Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Who would buy this Crosstrail Pro Disc

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Who would buy this Crosstrail Pro Disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 06:01 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynaryder
And FYI, Martyn Ashton's video was a commercial stunt

So? IT WAS SPONSORED VIDEO/ADVERTISEMENT OF THE FIRST ROAD BIKE EVER WITH DISC BRAKES

His bike was also modified for him to be able to do all these stunts

No it was not. YES IT WAS MODIFIED. GOOGLE HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

It won the TdF,that's why it cost so much. If you had read the blurb on YouTube:
Martyn Ashton takes the £10k carbon road bike used by Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins & Mark Cavendish for a ride with a difference. With a plan to push the limits of road biking as far as his lycra legs would dare, Martyn looked to get his ultimate ride out of the awesome Pinarello Dogma 2. This bike won the 2012 Tour de France - surely it deserves a Road Bike Party! WRONG NUMBER MY FRIEND...AGAIN, GOOGLE IT CLOSER TO THE SOURCE. THERE IS 2 VIDEOS. I'M TALKING ABOUT 2ND, YOU TAKING ABOUT 1ST ONE

Here's the follow-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee54EP-nho4

I have no reason not to believe him. In fact,I'm pretty sure that is something had gone wrong,they would have shown it for comic relief. THERE IS NOTHING COMIC IN SHOWING YOUR PRODUCT FAILING...
I kind of like answering to you. It reminds me conversations between me and my 7 yo son. He is so hungry for knowledge...

Last edited by lopek77; 03-08-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 06:10 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude,what are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Please post a screen capture showing the disc brakes on that bike.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-08-14, 06:27 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
I kind of like answering to you. It reminds me conversations between me and my 7 yo son. He is so hungry for knowledge...
I simply don't understand why you keep this going; however:

1. Once again, how -- precisely -- is the sponsorship of Martyn Ashton's film(s) in any way relevant to the question of the alleged fragility/breakability of carbon fibre, or indeed to Martyn Ashton's accident?

2. Yes, the second bike (Colnago disc) was modified -- slightly; the first (a Pinarello) was not:

"This time, gone is the rim-braked Pinarello from Road Bike Party and in is the world’s first production disc-braked carbon fibre road racing bike, and bicycle equivalent of a Ferrari: Colnago’s C59 Disc. Besides the addition of hydraulic disc brakes, it’s the same frame raced by France’s Thomas Voeckler in the Tour de France.
In contrast to the original film – which used a completely stock Pinarello Dogma 2 – Martyn felt that the riding demanded some choice modifications, chiefly in the brake department to boost power and control to allow him to be able to really push his riding. In order to do this, some choice modifications were made (see annotations). This all pushed the bike’s total value to £15,000 ($24,500) approx.
Despite the tough treatment that was handed out to the bike, the only mechanicals incurred throughout were – amazingly – punctures, and one brake line that pulled-out as a result of a crash.
"

Again, none of this had/has anything whatsoever to do with the alleged fragility/breakability of carbon fibre, nor to do with Martyn Ashton's accident. That alleged fragility and that connection was your original point; neither has any basis whatsoever in fact. Chris Akrigg and Danny MacAskill completed the second video; I doubt very much they would have done so had materials failure been a cause of that accident. There is no reporting on such a failure because such a failure did not occur.
Old 03-08-14, 06:39 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
I simply don't understand why you keep this going; however:

1. Once again, how -- precisely -- is the sponsorship of Martyn Ashton's film(s) in any way relevant to the question of the alleged fragility/breakability of carbon fibre, or indeed to Martyn Ashton's accident?

2. Yes, the second bike (Colnago disc) was modified -- slightly; the first (a Pinarello) was not:

"This time, gone is the rim-braked Pinarello from Road Bike Party and in is the world’s first production disc-braked carbon fibre road racing bike, and bicycle equivalent of a Ferrari: Colnago’s C59 Disc. Besides the addition of hydraulic disc brakes, it’s the same frame raced by France’s Thomas Voeckler in the Tour de France.
In contrast to the original film – which used a completely stock Pinarello Dogma 2 – Martyn felt that the riding demanded some choice modifications, chiefly in the brake department to boost power and control to allow him to be able to really push his riding. In order to do this, some choice modifications were made (see annotations). This all pushed the bike’s total value to £15,000 ($24,500) approx.
Despite the tough treatment that was handed out to the bike, the only mechanicals incurred throughout were – amazingly – punctures, and one brake line that pulled-out as a result of a crash.
"

