Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TRP HY/RD Shifter Compatbility

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 08:07 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts

Hello all, I have a quick question that may be pretty obvious to the more experienced.

(and yes, I did a search for the answer to this, but wanted to confirm before I consider dropping $).

I am thinking of moving to cable actuated disc brake calipers because I don't like dealing with hydraulic fluid myself. I have my eyes on the TRP HY/RD calipers, but wanted to confirm: will these calipers work with rim brake shifters that use cable actuation for braking?

The specs on the brakes say "works with any cable actuated braking system", but none explicitly say works with rim brake shifters. Intuitively i think the answer is yes, but I want to confirm this before I make a several hundred dollar/pound/euro mistake.

Thank you!
Old 10-09-23, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I can't answer your question with any assurance. But I can tell you that I've owned a bike with hydraulic brakes for 3˝ years now and have not once had to deal with hydraulic fluid or any other issues with the brake system. Other than pulling the pads every great once in a while to check for wear they are totally maintenance free so far.

I many times think quite a few problems are created by those that are too fiddly with things and can't leave well enough alone when something is working. Some folks seem to have a "need to bleed" when nothing is wrong. <grin>

And Shimano brakes use mineral oil. So nothing bad or strange to worry about. Mineral oil can be taken internally. Though that's the stuff you get at the Pharmacy. Which probably you could use in a Shimano hydraulic brake system.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-09-23, 09:10 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by Iride01
I can't answer your question with any assurance. But I can tell you that I've owned a bike with hydraulic brakes for 3˝ years now and have not once had to deal with hydraulic fluid or any other issues with the brake system. Other than pulling the pads every great once in a while to check for wear they are totally maintenance free so far.

I many times think quite a few problems are created by those that are too fiddly with things and can't leave well enough alone when something is working. Some folks seem to have a "need to bleed" when nothing is wrong. <grin>

And Shimano brakes use mineral oil. So nothing bad or strange to worry about. Mineral oil can be taken internally. Though that's the stuff you get at the Pharmacy. Which probably you could use in a Shimano hydraulic brake system.
Thanks. It might be a bit of recency bias, but I have been struggling mightily with a sram groupset recently, and one of the shifters was leaking dot fluid onto my hands during rides for a while...which is no bueno (dot fluid is toxic, to the unaware). I'm also a bit put off by the lack of general resources for roadies in my community, as every repair job take such a long time because local mechanics are 90% MTB focused, and don't like working on road bikes. So it's increasingly looking like I might need to become my own mechanic. That means that simplicity and robustness becomes a bit more valued...but I do take your point about if it works, don't mess with it. Problem is that, recently, among other factors, it hasn't really worked...
Old 10-09-23, 09:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
If you go to the TRP site it seems to say they are compatible with existing cable brake levers. You can contact them with questions.
HY/RD – TRP (trpcycling.com)
Likes For big john:
Old 10-09-23, 10:40 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
Hello all, I have a quick question that may be pretty obvious to the more experienced.

(and yes, I did a search for the answer to this, but wanted to confirm before I consider dropping $).

I am thinking of moving to cable actuated disc brake calipers because I don't like dealing with hydraulic fluid myself. I have my eyes on the TRP HY/RD calipers, but wanted to confirm: will these calipers work with rim brake shifters that use cable actuation for braking?

The specs on the brakes say "works with any cable actuated braking system", but none explicitly say works with rim brake shifters. Intuitively i think the answer is yes, but I want to confirm this before I make a several hundred dollar/pound/euro mistake.

Thank you!
TRP HY/RD are decent and are self adjusting, but they're a bit heavy. I'm a big fan of Juin Tech F1 calipers. The pads aren't self-adjusting, but it comes with a unique screw knob that makes pad space adjustment easy while on the road (no tools necessary). If you plan the conversion, I'd get compressionless brake housing which should allow for smoother brake pull.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-09-23, 11:13 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Recently bought a road bike for my younger daughter, got 105 11 speed rim brake shifters and TRP HY/RD and it works like a charm. Better than mechanical discs.

