Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs ADVICE on what type of bike to buy?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 07:18 PM
mrashy2004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am a newbie to riding and need help in picking a bike. I am VERY confused on what type of Trek bike to buy. Here is a little background:

1) 40 yr old male
2) 30 pounds overweight
3) Broken disc in my lower back which will be take care of by surgery later this year

I have gone to and looked at several Trek stores and I have no idea what bike to get. I have narrowed it down to the following:

1) Trek Verve 4
2) Trek Shift 4
3) Trek DS 8.4

I am not going to go off roading, and will just spend time on a road or paved pathway/trail. I think I am initially going to ride up to one hour, but would eventually like to ride longer.

I am very confused on what type of bike to get. I am worried if my back can handle an semi-upright position or if it needs to be a more aggressive riding position. Some professionals say stay away from an upright position, but when I rode the Shift, I loved it and didn't notice it being upright for me?

I have test driven all three bikes and I like all three of them. ANY, ANY advice would be very helpful to me since this is a big and expensive purchase for me.

Thank you to everyone that helps...
Old 05-17-14, 07:33 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'd buy the one I liked the best as this would be the one I'd ride the most. Let your backside be your guide.
Old 05-17-14, 08:34 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What you need is a Trek 7.4 Disc. Why? It is an excellent fitness bike that will help you to shed those pounds and have fun doing it. You don't need a heavy bike with front suspension. The 7.4 will do great on paved paths and fine limestone paths as well. I don't know about the back but you can tailor the 7.4 for more stretched out and more upright position--at least for me, I am good with a bunch of different geometries. Besides it would be hard to see how your back fairs unless you go for an hour long test drive. I know biking helped me lose 30lb a couple of years ago and it was the best thing to happen for my back (that and my inversion table)! I hope you can get similar results.
Old 05-17-14, 08:42 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by themishmosh
What you need is a Trek 7.4 Disc. Why? It is an excellent fitness bike that will help you to shed those pounds and have fun doing it. You don't need a heavy bike with front suspension. The 7.4 will do great on paved paths and fine limestone paths as well. I don't know about the back but you can tailor the 7.4 for more stretched out and more upright position--at least for me, I am good with a bunch of different geometries. Besides it would be hard to see how your back fairs unless you go for an hour long test drive. I know biking helped me lose 30lb a couple of years ago and it was the best thing to happen for my back (that and my inversion table)! I hope you can get similar results.
+1.

For the OP's purposes, I agree the FX would be a more suitable choice than the DS. I bought an 8.4 DS myself when I was in the market for a new fitness bike. I happened to test ride a 7.5 FX a few days after the purchase and immediately exchanged the DS for the FX.

I also have a back problem (a couple of herniated discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1). I've been riding my 7.5 FX a lot and it hasn't aggravated my back issue at all. In fact, my back feels much better since I've been riding it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-17-14, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+ 1 on the FX 7.5.
Doing some research the 2014 FX 7.5 has the same frame and fork as the 2012 Trek 7.7 which was the top FX back in 2012.
Old 05-17-14, 09:49 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This is a common issue at the shop where I work, as there are certainly many different types of bikes to choose from. As Panthers007 said, I would typically recommend going with the one that you enjoy riding the best; however, it's worth considering not only your current wants/needs, but your future aspirations as well. Between the Verve and Shift, for example, the only real difference is in the wheel/tire size. The 26" wheel and wider tire of the Shift offer greater stability at slower speeds, with more cushion for the ride. The 700c wheel and narrower tire of the Verve, on the other hand, offer less rolling resistance and better momentum for greater ease in riding faster and/or farther. If you're looking to eventually start going on much longer rides in the future, then I'd recommend the Verve as the bike that will allow you to do so more efficiently and comfortably. Neither one has a purely bolt-upright posture, as long as you're on the correct frame size, so I don't imagine that should be much of an issue.

