Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 12:47 PM
3LionsCT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
That's interesting, I was told no change for 2018 and the prices would remain the same.
The guy at the store showed me the dealer Spesh website. Elite will come with 105's and hydraulic brakes which is a nice upgrade but at a higher price. The Comp will stay at $3400. Colors are not the same as 2017.

Seems crazy to me that Spesh would stop production on the 2017 3 months before you can get a 2018. If the 2018 Domane SL5 disk was available now, I would jump
Old 07-12-17, 08:41 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's interesting, I was told no change for 2018 and the prices would remain the same.
That's weird, I'm pretty sure they'll be a slight bump in price (because of the component selection) depending on what you're getting

In terms of price bracket

2017 vs 2018
Roubaix Elite = Roubaix Sport (slightly cheaper, 9r instead of 10r, no CG-R)
Roubaix Comp = Roubaix Elite (same spec as 2017 Comp, except comes with full 105)
??? = Roubaix Comp (probably no comparable 2017 tier, full Ultegra and Roval wheelset)

Not sure about the Expert model yet.

So if you're planning to get the Comp model, this year will be cheaper then the coming year model. (2018 Comp gets full Ultegra (hydros as well) and Roval wheelset, there's no way it'll be the same price as this year Comp which is a mix of Ultegra and 105)

So far the only color I saw for 2018 Comp model is this gloss deep purple color.

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-12-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 01:24 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Hmm, since you're 185.5cm and a 58 gives you too-upright position, wouldn't a 56 be more upright? since the TT length is shorter?

Even lower? Wow, from the sound of it, you race a lot?
It's not as low as it sounds. The future shock is pretty tall. So is the head tube.

On the 58, the head tube is even taller. Varying the length of the stem keeps the overall reach the same, but the bar height minimum is higher on the 58.
Old 07-13-17, 01:30 AM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
What saddle/bar drop have you got. I am only 180cm but can still get 100mm drop on my 56cm Domane.
It's a whopping 3cm from the top of my power saddle to the tops of the hover bar on my 56.

This is with the stock 7° stem angled downward and all spacers removed.

I could go to a -17° stem and lose the hover bars; that would drop it another 5cm or so.

If you look at the Roubaix frames they gave Boonen and Sagan, the head tubes are much shorter and the top tubes thus flatter. The consumer versions of these models (even the Boonen and Sagan replica S-Works framesets) retain a very upright profile... just not as upright as the SL4 was. Still feels racy for a comfort bike, though.
Old 07-13-17, 08:55 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
It's not as low as it sounds. The future shock is pretty tall. So is the head tube.

On the 58, the head tube is even taller. Varying the length of the stem keeps the overall reach the same, but the bar height minimum is higher on the 58.
Yeah, that's the very reason why my LBS initially recommended 54, but I checked online and I never see any 180cm 2017 Roubaix owner with a 54, the majority is on a 56. Anyways, we'll see how it goes this coming weekend.

Seems crazy to me that Spesh would stop production on the 2017 3 months before you can get a 2018
@3LionsCT.

Yeah, I'm surprised and guess my LBS was right that if the Spesh dealer hit their quota on a particular model, they will have to wait for the next year model to restock, apparently that's how Spesh ensure they don't oversupply their bikes.

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-13-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 12:23 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair, Specialized has been having trouble meeting demand for the Roubaix all year long. They sold their entire year's production of the orange model in the first month, I was told. Lucky for me they made another run of those, along with the green/yellow Expert UDI2. If you wanted a Pro model, you had two windows to grab one, as those had the same problem.

Hopefully they'll make more for 2018, but remember right now that the future shock production is going to meet initial demands for the new Diverge — and the Diverge has out-sold the Roubaix by a huge margin in past years.
Old 07-13-17, 12:48 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, orange out in the first month? No wonder they don't even bother to bring it to Malaysia. LOL

Anyway, I found something interesting, I tried Canyon Bike PPS (their Bike Sizing tool), so I selected Canyon Endurace CF SL (their endurance model) and key in my data, so they recommend me an M size frame.

Which has a 578mm stack and 382mm reach.

I checked the Roubaix and here are the Stack and Reach
Size 54: 570mm stack and 380mm reach
Size 56: 597mm stack and 385mm reach

I guess Canyon Bike Sizing must be accurate since they only sell their bikes via online, and based on the comparison, it looks like my dealer might actually be right as the size 54 Roubaix has the closest value to a M size Endurace.

I'm quite surprised of the Roubaix 56 stack height.

Also by comparing the stack and reach difference between a 54 Roubaix and an M Endurace, is it safe to say that the Roubaix will have a slightly more racier position then Endurace?