Whole bike cost like 750 Euro in the local Decathlon store, too, insane value.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-09-23, 01:05 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
TRP HY/RD are decent and are self adjusting, but they're a bit heavy. I'm a big fan of Juin Tech F1 calipers. The pads aren't self-adjusting, but it comes with a unique screw knob that makes pad space adjustment easy while on the road (no tools necessary). If you plan the conversion, I'd get compressionless brake housing which should allow for smoother brake pull.
Good point. Weight isn't a big deal to me (my lightweight climbing frame notwithstanding), so I'm much more about performance, particularly modulation. In your opinion, if you've had a chance to use both, weight aside, which one performs better?

The compressionless brake housing is a good suggestion. I'll need to find one that I can finagle through my frame for internal routing purposes, but I've heard a few recommendations out there on the interwebs.
Old 10-09-23, 01:06 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by Branko D
Recently bought a road bike for my younger daughter, got 105 11 speed rim brake shifters and TRP HY/RD and it works like a charm. Better than mechanical discs.

Whole bike cost like 750 Euro in the local Decathlon store, too, insane value.
It's actually the Decathlon bikes that introduced me to the idea of going to the TRP HY/RD in the first place, since reviews of most other mechanical disc brake systems have been mediocre to poor.
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 10-09-23, 01:31 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I've rode some 29.000km on TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes now, and some 12.000km on Avid BB7, TRP HY/RD is significantly better.
​​​​​​
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-09-23, 01:38 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
Good point. Weight isn't a big deal to me (my lightweight climbing frame notwithstanding), so I'm much more about performance, particularly modulation. In your opinion, if you've had a chance to use both, weight aside, which one performs better?

The compressionless brake housing is a good suggestion. I'll need to find one that I can finagle through my frame for internal routing purposes, but I've heard a few recommendations out there on the interwebs.
They both brake well. The TRP's have more support and documentation, but the Juin Tech calipers are easy to install and adjust on the fly. Make note the stock pads for either calipers can be upgraded for better braking performance. Also you can look into getting high performance brake cabling (in conjunction with compressionless) that allows for a more responsive brake pull.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-09-23, 04:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
That is the problem if you go with SRAM stuff you get less than optimal brakes. SRAM has only had good brakes more recently and they aren't great but are serviceable however if they are leaking fluid probably need to figure out the issue or have your local shop you bought the bike from help you fix it or a local SRAM dealer if you got it elsewhere.

Barring that yes the HY/RDs will work just fine with short pull levers but I would then just switch to Shimano and solve all the problems you can have hydro discs and fewer issues and better braking. Sell the SRAM stuff and you will be happy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-23, 10:24 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
People way over do this toxic thing. Unless you bath in DOT for hours or drink it you are going to be fine, mild irritation if you let it set.
Likes For Canker:
Old 10-09-23, 10:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Yes they will work.

The HY/RD does require more brake lever travel before engagement, compared to most other brakes. That can be disconcerting, until you get accustomed. The travel is a consequence of the design that allows self-adjusting pads. A lot of people hack the design a bit by attaching the cable closer to the pivot, essentially decreasing the amount of cable pull required to move the piston. TRP even has info on how to do that, IIRC.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-10-23, 04:02 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I had a commuter that used Shimano 105 rim brake shifters with the TRP's and they worked fine.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-10-23, 08:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Yes they will work.

The HY/RD does require more brake lever travel before engagement, compared to most other brakes. That can be disconcerting, until you get accustomed. The travel is a consequence of the design that allows self-adjusting pads. A lot of people hack the design a bit by attaching the cable closer to the pivot, essentially decreasing the amount of cable pull required to move the piston. TRP even has info on how to do that, IIRC.
I did that cable TRP’s and it helped. Switched over to the hybrids and found it unnecessary for them.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.