Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 08:30 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
And finally, I was able to find a rear rack from my stash. It was a little beat up and scratched so I primed it and rattle canned it black. I think it turned out great and it fits my trunk bag perfectly.

I am so happy. I love this little guy! More upgrades soon!

-Shin
Old 06-28-17, 02:37 AM
Cowick22

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by High Fist Shin
You have a really nice Nano. I like the sky blue and orange combination with the black. Well done.

I really like all the upgrades I'm seeing. You can see the affection you have for them in each and every one.

-Shin
Thanks I do love this bike for getting around the city. It's a blast to ride.
I hope you enjoy your just as much
Old 06-28-17, 02:52 AM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will try that the next time I need to remove them. I'm going to run with them for a while and see how they perform. The interesting question will be, what tires will grace those wheels next? Primo Comets? Schwalbe Kojacks? I still haven't decided.

-Shin
Might I suggest the Shwalbe Marathons. I have found them to be comfortable durable and fairly fast rolling. I fill them to about 85psi. Plus the greenguard should help with flats.
This is a really nice price although I have never purchased from this site before:
https://www.starbike.com/en/schwalbe-marathon/?currency=USD&vat=hide&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOoptgnqxGd-w1aBOEymJwp0Sbo3wgp55Z2TFz2iWuI8aAgi_8P8HAQ#

This is where I purchased mine from. At the time even with shipping it was the cheapest I could find:
https://www.athleteshop.com/schwalbe-tyre-20x1-50-40-406-reflection-marathon-greenguard-black?as=athlete&kwd_id=22219-AGI-31268443493-ASI-174489466629-AS2KQP1DW7&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp83KBRC2kev0tZzExLkBEiQAYxYXOr0tA1ItJeZ28i93GN7Kmd95AfZFgEsyejik_fe7ynQaAjG 28P8HAQ
My next tires I will either stay with the Shwalbe or might try the Tioga Powerblocks.
Old 06-28-17, 06:17 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've found little wheels are harder to install tires on, both on my swift and my brompton. For me, the schwalbes I have on my brompton were especially difficult. However, I learned, probably on this forum, to put the tire where the valve stem is on last, since that allows the tire to go in further between the rims on the other side. This has made a lot of difference to me. I was wondering, though, how much do the stock nanos weigh without racks, just as they come to you. thanks, Ron
Old 06-28-17, 08:53 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I've found little wheels are harder to install tires on, both on my swift and my brompton. For me, the schwalbes I have on my brompton were especially difficult. However, I learned, probably on this forum, to put the tire where the valve stem is on last, since that allows the tire to go in further between the rims on the other side. This has made a lot of difference to me. I was wondering, though, how much do the stock nanos weigh without racks, just as they come to you. thanks, Ron

I think the stock weight was in the 26 lb range if I remember correctly.

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 06-28-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 03:31 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowick22
Might I suggest the Shwalbe Marathons. I have found them to be comfortable durable and fairly fast rolling. I fill them to about 85psi. Plus the greenguard should help with flats.
This is a really nice price although I have never purchased from this site before:
Schwalbe Marathon

This is where I purchased mine from. At the time even with shipping it was the cheapest I could find:
https://www.athleteshop.com/schwalbe...ynQaAjG28P8HAQ
My next tires I will either stay with the Shwalbe or might try the Tioga Powerblocks.
The Marathons sound good. Can you tell me the maximum pressure of that tire? Are they 20x1.5 or something else? I've seen some Schwalbe's that were 20x1.1. Duranos I believe. I was wondering about them too.

-Shin
Old 06-28-17, 03:33 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Tight wire bead tires are no longer a problem since I got this.

I highly recommend it. Koolstop Tire Jack.

-Shin
Old 06-28-17, 05:00 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Marathons sound good. Can you tell me the maximum pressure of that tire? Are they 20x1.5 or something else? I've seen some Schwalbe's that were 20x1.1. Duranos I believe. I was wondering about them too.

-Shin
Yes they are 20x1.5 and the max psi is 100. I am on the heavier side and at 85psi they feel hard, not squishy at all. I have at least a couple hundred miles on them by now and haven't had any flats (knock on wood :-)) they seem to roll real nice.
Old 06-28-17, 05:08 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ran across this bike I'd like to get for the wife but

Was wondering if anyone has ever heard of aibike or Cheng Hi Bike Company. I think she would really like a 20 inch wheeled bike like this. Getting her 700c bike I built for her up and down the stairs to our condo is a obstacle for her as it is large, heavy and cumbersome.

