Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 09:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Getting back to the topic of chocolate. What is your daily dose ?....For me it's 12 squares per day which is half of Cadbury Milk Chocolate Bar which I eat as a late afternoon snack at work... If I am having a really hard intense day at work I will eat 24 squares which is an entire chocolate bar.
How big is a bar of Cadbury in the US? I'm guessing they are much larger than UK ones, although they come in various sizes. But what is the actual cocoa content of that junk? Maybe 10-15%? I know it is different to UK. I thought that "healthy" chocolate had to be at least 75% cocoa to offset the downside of added sugar.

Anyway my daily dose of dark chocolate is around half a small bar, maybe 40g.
Old 11-21-23, 10:38 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I admit to loving chocolate more than I probably should. Nobody will ever convince me that it could be considered a "health food" though. I especially like the high % cocoa chocolate. One look at the nutritional information on the back of the package tells me otherwise. I have two packages of chocolate in front of me, Lindt 85% cocoa extra dark chocolate and Falize 74% dark chocolate. It is the high saturated fat content that keeps me from thinking it could ever be a wonder food for long life. These are 100g bars (3.5 oz). A serving size is 4 squares weighing 40 grams. That's not much and I could easily eat more than a single serving at a time. Nutritional information is on back of packages: Both show the same profile for both bars.

Total fat 18g which is more than 1/4 of the fat a normal adult should eat in an entire day Saturated fat 11 grams which is more than half the saturated fat one should eat in an entire day. 250 calories and of that 160 calories are from fat. The rest of the calories are from the sugar used to sweeten the chocolate.

Unfortunately it is hard for the Food and Drug Administration to challenge claims like the one above unless they can prove that a food or nutritional supplement causes illness or death. A former senator from Utah managed to get a bill passed that prohibits the FDA from challenging dubious claims for nutritional supplements. I would rather get my nutrition from real foods than from some overpriced supplement with dubious claims. In the meantime I will continue to eat dark chocolate on occasion in small quantity and not worry about heavy metals that may be in it. If you want to have something to really avoid it is the chocolate coated or chocolate flavored products in which the cocoa butter fat is replaced by palm or palm kernel oil. That's the most saturated fat on the planet. If it does not melt in your hand it probably coats the insides of your arteries as well.
Old 11-21-23, 12:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How big is a bar of Cadbury in the US?
The ones I buy are 100 grams per bar and consist of 24 squares.
Old 11-21-23, 07:44 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The ones I buy are 100 grams per bar and consist of 24 squares.
I do have a problem with good chocolates - if it wasn’t for the help of my wife (without my asking), I would slowly finish the entire box in a day!
Old 11-22-23, 03:30 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I admit to loving chocolate more than I probably should. Nobody will ever convince me that it could be considered a "health food" though. I especially like the high % cocoa chocolate. One look at the nutritional information on the back of the package tells me otherwise. I have two packages of chocolate in front of me, Lindt 85% cocoa extra dark chocolate and Falize 74% dark chocolate. It is the high saturated fat content that keeps me from thinking it could ever be a wonder food for long life. These are 100g bars (3.5 oz). A serving size is 4 squares weighing 40 grams. That's not much and I could easily eat more than a single serving at a time. Nutritional information is on back of packages: Both show the same profile for both bars.

Total fat 18g which is more than 1/4 of the fat a normal adult should eat in an entire day Saturated fat 11 grams which is more than half the saturated fat one should eat in an entire day. 250 calories and of that 160 calories are from fat. The rest of the calories are from the sugar used to sweeten the chocolate.

Unfortunately it is hard for the Food and Drug Administration to challenge claims like the one above unless they can prove that a food or nutritional supplement causes illness or death. A former senator from Utah managed to get a bill passed that prohibits the FDA from challenging dubious claims for nutritional supplements. I would rather get my nutrition from real foods than from some overpriced supplement with dubious claims. In the meantime I will continue to eat dark chocolate on occasion in small quantity and not worry about heavy metals that may be in it. If you want to have something to really avoid it is the chocolate coated or chocolate flavored products in which the cocoa butter fat is replaced by palm or palm kernel oil. That's the most saturated fat on the planet. If it does not melt in your hand it probably coats the insides of your arteries as well.
Saturated fat doesn't automatically = unhealthy. It appears to be more nuanced than that. But I agree that you have to be very careful on portion sizes. One of my favourite bars suggests a 15g portion, but I often eat 30g. I find it much easier to moderate portion sizes of dark chocolate vs milk. So I tend to avoid the latter and the sugar content is much higher anyway. The "healthy" choc I prefer is 80% cacao rather than cocoa, which I believe is less processed. I don't eat it as a health food, but cacao appears to have some health benefits in moderation.
Old 11-22-23, 09:26 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
The "healthy" choc I prefer is 80% cacao rather than cocoa, which I believe is less processed. [
Interesting. I was not aware of the distinction. Have you got a link or a source?
Old 11-22-23, 11:11 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Interesting. I was not aware of the distinction. Have you got a link or a source?
I didn’t have a specific source in mind, but a quick Google comes up with a few links

eg

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cacao-vs-cocoa

https://www.webmd.com/diet/differenc...ghtly%20bitter.

It’s a bit confusing, but I think the basic distinction is that cacao is less processed at lower temperatures. My wife sometimes buys cacao powder or nibs and it is a lot more intense and bitter than cocoa powder from the same brand.

