Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek or Specialized

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek or Specialized

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 01:02 PM
sprinj76

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek or Specialized

Which would you choose? I've narrowed down my choice to two bikes:

Trek DS 8.5 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._series/8_5_ds

or

Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...rail-comp-disc

I'm leaning towards the Trek bike because of the rear suspension and the remote lockout on the handle bars. I haven't rode a bike in years, but I'm looking for something to cross train with during my marathon training. Looking to ride on roads and trails.
Old 02-16-14, 01:25 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by sprinj76
Which would you choose? I've narrowed down my choice to two bikes:

Trek DS 8.5 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._series/8_5_ds

or

Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...rail-comp-disc

I'm leaning towards the Trek bike because of the rear suspension and the remote lockout on the handle bars. I haven't rode a bike in years, but I'm looking for something to cross train with during my marathon training. Looking to ride on roads and trails.
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, but am struggling to make a decision.

What doesn't help is that I don't particularly like the colour scheme on either bike.

Also not sure if the Trek 8.6 is a better choice, and unfortunately the next model up in Specialized range costs a small fortune.
Old 02-16-14, 01:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Giant Or Merida .. 2 big factories in Taiwan fill the contracts.

really parts can be changed... Does 1 dealer sell both?
If not, pick the dealer first . the service may differ more than the bike they sell ..
I'm leaning towards the Trek bike because of the rear suspension and the remote lockout on the handle bars.
DS is 'dual sport' , not double suspension .

add a Cane Creek Thud-buster suspension seat post , if you want a bit of comfort , on the back side.

want real active suspension, it's a Mountain bike you want not a Hybrid.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-16-14 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 01:36 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by fietsbob

If not, pick the dealer first . the service may differ more than the bike they sell ..

add a Cane Creek Thud-buster suspension seat post , if you want a bit of comfort , on the back side.

The 8.5 & 8.6 DS have a form of rear suspension built into the frame.
Old 02-17-14, 09:44 AM
sprinj76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, but am struggling to make a decision.

What doesn't help is that I don't particularly like the colour scheme on either bike.

Also not sure if the Trek 8.6 is a better choice, and unfortunately the next model up in Specialized range costs a small fortune.
Agreed, I'm not in love with either color choice, but I think I'd choose the white Specialized offers before the black Trek 8.5.

For me I'm not sure the 8.6 is worth the bump over the 8.5; the real reason I like the 8.5 is the remote lockout and the rear dampener that you get over the 8.4.

Which way are you leaning CS? Have you ridden both bikes? I've only been able to ride the 8.5, I haven't tried out the Crosstrail yet.

Originally Posted by fietsbob

Fortunately I have two local dealers that I've heard great things about, one sells Trek the other Specialized. I have no loyalty to either at this point.

Is Shimano or SRAM better for components? Is it just a matter of preference? Shimano SLX vs SRAM X7... I have no clue if one is some how superior to the other.

I guess rear suspension wasn't the correct thing to say, the Trek 8.5 offers a rear dampener built into the frame.
Old 02-17-14, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Shimano and SRAM they are competitors in the component supply stream marketplace to the factories

that build the bikes up.

The component selection product the managers of the brand importers choose, is their job.
price is part of he consideration.

(In the shop all I can do is describe whats there ,
why it was chosen is above my mendican status)

Better is really an opinion , it should be your opinion .. Test ride the bikes see if you like how one shifts Vs The other

they function slightly different. the shoving the chain sideways from 1 sized cogwheel
to another is the basic task. both work, ..

the suspension lockout on the fork is good , street riding the suspension is unnecessary .

hill climbing you bob up and down with the suspension action.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-17-14 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 10:41 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Agreed, I'm not in love with either color choice, but I think I'd choose the white Specialized offers before the black Trek 8.5.

For me I'm not sure the 8.6 is worth the bump over the 8.5; the real reason I like the 8.5 is the remote lockout and the rear dampener that you get over the 8.4.

Which way are you leaning CS? Have you ridden both bikes? I've only been able to ride the 8.5, I haven't tried out the Crosstrail yet.
No I haven't ridden either bike yet.

In Australia, Giant also offer what appear to be a higher spec'ed range of Roam bikes, with the Roam XR0 & XR1.

Why that is, I do not know, I'm guessing it will only be for a year and then it will disappear.

These Roam XR bikes also are contenders, but once again, I don't like the colour scheme.