If you're not going to be riding on any sort of off-road surface, then I'd agree with the others here who are voting against the Dual Sport. It's a mountain-style hybrid which is designed to be a multi-surface type of bike, ridden on both pavement and rougher terrain. If you're sticking to just the pavement, then it would be sort of unnecessary. Meanwhile, the FX line could indeed be worth checking out. The riding posture is not as upright as the the Verve or Shift, but it's not nearly as aggressive as that of a road bike. The FX run from the very basic 7.0 model up to the full-carbon 7.7 model. The 7.0 and 7.1 are entry-level recreational bikes, the 7.2, 7.3, & 7.4 are lighter and smoother-riding, with nicer components for longer rides, heavier use, commuting, etc., and the 7.5 and up are designed to be more sport/fitness-oriented, and are essentially flat-bar road bikes. Personally, I'd recommend looking at the 7.3 or 7.4, the latter of which does have a disc brake option if that's something in which you might be interested.

In any case, I hope that you're able to find the right bike, so you can get out and ride it! Best of luck!
Old 05-17-14, 10:14 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

I would also have to go with the 7.5FX!

However, IMO, if I was expecting something so serious as back surgery, I think I'd wait until after the surgery, before selecting the proper bicycle for myself. Meanwhile, I'd exhaust all other forms of exercise that would NOT require any major cash investment.

However, if money is no object, then having what might be a temporary means of exercise and enjoyment in the form of a bicycle (depending upon your medical condition), just might prove to be the right choice.

Good Luck!

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-18-14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 10:18 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
+ 1 on the FX 7.5.
Doing some research the 2014 FX 7.5 has the same frame and fork as the 2012 Trek 7.7 which was the top FX back in 2012.
Searching these forums for info on the 7.5 FX will show one thing consistently: They tend to be adored by their owners!

I'd at least look at one before you drop any money. But I stand on my previous suggestion.

Have fun!
Old 05-18-14, 12:13 AM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fx is a great choice. Front suspension is over rated and unnecessary for most applications. however there is such a thing as a suspension seatpost which may actually provide some relief for your tender back.
Nashbar Suspension 2 MTB Seatpost - Seatposts
Cane Creek Thudbuster LT Seatpost - Seatposts

of the 3 you have listed there Id go d.s, then verve, and the shift last.
Old 05-18-14, 07:21 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to be staying mainly on paved surfaces than I agree that an FX is a much better choice. I own a DS and mainly use it for bombing down dirt roads, I have a Cannondale Quick, which is comparable to the FX line, that I use for all pavement riding.

I too have (had) a bad disk and have had surgery twice in the last 4 months. They botched it the first time. Went for a 15 mile run on the DS a couple of days ago and felt great. Strange as it sounds, bike riding never bothered my back.

Good luck, half the fun of owning a bike is buying a bike!!!
Old 05-18-14, 07:55 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Having a bad back myself - I'm going to offer a different path...... (Spondolosis, Spondolethesis, L4 L5, bad shoulders, etc. Plus, I'm old!)

Buy a used bike, with big fat tires, and even a suspended fork ------ for now! Even a 26" would fit the bill here. An older Specialized Expedition would fit the bill nicely...... in a 26" SIZE tire.

Ride it often now, and gradually get back into it after surgery - you want to remove all shock to your back, that you can, for now, and immediately after surgery..... A front suspension does a marvelous job of managing shocks to your shoulders and back, and a suspended seatpost (thudbuster preferred) will help even more. Don't neglect lowering tire pressure as much as you can after surgery, to get rid of those sharp little shocks as well.

Six months to a year after surgery, buy whatever your back will allow ------ and enjoy.

You will thank me later. And, then, the Expedition will make a wonderful beater/utility bike!

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-18-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-18-14, 06:51 PM
mrashy2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Everyone,

First off, Thank you to everyone that has responded. I really appreciate everyone's input. Ok, so I went to a Trek store today and I tried the following:

Trek DS 8.4
Trek Verve 3
Trek FX7.4 Disc & Trek FX7.5

I eliminated the Trek Shift since I was told the Shift and Verve are very similar yet the Verve has a bigger tire which would be beneficial for me.

