork with the zertz inserts.

Please give me your thoughts, experience, suggestions regarding this group and any other brands as well.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-22-14, 01:13 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I purchase a couple of Giant Escape RX0's last year. Basically the same bike as the regular RX only lighter and better parts. My wife and I and put over 8,000 miles on them last year. They are such a great bike for the $$ that we just purchased a couple of the RX composites. The geometry just works for us and Giant provides a great bike for the price. The only downside they don't pay you for all the advertising…. way too many Giant labels.
Old 02-22-14, 01:24 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek 7.6 is 1319.00, might as well get a carbon frame for a little bit more. You will probably stay with carbon once you feel the extra comfort.
Old 02-22-14, 01:50 PM
ps249

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I purchase a couple of Giant Escape RX0's last year. Basically the same bike as the regular RX only lighter and better parts. My wife and I and put over 8,000 miles on them last year. They are such a great bike for the $$ that we just purchased a couple of the RX composites. The geometry just works for us and Giant provides a great bike for the price. The only downside they don't pay you for all the advertising…. way too many Giant labels.
LOL I agree. I think I counted 37 times Giant logo on this bike!
Old 02-22-14, 02:58 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There doesn't seem to be a lot to choose between them. Honestly I think you should skip the Cannondale with its goofy wheels and otherwise pick whichever looks coolest.
Geez...I wish someone had told me this before I spent $950. For the longest time I actually liked my bike, now I find out it has "goofy wheels", how embarrassing....kind of like walking around with your fly down.

Last edited by deerfly; 02-22-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-22-14, 03:19 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbr9927
The Trek 7.6 is 1319.00, might as well get a carbon frame for a little bit more. You will probably stay with carbon once you feel the extra comfort.

I can get the 7.6 for $1050.
Old 02-22-14, 04:18 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Guys,

Specialized Sirrus Comp

Giant Escape RX

Trek FX 7.6

Cannondale Quick SL 2

Thanks,

John

Just got the Escape RX Composite. But it seems your budget is in the $1000+ range
All these bikes will be great. I considered all of these brands but in their Carbon style.

If I didn't go with a Giant carbon the Sirrus Comp would be my pick or the Comp Disc. AT $1100-$1200 your getting good components and a really comfortable ride and surprisingly fast bike. I am not a big fan of the FX series because they are bland looking and charge a lot compared to Giant or even Specialized.

The Escape RX is good, but for the same money you can get better specs with other competitors

BUT this all comes down to fit. For me my composite has me a little stretched out compared to a Sirrus or Quick.

Overall great bikes and any of these bikes will make a good performance hybrid
Old 02-23-14, 10:57 AM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Coda: https://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_2

Or Jamis Allegro: https://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...cat_grp=strt_3

Both offer more for your buck than the bikes you mentioned. Jamis is good like that. And, they are not rolling advertisements, which is a HUGE plus.

The Allegro is more towards what your looking for, but the Coda offers steel frame suppleness, and hydraulic disc brakes to stop on a dime...

My honest opinion. Take that for what little its worth
Old 02-23-14, 11:25 AM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we are going to start talking alternate brands, for the price, this Marin tops them all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MARIN-M...ht_4383wt_1166
Old 02-23-14, 12:13 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ya, definitely do NOT omit the Quick!! If I'd never ridden the Quick I'd have probably ended up with the Specialized because it was the closest "feel" to the Quick, but the Quick just felt the best to me all around. The saddle felt right, the geometry felt right, my hands on the grips felt right, the rise on the stem (higher than most @ 12 degrees.....Sirrus has high stem rise also!) and the amazing amount of shock absorption on that "C'dale SiS/Save" system is just amazing. It just felt like a glove to me.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that unless something on the Quick SL2 intrigues you, take a ride on a Quick 4. It's the first model with carbon forks and uses the less rigid S-frame (vs the SL frame) which, like I said, just absorbs road imperfections so friggin' beautifully you'd think it had Trek's Zertz inserts in it or something.

Jrasero is EXACTLY right saying that the Giant stretches you a bit more (something you'll gather quickly about varying geometries which is precisely WHY you need to test ride all of them).

And I don't know if my expectations were just too high on the Trek, but Trek just did not impress me. Nothing wrong with it, just a lot of money for their bikes & for me Cannondale Quick 4 and Specialized Sirrus Sport or Elite with the Quick 4 taking the win.

Enjoy making your choice & try not to OCD.....I do that.....it ain't fun, but 110% happy with my Quick 4!
Old 02-24-14, 09:29 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice, keep it rolling.
Old 02-24-14, 10:14 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks does play a big part in the selection of a bike. The Trek 7.6 and the Sirrus Comp are just boring and ugly looking. If it was my only bike and I had to look at it all the time I would probably get the Cannondale Quick. All these hybrids don't stray too far from each other for how they ride but do fit a heck of a lot different to me.

I would choose the Cannondale cause of the small rear triangle, most agile.

