Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 09:46 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
those racing bikes have short wheelbases
Old 07-17-17, 01:57 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
Anybody else having issues with the R470 rear wheel with what I believe is the spokes making a popping noise? Noise is intermittent, only occurs while pedaling, and not synched with cadence or related to power. Very loud and annoying when is does start clucking. Spoke tension very low on NDS, but even and wheel dish is spot on. I've tried a little lube where the spokes cross but that didn't seem to help. About 1,500 miles.
I have about 2,000 miles on my Expert 64cm. I am bigger at 205lbs. I was getting a noise I thought was spokes. LBS tensioned the rear wheel and the noise was still there. Then we saw that the original rear disc was slightly rubbing, and so I went with a larger disc (160cm was approved by Spesh). That was the better RT99 disc which has better cooling. I believe my rear disc got slightly warped, and it did have a brownish tinge to it. I was getting some fade due to heat build up both front and rear. Adding the RT99 discs front and rear and new organic pads really did the trick. I like to descend fast and I have so much stopping power and modulation it is awesome. And most importantly, no clicking noise!

Last edited by sirkaos; 07-17-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 04:55 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I understand that but isn't this too severe? It's just like 10 deg and the chances for me to hit the front wheel especially while climbing
Old 07-17-17, 05:17 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Why did you change from the Speedplay pedals to Look?

I got tired of the Speedplay pedals and they were a pain to clip in. My very first pedals were Look Classics and I liked the positive engagement they provided. So when I had had enough of the Zeros, I went back to Look and chose the updated Keo 2 Carbons. I've been pleased with them ever since. And I got them half off from the interwebs. Screaming deal I couldn't refuse.

-Shin
Old 07-17-17, 06:47 PM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone ride their Roubaix's on gravel? We're going to the lake next weekend and there's about a half mile of gravel to and from the lake house. I want to take the spec but could take the MTB if the gravel would be problematic.
Old 07-18-17, 05:54 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Anyone ride their Roubaix's on gravel? We're going to the lake next weekend and there's about a half mile of gravel to and from the lake house. I want to take the spec but could take the MTB if the gravel would be problematic.
Yeah, they're people who used the Roubaix for gravel races (see page 8 I think), ultimately it depends on what kind of gravel and tire selection
Old 07-18-17, 05:55 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and can you guys tell me your frame size and shoe size and if you have any toe overlap/how severe it is?
Old 07-18-17, 06:25 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
½ mile of gravel will be no problem if you have tires you trust. I've done more gravel than that (and "gravel" is being nice — it was not nice tiny pebbles, but more giant sharp rocks, 1-3cm in size) easily even just using Conti GP4KS2s.

I run a size 44 shoe and a size 56 Roubaix and I have plenty of toe overlap, but I only notice this when I'm trying to turn around at 2mph and I've forgotten to move my foot out of the way. It's just like cornering — if you're going to be moving the bars that far to the side, make sure you move your feet out of the way.

That's a SHARP turn if you're moving at any kind of speed.
Old 07-18-17, 06:38 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque
I run a size 44 shoe and a size 56 Roubaix and I have plenty of toe overlap, but I only notice this when I'm trying to turn around at 2mph and I've forgotten to move my foot out of the way. It's just like cornering — if you're going to be moving the bars that far to the side, make sure you move your feet out of the way.

How big of a turn that it'll hit your toes? Mine is like 10-12 deg and it'll hit
Old 07-18-17, 06:40 AM
OUGrad05

Yeah, they're people who used the Roubaix for gravel races (see page 8 I think), ultimately it depends on what kind of gravel and tire selection
Stock tires, 26mm...gravel is the larger gravel, think dimes, nickels and quarters.
Old 07-18-17, 06:41 AM
OUGrad05

Oh and can you guys tell me your frame size and shoe size and if you have any toe overlap/how severe it is?
61 Roubaix, size 13 shoes, no overlap (at least I'm pretty sure)
Old 07-18-17, 06:59 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque

How big of a turn that it'll hit your toes? Mine is like 10-12 deg and it'll hit
Old 07-18-17, 07:02 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
61 Roubaix, size 13 shoes, no overlap (at least I'm pretty sure)
Wow, how tall are you? And I guess USA 13?

And as for your tyres, if there's similar gravel around your neighbourhood, you can try your stock tyres there. I tried riding my Roubaix Pro 25/28 tyres and it'll drift on sand, other then that, good traction and plenty fast on downhill.
Old 07-18-17, 07:12 AM
OUGrad05

Wow, how tall are you? And I guess USA 13?

And as for your tyres, if there's similar gravel around your neighbourhood, you can try your stock tyres there. I tried riding my Roubaix Pro 25/28 tyres and it'll drift on sand, other then that, good traction and plenty fast on downhill.
6'6 and yes size 13 US.
Old 07-18-17, 09:04 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Looks like you're right, it appears that the Roubaix has very similar dimensions to an Allez and Tarmac

I read somewhere mentioning that if toe overlap is a huge concern, the rider should look at European makers as they tend to care about stuff like this. And interestingly enough I looked at BMC TeamMachine 02 (slightly more racier than their 03 Alu counterpart which even has a longer wheelbase and FC)

upload from web
Old 07-18-17, 05:09 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a size 56 Roubaix with a 993mm wheelbase at 12° steering angle, you're at a turning radius of 15.6 feet. (4.775 meters, if you're in to that sort of thing.)

That's a TIGHT turn to be making while at any kind of speed.

I've only touched my toes to the tire when starting off with the bars canted hard left. And I remember not to do that now, and it's all good.

In short, I would be surprised if it's a danger to your riding.
Old 07-19-17, 12:08 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So just to clarify, a higher stack same reach = more upright position?
Old 07-19-17, 07:19 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at a Roubaix SL4 on closeout, Tiagra drivetrain and rim breaks, for a first road bike. Seems like a bike/frame that would be worth upgrading components in the future as mileage increases. 600 USD more for the Sport/105.

