Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Part of my new Sidi Trace MTB shoes hit crank arms

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-22, 11:09 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

Hi all - I hope this an appropriate question for this board.

I got my first pair of Sidi shoes a few weeks ago, but didn't start wearing them until this past weekend after I got my new Time Speciale 8 ATAC pedals installed. Before, I had been using SPD with whatever shoes were least expensive in the shops around me.

Anyway, if you are familiar with the Sidi Trace, there is a sizing strap which can be adjusted to the foot size which aligns the strap you tighten down in the center of the foot. See the attached picture - that bit sticking out can strike the crank arm if I'm not careful. My first thought was to see if I could secure it with black tape, but it didn't hold. Duct tape might, but something tells me that's not the way to go about this.

I can cut it but at the moment, I am not sure there is enough material sticking out for me to get "purchase" on. I am thinking I can advance this one more "click" and not affect fitment and at the same time have more material to grab, which might help with a good, clean cut. Another option, if I am able, is to push the strap back in, but that is not possible unless there is a trick to it.

I wonder if any one has any ideas on how to proceed? Would appreciate any thoughts.
Attached Images
Old 02-28-22, 11:22 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
pushing it a click or two out to snip off the hanging excess, then retracting it back flush with the clip seems to be the cleanest method.
Old 02-28-22, 11:38 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my Sidi Drako MTB shoes. Left a substantial scuff mark on one of my crank arms.

I solved the problem by cutting the straps. I didn't love the idea of cutting something on my brand new shoes, but the straps are replaceable and fairly cheap.
Old 02-28-22, 11:45 AM
TheCharm 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I had the exact same problem on my Sidi Drako MTB shoes. Left a substantial scuff mark on one of my crank arms.

I solved the problem by cutting the straps. I didn't love the idea of cutting something on my brand new shoes, but the straps are replaceable and fairly cheap.
Yes, that is my concern, but I forgot about the robust replacement parts available for Sidi shoes. Going to give it a shot - thank you!
Old 02-28-22, 11:47 AM
TheCharm 

Originally Posted by Troul
pushing it a click or two out to snip off the hanging excess, then retracting it back flush with the clip seems to be the cleanest method.
I wasn't 100% they were meant to be retractable. On my first shakedown ride, I noticed it hit the crank arm if I wasn't careful and I stopped to inspect to see if I could retract until I got home where I could give this more thought. I couldn't get them to retract, but I didn't fight too hard, as I wasn't sure if they were *meant* to retract, and didn't want damage anything.

Is there a documented way to get them to retract? I couldn't find anything. Is there a trick to it?
Old 02-28-22, 11:55 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCharm

Is there a documented way to get them to retract? I couldn't find anything. Is there a trick to it?
You have to kind of pull them up away from the shoe to release the "teeth" and they will slide out.

I just pulled mine all the way out to trim, then re-inserted them.

​​​​​​

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-28-22, 11:59 AM
TheCharm 

Originally Posted by msu2001la
You have to kind of pull them up away from the shoe to release the "teeth" and they will slide out.

I just pulled mine all the way out to trim, then re-inserted them.
Quite helpful - thanks!!
Likes For TheCharm:
Old 02-28-22, 01:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
sliding them backwards out does do the job, but I prefer to push it past the fixer to trim it & retract it back, leaving it flush or slightly recessed in the fixer. The dealings with the chaffing from being cut is my personal rationale for my method. YMMV.
Old 03-08-22, 06:50 PM
Nicke71

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Super helpful thread. Been have the same issue, now I have a fix.
Old 03-11-22, 10:02 PM
krakhaus 

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I have the same issue, but only when using my Time ATAC 8's. If i go back to the Alum's I don't have that problem. And despite the extra grams, I think the Alum's are an all around better pedal than the XC-6 or XC-8.