To be fair my Sirrus is a boring sometimes to look at, just it rides like a dream!

Last edited by cbr9927; 02-25-14 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-27-14, 12:39 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anymore?
Old 02-27-14, 04:17 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I can't give much of a comparison, however I recently bought a Sirrus. I bought the Sport model, I looked at the upper models and even road tested a disc model..maybe the comp. nice bike but the 3x9 sold me on the sport. I live in a hilly area and the extra gears are helpful to me. I have only had it out once but compared to my winter bike (GT Timberline) it is a dream, much faster more agile etc. I love the bike, however the winter salt has me on the GT for now. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-27-14, 07:32 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just my opinion...I would go with Specialized for looks, but Giant seems like the best deal overall. It would be no brainer if Specialized was equipped with Shimano drive train.
Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by lopek77; 02-27-14 at 09:07 PM. Reason: YouTube video
Old 02-27-14, 07:47 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deerfly
Geez...I wish someone had told me this before I spent $950. For the longest time I actually liked my bike, now I find out it has "goofy wheels", how embarrassing....kind of like walking around with your fly down.
I also don't like the look of these wheels lol Sorry its so embarrassing to you ;-) OK....joking to the side. Many folks complain about crappy quality or at least cutting corners by Cannondale since it was bought by the maker of Schwinn, GT and Mongoose to name a few. How do you like it and how do you compare the "feel", components and value to other bikes you check before you decided on Cannondale? I love their Bad boy 1.
Old 02-27-14, 08:32 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lopek77
Just my opinion...I would go with Specialized for looks, but Giant seems like the best deal overall. It would be no brainer if Specialized was equipped with Shimano drive train.
Good luck with your choice.
Lopez, I am in Toledo, where are you located?

John
Old 02-27-14, 08:48 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lopez, I am in Toledo, where are you located?

John
Not "Lopez", just lopek lol I'm 1.5 hr from Toledo in Oakland County area. Did Wabash Cannonball Trail /both south and north fork/ 2 years ago. Tried to find more trails there, but it looks like you will be better off to ride in Michigan than in your own state lol You have a hard choice to make. I love the look of Specialized. Its really sexy and good looking. I don't like SRAM tho...I'm using Shimano for the last 18-20 years and it never failed me. From the cheap to mid lvl components - it was always like old Toyotas....just refused to die lol
Old 02-27-14, 08:57 PM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not "Lopez", just lopek lol I'm 1.5 hr from Toledo in Oakland County area. Did Wabash Cannonball Trail /both south and north fork/ 2 years ago. Tried to find more trails there, but it looks like you will be better off to ride in Michigan than in your own state lol You have a hard choice to make. I love the look of Specialized. Its really sexy and good looking. I don't like SRAM tho...I'm using Shimano for the last 18-20 years and it never failed me. From the cheap to mid lvl components - it was always like old Toyotas....just refused to die lol
I am leaning towards the Sirrus Comp as that bike has the highest level components, the carbon fork with the zertz inserts, the bar ends and seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

I will ride all of these when the snow disappears and go from there.

Please feel free to offer any other models I should consider.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-28-14, 08:58 AM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also don't like the look of these wheels lol Sorry its so embarrassing to you ;-) OK....joking to the side. Many folks complain about crappy quality or at least cutting corners by Cannondale since it was bought by the maker of Schwinn, GT and Mongoose to name a few. How do you like it and how do you compare the "feel", components and value to other bikes you check before you decided on Cannondale? I love their Bad boy 1.
Are you asking me if I feel my bike is of "crappy quality"?
Yeah, that's what got me interested in the first place. The crappy quality was a real eye opener. I had been looking for a piece of junk and finally found it in the Cannondale.

As I had mentioned in another thread. I had test ridden a Giant Rapid, liked it but the price was a bit high. Test road a Trek FX7.5 and didn't like it. Test road a Sirrus Comp, did like it but liked the SL2 a little more. On paper, the Sirrus seems to have the edge on components but the SL2 felt better when riding. It fit ME better, everyone is different. Components are important but the real test is how it feels going down the road.

And no, I have absolutely no issues with the quality of my Cannondale and it is not inferior in any way to the other brands.
Old 02-28-14, 12:10 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deerfly
Are you asking me if I feel my bike is of "crappy quality"?
Yeah, that's what got me interested in the first place. The crappy quality was a real eye opener. I had been looking for a piece of junk and finally found it in the Cannondale.

As I had mentioned in another thread. I had test ridden a Giant Rapid, liked it but the price was a bit high. Test road a Trek FX7.5 and didn't like it. Test road a Sirrus Comp, did like it but liked the SL2 a little more. On paper, the Sirrus seems to have the edge on components but the SL2 felt better when riding. It fit ME better, everyone is different. Components are important but the real test is how it feels going down the road.

And no, I have absolutely no issues with the quality of my Cannondale and it is not inferior in any way to the other brands.
First part of your answer was totaly not needed. You just need to read with understanding. Its a very well known issue with cycling products from Dorel Industries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.