I'm likely to wait till the 2015 models are announced and then decide if they are offering something better than the 2014 models, and then purchase accordingly.
Old 02-17-14, 05:20 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is Shimano or SRAM better for components? Is it just a matter of preference? Shimano SLX vs SRAM X7... I have no clue if one is some how superior to the other.
Both companies make both low-end and high-end parts;you'll find them on budget bikes and TdF racers. The pros will tell you they prefer one company's actuation ratio to the other,for mere mortals it's pretty much personal preference. For flat bar shifters,I prefer SRAM because they use two thumb levers vs Shimano's thumb and finger levers. I find them easier to use in the winter with heavy gloves. But if I buy a bike with Shimano shifters,I'll leave them on. For drop bar brifters,I'm on the fence. I prefer SRAM's DoubleTap lever to Shimano's brake lever and inner lever combo,but I much prefer the shape of Shimano's hoods. For chains,I only use SRAM because they're cheaper,come with a thick grease that lasts longer than the thin oil Shimano uses,and they use a reusable master link instead of Shimano's single-use pins.

Other than personal preference,the only thing to keep in mind between Shimano and SRAM is compatibility. Both chains and cassettes are compatible,with the exception of some of the high-end 10spd stuff. But they pull a different amount of cable for their rear derailleurs. Shimano shifters only work with Shimano ders;SRAM shifters only work with SRAM ders,with the exception of Rocket and Attack,which are Shimano compatible.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-17-14, 10:37 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I personally like the Specialized 2X10 vs the 3X9 the Trek has. Both forks have the lockout but the Trek does have 13mm more worth of suspension.
Old 02-18-14, 07:12 PM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto to above as well the components are superior on the Crosstrail. I'm having somewhat of a simulate dilema but its between Crosstrail Disc Pro, AWOL Pro, Tricross Disc Pro, Cannondale Synapse Ultegra and Cannondale CAADX Disk Ultegra.
Old 02-19-14, 04:51 PM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I much prefer the Trek over the Specialized, as triples are essential per the ascents I make on my century & double century rides.
Old 02-24-14, 09:20 PM
sprinj76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drturf
Ditto to above as well the components are superior on the Crosstrail. I'm having somewhat of a simulate dilema but its between Crosstrail Disc Pro, AWOL Pro, Tricross Disc Pro, Cannondale Synapse Ultegra and Cannondale CAADX Disk Ultegra.
I've joined you in this dilemma... after stopping at my local specialized bike shop.

I stopped in the specialized dealer to check out the crosstrail bike, I didn't know which if any level they would have. Turns out they've had a very busy off season and sold the couple that they had. After talking to the sales associate I told him what kind of riding I was looking at doing and he strongly suggested a cyclocross bike with carbon forks to help with the few bumps in the road I might him. He said it should also be more capable for our terrain and the trail riding I'm looking at doing (think rails to trails paths).

I was so focused on getting a bike with a front suspension lockout, it finally struck me that I don't need the front suspension at all, lol.

So now I'm looking for a bike with hydraulic brakes and a carbon front fork. Right now I really like this bike: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us-comp-carbon

I wish the sirrus comp with disc brakes came with a carbon fork, but only the non-disc brake version comes with a carbon front fork and I'm not ready to give up the hydraulic disc brakes

Unfortunately we probably have 2 months of winter still before I'll be able to test ride any of the bikes I'm considering. I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen times yet, lol
Old 03-03-14, 07:14 AM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be warned: in contrast to most hybrids, the DS series frame proportions are more akin to a hardcore crosscountry mtb. If thats the type of riding you are after, great, if not you will likely find there is too much reach as the effective top tube is relatively long and going down a size may not always work (as you also loose headtube = handlebar height).

May not apply to you but I sure wish to heck someone had given me that heads up last year.
Old 03-03-14, 08:24 AM
ps249

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
With front suspension your not going for speed. Do you really need hydraulic brakes on slower bikes?
Old 03-03-14, 08:44 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
Be warned: in contrast to most hybrids, the DS series frame proportions are more akin to a hardcore crosscountry mtb. If thats the type of riding you are after, great, if not you will likely find there is too much reach as the effective top tube is relatively long and going down a size may not always work (as you also loose headtube = handlebar height).

May not apply to you but I sure wish to heck someone had given me that heads up last year.
This is a very interesting heads up and one I will pay definite attention to when I shop around for my hybrid.

Just doing a comparison on Trek, Giant & Specialized Hybrids in the 21" Frame size range, I get the following from their websites.