LADY SMILE - 20 inch 21 spd black low step mini velo on CHENG YI BIKE CO., LTD.||Lady's low step | iDealEZ, Taiwan B2B online trade portal, powered by Taiwantrade

This minivelo comes in at about 28lbs but I think I could get that down to about 25 to 26lbs with some thoughtful upgrades :-D lol. I think she would love it, smaller more nimble for sharp corners, little bit lighter for carrying etc.
She is very particular in that she will only ride a non-diamond frame bike as she feels they are too masculine for her. She like Dutch style bikes but they are even heavier than her Schwinn. She also wants her feet to touch the ground when stopped, the low bottom bracket on a mini velo will accommodate this. I think this would be a good ride for her and a fun project for me. I have thought about trying to find an Electra townie for her in 20 inch girls size and building that up but I think this might be a better option.

Her current bike which weighs in at about 30 to 31 lbs:
https://flic.kr/p/UXmG8U

Last edited by Cowick22; 06-28-17 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Auto correct misscorrected words
Old 07-01-17, 06:50 PM
12boy

Well, took the plunge and ordered one. That will give me a brompton, a xootr swift and this nano.I will let you know what I think and how it compares to the other two. I am particularly interested in the ride difference with the swift which is essentially an aluminum mini velo as I never fold it.
Old 07-01-17, 07:29 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The frame is double-butted cromo. Bike is cheap because of substandard parts. Upgrade them and you'll have a nice rolling bike. A new STI brake/shifter set will set you back as much as the bike.

And new brakes, derailleurs, tires... it all adds up. In upgraded condition, the Nano Mercier's real value would be $700-$800 tops.
Old 07-02-17, 08:15 AM
12boy

I wouldn't say the hubs, cranks and headset on my swift are high grade either... but once taken apart and repacked and and adjusted they work very well. In some ways, loose bearing hubs and headsets, properly set up and maintained are smoother and easier rolling than cartridge bearings, but they do require a lot of attention. When they are no longer they can be replaced with better components but a crap frame will always be a crap frame. If the stack height on the headset is 40 mm, Velo Orange makes a cartridge Rinko headset that allows for removing the fork with no tools. Pull the wheels, take off the fork/handlebars and stem and it should pack up nicely for car trips.
Old 07-02-17, 02:35 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
The only thing I have done to my Nano so far is add the Velox Rim strips and change the 12-25 cassette to a 11-28. Well, I added a rack but that doesn't really count as a performance upgrade.

The things that needed immediate attention were the following:

1. The rear derailleur hanger was bent. Fortunately, I have an alignment tool and was able to fix this issue in about ten minutes. The shifting improved immensely.
2. The brake pads were not properly aligned and were hitting the tires. Easily fixed in ten minutes.
3. Finally, the stem and seatpost needed lubrication. I was happy to discover that the headset, front and rear hubs and the bottom bracket threads were all greased.

That's it. The bike can be ridden as is from the factory (with the Velox tape) and its a lot of fun. The upgrades I have planned for the future are because I want something to tinker on and I'd like to see how much performance I can get out if it on a budget.

Ultimately, I'd like to have the following upgrades:

Sora STI shifter
Tektro R559 brakes and koolstop pads
56 tooth big ring
44 tooth small ring
A nicer chain
Nitto Technomic Stem
A shallow bend handlebar
Specialized Toupe Sport saddle
Tires. Likely will be a set of Schwalbe Marathons.

I'll also probably change out all the cables and housings. I envision these upgrades taking place over the next 6 months or so as time and the paycheck permit. I realize it will be an additional 300 to 400 dollars but its my hobby and I have the blessing of my spouse so, why not?

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 07-02-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 04:08 PM
12boy

I'll just throw on a pair of bullhorns, some spds, a brooks saddle I have gathering dust and some rim tape. I've been making a large saddlebag for my swift but I may just stick it on the nano. I'll grease the cables, hubs and headset and call it good until something fails. If the bike lives up to expectations I might get better wheels. Oh, and I have a Campy crank that might work on there, too. Tinkering is almost as much fun as riding!
Old 07-02-17, 04:40 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'll just throw on a pair of bullhorns, some spds, a brooks saddle I have gathering dust and some rim tape. I've been making a large saddlebag for my swift but I may just stick it on the nano. I'll grease the cables, hubs and headset and call it good until something fails. If the bike lives up to expectations I might get better wheels. Oh, and I have a Campy crank that might work on there, too. Tinkering is almost as much fun as riding!
I couldn't agree more!