I liked all the bikes as they all seem to have advantages and disadvantages. The Verve was very nice and felt smooth while the imperfections of the road surfaces were eaten up nicely by the front fork. The DS was nice also, perhaps a tad slower then all the other bikes, but also seemed to eat up bounces on the road surface. Both FX was very fast, yet I felt the road the most with these two models. The LBS said I would be happier with a 7.5 since it has a rear suspension but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference to spend the extra $200 from the 7.4 to 7.5.

I am now even more confused since I really liked all the bikes. I tried 17.5 for DS and FX and then 19 for the Verve. After riding the 19, the 17.5 felt kinda small to me, but I now I am wondering what size I should be getting. (I am 5'8, 5'8.5 on a good day)

The last thing is that they are giving me a good deal on the 2013 DS 8.4. MSRP 899, they will sell it for $750 and if I come in tomorrow, they will price match an out of state Trek dealer who is selling it for $650.

Part of me says get the DS since it is a great deal and will give me more potential down the road, but the other part of me says stick with the Verve since it felt comfortable.

Lastly, the DS and 7.4 FX have Hydraulic breaks. Does that really make a difference over the regular breaks?

Thank you every one for all your help!
Old 05-18-14, 07:00 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by mrashy2004
I liked all the bikes as they all seem to have advantages and disadvantages. The Verve was very nice and felt smooth while the imperfections of the road surfaces were eaten up nicely by the front fork. The DS was nice also, perhaps a tad slower then all the other bikes, but also seemed to eat up bounces on the road surface. Both FX was very fast, yet I felt the road the most with these two models. The LBS said I would be happier with a 7.5 since it has a rear suspension but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference to spend the extra $200 from the 7.4 to 7.5.
You mean the IsoZone shock absorber on the 7.5 FX. It's a nice addition, and I like it. That said, there are other notable differences between the 7.4 and 7.5. The 7.5 FX has a compact double crank (2 gears) whereas the 7.4 has a triple crank (3 gears). The double is lighter, but if you do a lot of steep hill climbing, the lowest gear on the 7.4 may come in handy. I do my fair share of hill climbing on my 7.5 FX and haven't wished I'd had that extra gear, but it's just me. Also, the 7.5 has skinnier tyres (700x28 vs 700x32). Hope this helps.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-18-14, 07:10 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't allow yourself to be baited by any so-called "deals". Always buy the bike that feels the best to you. Being uncomfortable on a bike for hours will make you curse every dollar saved on that most stressful bike.
If you think the bike is slightly uncomfortable now, just wait until you're 30 miles down the road...

Always select a bike, the same way you'd select your spouse. If they don't make you feel good, then don't marry them!

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-18-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 02:36 PM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
You mean the IsoZone shock absorber on the 7.5 FX. It's a nice addition, and I like it. That said, there are other notable differences between the 7.4 and 7.5. The 7.5 FX has a compact double crank (2 gears) whereas the 7.4 has a triple crank (3 gears). The double is lighter, but if you do a lot of steep hill climbing, the lowest gear on the 7.4 may come in handy. I do my fair share of hill climbing on my 7.5 FX and haven't wished I'd had that extra gear, but it's just me. Also, the 7.5 has skinnier tyres (700x28 vs 700x32). Hope this helps.

+1 and the 7.5 has a carbon fork for more vibration dampening.