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-13-17 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 01:30 PM
Tubernator

Bikes: 2107 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up my 2017 Roubaix Comp-enstein today, will post pics soon. As ALWAYS happens, on the way home from bike shop fresh off fitting, etc, massive downpour everything soaked.

Hopefully I can get some good pics soon.
Old 07-14-17, 03:28 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3LionsCT
I spoke to two Specialized stores and they told me that they couldn't order an orange 2017 COMP in 56cm :-(. I asked them about 2018 Elite and they confirmed they will come with hydraulic brakes and that they would list for $2800 but would not be available until October. Not sure about the mint green color either. Maybe it will grow on me?

Oh and the Comp will list for $3400

My LBS has an orange 2017 Comp 56cm on the floor. Maybe my LBS can ship it to your LBS. PM me for details if you are interested.

-Shin
Old 07-14-17, 04:48 PM
Tubernator

Bikes: 2107 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Thought I would share the new bike. Picked up today right before a massive downpour, and had to get home and dry her off.

I had the bike shop replace the 105/Ultegra mix with Ultegra Di2 full kit (except crank) including the new climbing buttons. I've wanted an electronic group set for a while.

Also swapped stock wheels for Roval 32 CLX. My first set of carbon rims. And some matchy bar tape 😀

Only quick spin around the neighborhood, but so far exceeding expectations. Coming from a 2015 Domane, this bike is much stiffer in feel, geometry fairly similar. Much more planted rear, no bouncing.

Future shock seems to work, although not a big sample yet.

Here are some Pics, will probably post a review in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0237 (3).jpg (14.6 KB, 289 views)
IMG_0241 (3).jpg (10.2 KB, 280 views)
IMG_0231 (3).jpg (15.2 KB, 281 views)
IMG_0234 (3).jpg (14.5 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Tubernator; 07-14-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 06:28 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tubernator
Thought I would share the new bike. Picked up today right before a massive downpour, and had to get home and dry her off.

I had the bike shop replace the 105/Ultegra mix with Ultegra Di2 full kit (except crank) including the new climbing buttons. I've wanted an electronic group set for a while.

Also swapped stock wheels for Roval 32 CLX. My first set of carbon rims. And some matchy bar tape 😀

Only quick spin around the neighborhood, but so far exceeding expectations. Coming from a 2015 Domane, this bike is much stiffer in feel, geometry fairly similar. Much more planted rear, no bouncing.

Future shock seems to work, although not a big sample yet.

Here are some Pics, will probably post a review in a few weeks.
I went for a 17 mile spin this morning, future shock is legit. It works fantastically well.
Old 07-14-17, 07:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
I went for a 17 mile spin this morning, future shock is legit. It works fantastically well.
The ONLY excuse for ONLY riding 17 miles is that you did it in 40 minutes and was so tired you needed a rest. If your excuse is "you didn't have enough time for a longer ride," that doesn't cut it with a new Roubaix cause you should have made time to ride longer.

ENJOY and color me envious.
Old 07-14-17, 10:25 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is orange.
Attached Images
IMG_8580.jpg (93.0 KB, 273 views)
Old 07-15-17, 08:38 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Received my Roubaix Comp, turns out my lbs was right with size 54, it fitted me perfectly, doesn't even need to do a stem swap, only needed to adjust the saddle height and offset. And the fitting session was really nice, took about 1-2 hours.

So I took it around a quick ride just now and the saddle felt harsh, not sure if needs time to break in. Though the most annoying thing has to be that my rear foot seems to be able to rub the chain stay (especially during downhill as the pedals will be level with the chainstay). So any suggestions on that?

I never had this problem with my MTB before.

As for the ride quality, I went to this local trail of mine which has badly surfaced roads and the Roubaix with Roubaix Pro tyres 25/28 (had my dealer swapped it from stock) was awesome, the FutureShock really make sense for terrains like this and the only part I'll have to be more aware is downhill cornering with loose gravel as the bike will slide a little. Oh and need to get used to the bike speed and handling as well, it goes much faster than my Anthem.

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-15-17 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 09:00 PM
3LionsCT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Fist Shin
My LBS has an orange 2017 Comp 56cm on the floor. Maybe my LBS can ship it to your LBS. PM me for details if you are interested.