The cacao chocolate I mentioned was actually 70% cacao, not 80% like I stated earlier.
Old 11-22-23, 12:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I didn’t have a specific source in mind, but a quick Google comes up with a few links

eg

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cacao-vs-cocoa

https://www.webmd.com/diet/differenc...ghtly%20bitter.

It’s a bit confusing, but I think the basic distinction is that cacao is less processed at lower temperatures. My wife sometimes buys cacao powder or nibs and it is a lot more intense and bitter than cocoa powder from the same brand.

The cacao chocolate I mentioned was actually 70% cacao, not 80% like I stated earlier.
thx. Marginal differences, I'd say. Also, terminology is inconsistent.
Old 11-22-23, 01:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MinnMan
thx. Marginal differences, I'd say. Also, terminology is inconsistent.
Yes for sure. The more important thing is to look for a minimum number of high quality organic ingredients. Even some dark chocolates are full of added sugar and other junk.

This guide to chocolate from Zoe is pretty good. They don’t mention cacao vs cocoa.

https://zoe.com/learn/dark-chocolate...h-benefits.amp

One health benefit I personally find is that eating a small amount of high quality dark chocolate prevents me from eating much larger quantities of junk chocolate!
Old 12-27-23, 06:14 AM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Which one is your favorite chocolate?

Out of so many choices I prefer Lindt 75% and Ritter dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts.
Old 12-27-23, 07:04 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
Which one is your favorite chocolate?

Out of so many choices I prefer Lindt 75% and Ritter dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts.
Aldi's Winternacht Erdnussberge (earth nut mountain?) dark chocolate clusters are a bit déclassé in comparison, but they're irresistible. They sold out almost immediately after they showed up in late November in the three Aldi locations that are within easy riding distance. (No Winternacht spiced Speculatius cookies this year for some reason.)
Old 12-27-23, 06:12 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I'm not a huge chocolate lover but when I want some I take some cocoa powder, a little water and some very ripe banana(as in nice and sweet smelling). Throw it in a saucepan, mash the banana with a fork, slowly heat it up. I let it slow boil for some 5 minutes. You can vary the consistency as you like, but for me it's all about the intense flavor, and I only want a few spoonfuls. If I wasn't using banana, I'd use honey, or date syrup. Anything but a fake sweetener, heck I'd use white sugar before a fake sweetener anymore. And yes, I used to eat all sorts of things with such fakes, but not for decades now. Sugar doesn't kill anyone. These dummies always leave off the part about "excessive" consumption. Hey, excessive water will kill you too.
Old 12-27-23, 07:13 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Garthr
Sugar doesn't kill anyone. These dummies always leave off the part about "excessive" consumption. Hey, excessive water will kill you too.
The difference is that excessive sugar consumption is of epidemic proportions in many countries.
Old 12-28-23, 12:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Anyone else enjoy a tall glass of chocolate milk after a ride?

Yeah I know it is sugar and crappy chocolate… but do ya?

Old 12-28-23, 01:40 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
That's an usual spelling of "beer".
Likes For davester:
Old 12-28-23, 05:39 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The difference is that excessive sugar consumption is of epidemic proportions in many countries.

Gee, if I was lawyer I'd say your statement is vague, argumentative, and irrelevant to the statement it replied to.
Old 12-28-23, 08:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Garthr
Gee, if I was lawyer I'd say your statement is vague, argumentative, and irrelevant to the statement it replied to.
I was just responding to your flippant statement that “sugar doesn’t kill anyone” and that the “dummies” fail to mention excess consumption. Neither of which are actually true.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-28-23, 08:04 AM
PeteHski

I do. Guilty as charged!
Old 12-28-23, 08:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Chocolate milk was being touted by a lot of people on Bike Forums as a miracle cure-all post-ride topper-upper in past years. Same for pickle juice. Maybe mix them for the ultimate benefit?
Old 12-28-23, 08:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts

Not usually at home, but often when on a long tour where I'll sometimes have it at mid ride breaks or end of ride breaks.
Old 12-28-23, 08:48 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
That's an usual spelling of "beer".

Old 12-28-23, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts

I have a limited appreciation of chocolate milk. During a ride (say at a control or rest stop), if I get back on the bike relatively quickly, it gives me stomach trouble. At the end of a day's ride, there's maybe half an hour between "I'm cool enough to enjoy chocolate milk" and "Yuck, I've outgrown that cloying muck." But during that brief period, it's delightful!
Old 12-28-23, 09:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I have a limited appreciation of chocolate milk. During a ride (say at a control or rest stop), if I get back on the bike relatively quickly, it gives me stomach trouble. At the end of a day's ride, there's maybe half an hour between "I'm cool enough to enjoy chocolate milk" and "Yuck, I've outgrown that cloying muck." But during that brief period, it's delightful!
For me it’s strictly an after ride “recovery” drink. There is no way I would be chugging down chocolate milk mid ride!
Old 12-28-23, 09:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

I drink chocolate milk during my rides, instead of after a ride...and no milk doesn't instantly go bad without refrigeration and will keep fresh for a few hours if you know how to store it properly. On warm or hot days I carry it inside an insulated stainless steel bottle and drink it when I take a break in the middle of my ride. Been doing it this way for many years.
Old 12-28-23, 09:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

I do. Guilty as charged!
You feel guilty for drinking chocolate milk ?. I don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.