Again, none of this had/has anything whatsoever to do with the alleged fragility/breakability of carbon fibre, nor to do with Martyn Ashton's accident. That alleged fragility and that connection was your original point; neither has any basis whatsoever in fact. Chris Akrigg and Danny MacAskill completed the second video; I doubt very much they would have done so had materials failure been a cause of that accident. There is no reporting on such a failure because such a failure did not occur.
Not sure why you quoting me on this one again. I didn't post original link to that video. You should quote and ask Dynaryder about that lol
Old 03-08-14, 06:44 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude,what are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

Please post a screen capture showing the disc brakes on that bike.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
DUDE, you mixing facts and that's why we keep drilling this topic.
Old 03-08-14, 06:55 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Not sure why you quoting me on this one again. I didn't post original link to that video. You should quote and ask Dynaryder about that lol
I've no wish to engage in a protracted quarrel about this, and Dynaryder is perfectly capable of speaking for himself.
However, the fact is that you asserted that carbon fibre was/is unusually fragile, prone to failure etc., and you asserted a link between that alleged fact (which is nonsense) and Martyn Ashton's accident.
You have not produced, and there is no evidence for, either assertion.
I'm done with this.
Old 03-08-14, 07:02 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
I've no wish to engage in a protracted quarrel about this, and Dynaryder is perfectly capable of speaking for himself.
However, the fact is that you asserted that carbon fibre was/is unusually fragile, prone to failure etc., and you asserted a link between that alleged fact (which is nonsense) and Martyn Ashton's accident.
You have not produced, and there is no evidence for, either assertion.
I'm done with this.
I didn't...check it. I NEVER posted that link of Bike Party Video... And yes, I mentioned Martyns accident. I don't see anything wrong about it. This is bicycle forum and it was bicycle related tragedy. I didn't know about it until couple days ago. Same with few of my friends...we are still shocked about that. So...why you done with this? You confused me more than Dynaryder...I really don't understand what you keep trying to say.
Proof of carbon fiber bicycle components being fragile, under many recalls and simply not ready as a safe cycling technology is ALL OVER THE NET. You want me to produce tens of links about that? Its much easier to trust all of the different online sources than one lopek77 guy...so, what's the problem?

Last edited by lopek77; 03-08-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 07:37 PM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So,,,,would you buy a Specialized Crosstrail Pro Disc for $1,980?
Old 03-09-14, 09:12 AM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deerfly
lol Its a very nice bike. If you like it - go for it.
Old 03-09-14, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
no For that money I got something else , used, originally priced at $3600...
Old 03-09-14, 11:20 AM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
There is nothing better than "New bike smell" ;-)
Old 03-09-14, 11:57 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
For that money I got a piece of crap truck, originally priced at $25,000. I win.
Not sure where you were going with that.
Old 03-09-14, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Specialized brand dealer isnt around here anyhow , probably Trek has one with
all the same components , probably, crosses the Pacific in a different container, on the same ship.
Old 03-09-14, 12:31 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Every material can fail, but carbon fiber is most prone to fail. There was and will be many recalls of cf forks and other components...Its not a secret that cf is strong, but its also very fragile at the same time. I don't have many riding buddies with cf bikes, but all of them had catastrophic failure of their cf components. That includes seat rails, handlebars, fork and frame. And FYI, Martyn Ashton's video was a commercial stunt. His bike was also modified for him to be able to do all these stunt, and was worth around $24000... That price is just plain stupid, unless that bike was made from gold... Also, please don't forget that whatever you saw on that video was an excellent editing...they showed you whatever they wanted you to see...They also say that there was no failure of any of the components...Let's say we believe them.
Carbon Fiber can be stronger for a certain application if designed and built correctly. It is not inherently weaker than X material. What bothers many people about carbon fiber is its failure mode, which tends to be sudden and breaks into shards.
Old 03-09-14, 03:09 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DUDE, you mixing facts and that's why we keep drilling this topic.
My original post:
Yeah,CF is sooo dangerous.
My repost:
You apparently dug up another video and started going on about that. You're the one mixing things up.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-09-14, 03:50 PM
lopek77
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My original post:

My repost:

You apparently dug up another video and started going on about that. You're the one mixing things up.
How old are you? 10? Move on big shot...
Old 03-09-14, 05:49 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
this is the hybrid forum, right?
Old 03-09-14, 09:22 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)