-Shin
Shin,

Thanks. There is a store about 2 1/2 hours from me that has a 56 in orange. I think I'm going to sit tight until October and hope that the mint green color of the 2018 Elite grows on me. As long as it has hydraulic brakes I'm good to go. If it doesn't I will seriously consider the Domane SL5 disc which I have ridden and was impressed with and is a sharp looking bike
Old 07-16-17, 09:26 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3LionsCT
Shin,

Thanks. There is a store about 2 1/2 hours from me that has a 56 in orange. I think I'm going to sit tight until October and hope that the mint green color of the 2018 Elite grows on me. As long as it has hydraulic brakes I'm good to go. If it doesn't I will seriously consider the Domane SL5 disc which I have ridden and was impressed with and is a sharp looking bike
Right on. Happy to help. That Domane is a sweet ride too.

Currently, I am the only person in my town with an orange Roubaix. And mine was custom ordered right after they were released to the public. My LBS had the Blue/Black Comp in stock and it was beautiful. But when I saw the orange in the catalog, the decision was made. They really wanted me to buy the blue one but I insisted and 3 weeks later I got the bike I wanted.

This was the day I brought it home back in October of last year. Since then, I've flipped the stem, added Look Keo Carbon pedals, changed the tires to Vittoria Corsa G+ and added a power saddle. I need to get some pictures of it soon.

-Shin
Old 07-16-17, 10:00 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, what pedals are those? the one in your pic
Old 07-16-17, 01:36 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Hmm, what pedals are those? the one in your pic
Speedplay Zero. Stomp and go. Changed them out for the Keo Carbons. Here is an updated pic taken today.

-Shin
Old 07-16-17, 02:03 PM
vze23c3q

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody else having issues with the R470 rear wheel with what I believe is the spokes making a popping noise? Noise is intermittent, only occurs while pedaling, and not synched with cadence or related to power. Very loud and annoying when is does start clucking. Spoke tension very low on NDS, but even and wheel dish is spot on. I've tried a little lube where the spokes cross but that didn't seem to help. About 1,500 miles.
Old 07-16-17, 02:59 PM
Masque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Fist Shin
Currently, I am the only person in my town with an orange Roubaix. And mine was custom ordered right after they were released to the public. My LBS had the Blue/Black Comp in stock and it was beautiful. But when I saw the orange in the catalog, the decision was made. They really wanted me to buy the blue one but I insisted and 3 weeks later I got the bike I wanted.

This was the day I brought it home back in October of last year. Since then, I've flipped the stem, added Look Keo Carbon pedals, changed the tires to Vittoria Corsa G+ and added a power saddle. I need to get some pictures of it soon.

-Shin
This is the photo that sold me fully on the color. Thank you for posting yours last October, Shin! I've yet to see another in person, and people seem to really love it.

Every time I bring mine in to the shop from where it was purchased, someone asks if they have another like it. Amusingly, they said they never stocked it because colors other than black don't sell very well.

Shame.
Old 07-16-17, 07:15 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
Anybody else having issues with the R470 rear wheel with what I believe is the spokes making a popping noise? Noise is intermittent, only occurs while pedaling, and not synched with cadence or related to power. Very loud and annoying when is does start clucking. Spoke tension very low on NDS, but even and wheel dish is spot on. I've tried a little lube where the spokes cross but that didn't seem to help. About 1,500 miles.
I have noticed a pop or two but no more than that in 700 miles. The bike is a delight to ride. I couldn't be more pleased.

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 07-16-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 07:16 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
This is the photo that sold me fully on the color. Thank you for posting yours last October, Shin! I've yet to see another in person, and people seem to really love it.

Every time I bring mine in to the shop from where it was purchased, someone asks if they have another like it. Amusingly, they said they never stocked it because colors other than black don't sell very well.

Shame.
That's awesome. Right on. Glad your lovin yours. It is a shame that black seems to be the only color for some people when this orange just pops!

-Shin
Old 07-16-17, 11:02 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did you change from the Speedplay pedals to Look?

Also, when a tyre manufacturer puts 32C is it including the tyre knobs? Cause I'm curious would tyres like these fit the Roubaix or not

Bontrager CX3 Cyclocross Tire
Kenda Kwict Trax
Kenda Slant Six Pro
Panaracer GravelKing SK
Schwalbe G One Speed

G One Speed would definitely fit but I wonder how it'll do at cornering with loose gravel

Last edited by wheelhot; 07-16-17 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 08:56 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Good to know the Specialized Roubiax rides faster than a Giant Anthem.
Old 07-17-17, 09:35 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Good to know the Specialized Roubiax rides faster than a Giant Anthem.
Well it's a much lighter bike. Haha

Anyway, anyone got toe overlap with their Roubaix?

My shoe size is 11.5US/10.5UK Spesh Sport MTB

Is this severe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.