-Shin
Old 07-08-17, 06:12 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Thank you! I certainly will. Please post a picture of your bike.

-Shin
Fist Shin,

Most of my upgrades are documented in previous posts. Main ones are larger chainring, handlebars, Kenda Kwest 100psi tire, Schrader valve hole drilled out in rims, fenders and basket. What mine has become is like a Raleigh "Shopper" of the 70's. A nimble comfortable bike I have no problem riding to a store 5 miles away, or for pleasure for an hour or two. Just not fast, riding with groups that averaged 16mph just wore me out.

With the 100psi tires I carry metal tire spoons, but doubt I would even attempt to fix a flat or just call my wife or kids to pick me up.

Mirfi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HiRise (5).JPG (84.2 KB, 683 views)
Old 08-09-17, 11:03 AM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
What would it take to make the Mercer a good century bike?

I reckon I need to average 12mph, with 17 mph top speed.

What upgrade would I have to make?

I already have a spare broken-in Brooks B17 saddle.
I think the bike is capable of doing a century out of the box (with proper rim strips installed). Century rides are all about comfort. The B17 is a good start. Perhaps higher pressure tires so you will roll a little faster and upgrade the brakes. Levers and calipers. My Nano brakes well, but there is room for improvement.

-Shin
Old 08-13-17, 07:10 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Upgrades to do a century. One wants to take advantage of any free speed(downhill) and lessen working hard(uphill) and the ability to glide. For the first two, bigger chain ring and wider range cassette (11-34), to glide, get 100psi tires.

BTW, I'm do SAG on many a ride(also a Ham). Try a 'supported' ride first. The biggest issue is the need to stay hydrated. And the rest is up to you, just carry your own spares and metal spoons. The SAG vehicle ain't got 406 spares.
Old 08-17-17, 10:35 AM
mirfi

I added a lower rack
Attached Images
Rack021.jpg (94.8 KB, 610 views)
Old 08-17-17, 11:02 AM
mirfi

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Is it unwise to clamp on a frame tube like that?
I kinda meant to ask that question myself. I am going to fashion support braces.
Old 08-18-17, 08:42 AM
mirfi

Originally Posted by rcnute
Can anyone think of a front rack that would work on a Nano? What about the Dahon Traveler? I'd like to ziptie a basket to it. Thanks!

Ryan

Ever get an answer?
Old 08-21-17, 06:50 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think if the seatpost covers the clamp area you would be fine. I doubt that this frame would have butted tubing so it might be fairly thick AL all the way down the seattube. Most of those types of racks are rated for 10kg which isn't much so supports to the axles would make good sense anyway. It would be nice to see your entire bike with the new rack. I dig the retro high bars.
Old 08-21-17, 02:16 PM
mirfi

Originally Posted by ttakata73
I think if the seatpost covers the clamp area you would be fine. I doubt that this frame would have butted tubing so it might be fairly thick AL all the way down the seattube. Most of those types of racks are rated for 10kg which isn't much so supports to the axles would make good sense anyway. It would be nice to see your entire bike with the new rack. I dig the retro high bars.
Inside photo, raining out.
Attached Images
MVelo111.jpg (94.6 KB, 755 views)
Old 08-25-17, 12:49 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We've been having fun with Downtube folders for travel, but I've never folded them since they got out of the box, and the front stems do flex.

Have a bunch of older parts, like 1" quills, bars, rear derailleurs, and clicker shifers in my box. Maybe I get a Mercier and put on higher bars with shifters? The smaller size means I can stuff it in the garage with the other six bikes.
Old 08-28-17, 06:06 AM
12boy

Nanos are not for everyone, as the ride is very twitchy until you get used to it. I am 5'8" and ordered the larger frame size so as to extend the wheelbase and I am glad I did. I enjoy mine a lot and find popping off the wheels makes it easy to get into the back of a small car, obviously not as easy as a Brompton, but not too bad at all. BTW, one of the the things I love about the Brompton is the luggage block on the headset which sets the weight low and on the frame. I think I will try to figure a way to do the same on the Nano which may, as it does on the Brompton, actually smooth out the handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.