The $200 extra dollars are well spent.
Old 05-19-14, 03:01 PM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As to your question on frame size. A 17.5" frame should fit someone who is 5'8" perfectly. Not sure why it felt small to you, maybe you aren't used to riding a bike with the seatpost sticking out 5 or 6 inches. I am 5" 9 and a half and my DS and my Marin mountain bikes are 17.5", both feel right. I have a Cannondale Quick that is an 18" frame and it fits me perfectly.
Old 05-19-14, 03:45 PM
jkelley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to throw more bikes into the mix... but after testing out the same bikes that you are trying I bought a Specialized Sirrus Comp and my wife got a Specialized Expedition Sport. They are very similar bikes but we got the this is it feeling after riding those bikes.
Old 05-20-14, 07:32 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for the FX. There isn't a bad choice to be made as between the 7.4 Disk and the 7.5. I'd prefer the disk brakes, triple crank and slightly beefier tires of the 7.4 Disk - but that's me.
Old 05-22-14, 05:47 PM
mrashy2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Again

Hi again,

Got off work early today and went to the Trek store to ride all the bikes again. I eliminated the Shift since that bike is just as similar as the Verve.

Rode the Verve, DS and FX and the sales person said that with the back condition the way it is, the suspension fork and a different saddle is the way to go. The FX was very fast compared to the DS and Verve, but I did feel the road a lot more then the DS or Verve. I felt the Verve was a tad smoother then the DS but the salesperson suggested putting on some other tires that will make the DS feel smoother and 20% faster.

UGH, I am still so confused. I am leaning towards the Verve, but my mind tells me perhaps the DS is a better bike for now and down the road.

Any thoughts? (I REALLY appreciate all the responses and opinions btw.)
Old 05-22-14, 06:40 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just because you have a bad back does NOT mean you NEED a suspension fork and comfort saddle!!! Basically, avoid anything that hurts your back. For me, I avoid certain positions like leaning forward too far with slow, hard pedaling--but strangely, the tucked-down, aero position with my long bar ends is just fine. My hard, narrow seat and thin tires do not impact my back pain at all. If riding the FX gave you back pain then sure, avoid it. But don't just follow advice--get what works for you. Everyone's bad back is different.
Old 05-22-14, 07:28 PM
deerfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, not that there is anything wrong with Trek but with so many other choices out there, why are you limiting yourself to one brand? When I look to buy a bike I try to get a good view of what is available, which is why I ended up with 3 different brands.
Old 05-22-14, 07:44 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't allow yourself to be talked into any particular bike. That goes for both the salesperson and us here at BF, too!

Just ride as many bikes as possible and wait for one of 'em to call your name! That's it!

Now, just have a riding good time, everywhere!

Good Luck!
Old 05-22-14, 07:46 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by deerfly
Just curious, not that there is anything wrong with Trek but with so many other choices out there, why are you limiting yourself to one brand? When I look to buy a bike I try to get a good view of what is available, which is why I ended up with 3 different brands.
That was my thought but if OP really wants Trek, the FXs are nice.
Old 05-22-14, 08:06 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by mrashy2004
Hi again,

Got off work early today and went to the Trek store to ride all the bikes again. I eliminated the Shift since that bike is just as similar as the Verve.

Rode the Verve, DS and FX and the sales person said that with the back condition the way it is, the suspension fork and a different saddle is the way to go. The FX was very fast compared to the DS and Verve, but I did feel the road a lot more then the DS or Verve. I felt the Verve was a tad smoother then the DS but the salesperson suggested putting on some other tires that will make the DS feel smoother and 20% faster.

UGH, I am still so confused. I am leaning towards the Verve, but my mind tells me perhaps the DS is a better bike for now and down the road.

Any thoughts? (I REALLY appreciate all the responses and opinions btw.)
I agree with @themishmosh. I have a bad back myself (2 badly herniated discs), but I've been riding the 7.5 FX for 9 months without little back pain, if any. Bad backs can be caused by many different things, and just because I'm fine with the FX, doesn't mean you will be. OTOH, I do believe that (1) the DS isn't much smoother than the FX despite its front suspension, and (2) the DS is heavier than the FX, and bad backs don't like heavy stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-23-14, 06:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
But, the ability to fit wider than 28mm tires can make a huge difference down the road. Which is why the 7.4 Disc is such a good purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.