Thoughts?
Old 07-19-17, 07:21 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
Looking at a Roubaix SL4 on closeout, Tiagra drivetrain and rim breaks, for a first road bike. Seems like a bike/frame that would be worth upgrading components in the future as mileage increases. 600 USD more for the Sport/105.

Thoughts?
Hmm, probably worth to take the plunge and go 105 straight away, is it a complete 105 or partial?
Old 07-19-17, 07:55 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
This past February I snagged up a 2015 Pro Race disc at 1/3 off. 10r frame, 6800 with Roval 40mm wheels, Swiss hubs. It's backup to my R3 and is my rain bike. Super comfy ride although not the lightest. I run GP400 4 season 25's. I am consistently 1-1.5 mph slower on a 40k than with the R3. Still an awesome bike! I am upgrading to 6870 or maybe 8070 this winter.
Old 07-19-17, 09:33 AM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my review of my 2017 Roubaix Comp. I am 53, 6'1" and weight 240. (too much weight lifting and beer) I used to race mountain bikes, but life got in the way during the past 15 years. Time for a change. Anyway, I had a 2002 Trek 5200 and felt every bump. It is a fast bike but it hurt after 20 miles. Plus my lower back and shoulders have seen better days (mountain bike wrecks).

First, I LOVE the bike. The blue color is great. I got the bike with a full Spec body fit.

The Good
** LBS cut a nice deal with a heavy discounted fit session. Initial session was 4 hours.
** The future shock is the real deal. It only is noticeable during out of the saddle climbing, but otherwise you quickly forget about it (until you get on a normal bike.)
** the lower seat clamp and cobbler gobbler seat post work fine. No noticeable movement.
** The 28mm tires are nice, but I am heavy. I have to keep them at >95 psi or I pinchflat
** The gearing is a huge upgrade for me. I went from 8 speed to 11 speed cogs. Normal to compact crankset.
** The high frequency bumps completely go away.
** Shoulders appreciate the softening of big hits.
** The 105 shifters are not bad unless you have med-small hands. The are bulky. Work flawlessly.
** I like the hoverbar handle bars. The drops are shorter than my previous bike and I can spend hours in them.
** The Future Shock, stem & Hover Bar design allows for significant front end adjustment
** VERY IMPORTANT The bike feels almost as quick steering as my old Trek. I did not like the pre-17 Roubaix due to lazy steering.

If the Trek 5200 is a race car and a normal endurance bike is a Cadillac, the 17 Spec Roubaix is a BMW M3. A nice balance.

The bad
** I believe the Spec Roubaix is victim of its own success as they try to meet huge demand
** quality construction - loose spokes from factory. The LBS has to all but rebuild the wheels
** New technology - LBS did not adjust my headset correctly causing a rattling of spacers. Easy fix once the mech learned the bike
** Stock saddle - terrible, I used my old saddle and pedals - no issue.
** Complete bike weighs about 650 grams more than the Trek.

Remaining concern: I am 80% sure this is the correct size. My pant inseam is 34 and measures 35-1/4 inch, but I have a weak lower back from a bike crash. The fitter has pushed my seat all the way forward and swapped in a short stem. Should I be on a bike with a shorter top tube? Should I have purchased a 56? Obviously the LBS wants this one to work since the bike is now "used". My fitter has a very good reputation in the area and I am a challenge.

So, now I am working to loose some weight. If I meet my goal I will swap out the house brand crank set for an Ultegra 6800...just because.

THANKS to all who wrote on this post previously and the Spec rep who let me have a test bike for an evening.
Old 07-19-17, 10:11 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review and you mentioned everything except the frame size you got, my guess is he gave you a 58? Also, shoe size and toe overlap, yes or no, and if yes, is it a minor overlap?
Old 07-19-17, 12:24 PM
dynawolf

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, Trek Superfly

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review and you mentioned everything except the frame size you got, my guess is he gave you a 58? Also, shoe size and toe overlap, yes or no, and if yes, is it a minor overlap?
Size 58. Shoe size 11 US. Not sure what you mean by toe overlap. The plumb line is about 2 cm behind the pedal axle. The cleats were not touched and have been the same for over 10 years. I ride SPDs and cleat in middle of recommended area.
Old 07-19-17, 02:04 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dynawolf

Remaining concern: I am 80% sure this is the correct size. My pant inseam is 34 and measures 35-1/4 inch, but I have a weak lower back from a bike crash. The fitter has pushed my seat all the way forward and swapped in a short stem. Should I be on a bike with a shorter top tube? Should I have purchased a 56? Obviously the LBS wants this one to work since the bike is now "used". My fitter has a very good reputation in the area and I am a challenge.

So, now I am working to loose some weight. If I meet my goal I will swap out the house brand crank set for an Ultegra 6800...just because.

THANKS to all who wrote on this post previously and the Spec rep who let me have a test bike for an evening.
I'm your height and inseam and ride a 56 with a 100mm stem. Seat is about middle to a little aft. I am happy with the fit. But, this is my first road bike and I am coming from a hybrid and I have only been riding for a year so I am no expert.
Old 07-19-17, 02:19 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'm 6 ft with a 34" inseam on a 58 with a 100mm stem and short-reach bars. I prefer the fit over the 56s I had..plus the toe overlap was annoying, as infrequently as it occurred. I cool fit either size but I like taller head tubes anyway. Speaking of pedals, I used Speedplay Zeros for a year, tried Shimano Dura Ace, and am now happily on Speedplay Ultra Light Actions on all three bikes. I need the float and I love the dual-sided entry. They are also the easiest to clip in and clip out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.