TREK
8.6 DS --> Top Tube Length --> 620mm
8.6 DS --> Wheel Base --------> 1100mm
8.6 DS --> Stand Over --------> 797mm

Giant
Roam 0 --> Top Tube Length --> 597mm
Roam 0 --> Wheel Base --------> 1097mm
Roam 0 --> Stand Over --------> 813mm

Specialized
Cross/T --> Top Tube Length --> 615mm
Cross/T --> Wheel Base --------> 1106mm
Cross/T --> Stand Over --------> 842mm

So Trek has a longer Top Tube Length over Giant of 2.3 cm(just shy of an inch).

For your problem with the reach, if you got this kind of handlebar(below) and angled it back towards you, would it likely fix your problems?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod105450

Old 03-03-14, 08:45 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by ps249
With front suspension your not going for speed. Do you really need hydraulic brakes on slower bikes?
Downhill and/or in the rain.
Old 03-03-14, 09:10 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Why not?
D'you think you, on your Giant, would be faster than this fellow on his mtb or on a Trek DS or Spec. Crosstrail -- on or off-road?

Attached Images
Old 03-03-14, 11:53 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not necessarily true, the intent of my DS is for riding dirt roads and light trails. For anything heavier, I use a MTB. For pavement I use my SL2.

Neither of those 2 bikes would keep up with the DS under certain situations. On pavement, the SL2 would win. Single track, my Marin would win.

"Speed" is relative to the conditions you are riding in.

The use of disk brakes has nothing to do with speed, MTB's are slower than road bikes, yet most will run disk brakes.
Old 03-03-14, 01:29 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Is that big of a deal? I thought aero bars made the biggest difference, if you don't have those then it's negligible
Old 03-03-14, 03:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Knees and elbows make excellent suspension , just rise off the saddle ..
Old 03-03-14, 04:06 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hydros require less maintenance and have better feel.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-04-14, 12:13 PM
sprinj76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you really need hydraulic brakes on slower bikes?
No, probably not but I really like the feel/feedback of hydraulic brakes. I'm still considering the sirrus comp with v-brakes. I've also read that disc brakes often give you more room for larger tires, which I'd like to have the option of putting 32-38mm tires on the sirrus without having any clearance issues.

So Trek has a longer Top Tube Length over Giant of 2.3 cm(just shy of an inch).
Isn't it the distance between the seat and the handle bars the determining factor that effects the amount you lean forward on the bike? The top tube length isn't always a good indication of this due to it often being at an angle. Just thinking aloud, I'm not really sure.

Downhill and/or in the rain.
Exactly! Or commuting with racks and/or gear.

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Hydros require less maintenance and have better feel.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 03-04-14, 12:24 PM
sprinj76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really think I'd like a fitness type bike for my first "real" bike. I could really see getting into mountain biking and the trails that go along with this bikes. Long term I'd like to also get a 29" bike with much better suspension to use for single track and have a hybrid for fitness/getting around town/paved and packed trails. Although the crosstrail and DS seem like very nice bikes it seems like too much overlap with a 29" bike to make two bikes worth it.

I'm going to check with the LBS to see if they have these in stock, or are willing to order them for me to try:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us/sirrus-comp
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...us-comp-carbon

They seem like really nice bikes that would last me a while. I like the 2x10 setups, carbon forks and components

Do you all think the carbon would be worth the upgrade over the regular comp? Both are in my budget. I really like the carbon for the disc brakes and the carbon frame. Remember I do plan on riding this bike for a while, both in terms of session and length of owner ship. I can run 26.2 in under 4 hours, I plan on being able to bike 3-4 hours at a time, and I'd like to do it semi comfortable on the trails around me. I'd also like to keep the bike 10+ years
Old 03-04-14, 12:53 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, probably not but I really like the feel/feedback of hydraulic brakes. I'm still considering the sirrus comp with v-brakes. I've also read that disc brakes often give you more room for larger tires, which I'd like to have the option of putting 32-38mm tires on the sirrus without having any clearance issues.

Isn't it the distance between the seat and the handle bars the determining factor that effects the amount you lean forward on the bike? The top tube length isn't always a good indication of this due to it often being at an angle. Just thinking aloud, I'm not really sure.

Exactly! Or commuting with racks and/or gear.

Couldn't agree more!

It depends on how the dimension is written. "Horizontal" and "effective" top tube are a center line to center line dimension from the seat post to the stem, this is the amount of "reach". "Actual" top tube is just that, the actual length of the top tube.
Old 03-04-14, 02:54 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just bought the Specialized Comp Disc. Love it. Light, nimble, fast, fun. Everything I wanted. Recommended!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CROSSTRAIL COMP DISC.jpg (103.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg
CROSSTRAIL 3.jpg (102.7 KB, 51 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.