Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steer tube riser

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steer tube riser

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 12:16 PM
metropical

Bikes: 2009 CAAD 9 - 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Steer tube riser

would like to sit up a little more as my body ages.
Have a CAAD9-6 56cm and I'm 6'.
Was fine for 15 years, but I'm not as flexible.
bought a Lerway from bezos discount house of everything you don't need.
But didn't realize (duh) it's not adjustable as far as it's own height; it's one piece.
And it's way to tall at 4".
It sits on the fork steer tube, so wherever the steer tube ends thru the head tube, that's the start of the rise.
I'm not really interested in cutting the fork steer tube to make the adjust, coz if I'm off ....
Are there 2" version of this or some how adjustable?
Not a pivot like this.
Old 11-15-23, 01:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You might can find some riser bars that will get you up to maybe 1½ inches higher. Combined with a stem that can give more of a angle you can get higher still.

Here is a link to some riser bars from Giant that have a 20mm rise just over 3/4" that will show you what riser drop bars look like. They make riser flat bars and others too if you aren't on drops..

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/co...mber=180000303

Personally I'd avoid steerer tube extenders. Those just seem like they are making more potential stress areas that might give way if you ever have to tug or push on the bars extremely hard. But those are an option too if you aren't that concerned.

Of course the better solution will be to get a new bike with a higher stack that will give you the more upright position you prefer. You probably deserve one if you are getting to that age.
Old 11-15-23, 03:20 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Is there space on the Lerway to put any spacers above the stem, rather than below it?
Old 11-15-23, 09:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Drop bars with rise plus stem that is a 35deg angle or something similar.
Simpler, safer, etc etc.
Soma Condor bars have the most rise I know of, but other brands like Ritchey, Specialized, and more have bars with rise.
Old 11-18-23, 07:36 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Get an up angle, non adjustable stem, for example +17 (AKA 73... 90-17=73), +25 or even +30 degrees vs the more common +6-8 degrees. Also check out online stem length/rise calculators to get the right length given the new angle.
Just a couple of examples

Ritchey WCS C220 73D Stem / Stems (ritcheylogic.com)
Ritchey WCS C220 25D Stem / Stems (ritcheylogic.com)
Ritchey Comp 4-Axis 30D Stem / Stems (ritcheylogic.com)

Or try one of those adjustable ones to figure out what you want. No harm in that.

Also, concerning the Lerway type you mention - first, go to a real online bike shop, like Western Bike works (my favorite), Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist, Art's, Universal, etc. etc., with a phone or email contact with people who can actually help you. I've used all of them and are all far superior to amazon in all respects. Or a local shop that has people who know what they're doing.

That said, I believe that the specific product you posted can be set right down on the headset, you don't need any spacers below it. And, on the extender itself, you could put spacers above the stem on the extender rather than below it. Therefore, the elevation would be much less depending on where you put spacers if any.

Also, if this particular product doesn't allow it (I think it might), there are versions that allow you to cut the top part down it to the length you want, like you'd shorten the steer tube if that's what you were doing. You might need to find a different/shorter bolt, but any decent hardware store will have one that would work. It's just a hex head metric bolt. First try removing all the spacers below the extender, put it right down on the headset, and on the extender, move spacers from below the stem to above it and see if it gets you where you need to be

But again, my advice is to contact an actual bike shop and quit shopping for bike parts on Amazon. Why people do that, I have no idea when there's so many actual bike shops that sell online, know what they're doing and have good prices and shipping.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-19-23 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-19-23, 03:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The Lerway thingy is aluminum. You could just cut the top of it shorter so your stem sits all the way down and the cap sits directly on it. That would make it like what you described.

BTW, the CAAD 9 has a low headtube already and 56 is small for a 6 foot rider. No wonder you are having issues.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-29-23, 03:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

BTW, the CAAD 9 has a low headtube already and 56 is small for a 6 foot rider. No wonder you are having issues.
Pretty broad generalization. I'm certain that a number of people 6 feet tall fit quite nicely on 56cm CAAD 9's. I'm 6'1" and my TT bike and cross bike are both 56cm frames.

We don't know the OP's inseam, torso or arm length. We don't even know the stem length or angle on his existing stem, or how many spacers he's running below the stem. Its impossible to say based on the info presented that he's on the wrong size frame.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-29-23, 04:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
When I was working on a new bike's fit, I cut some styrofoam slabs and used masking tape to attach them to the bars. That simulated about an inch higher bars. I did some short test rides with these.

~~~~~~
Just swapping out for a steeply angled stem might not be enough to raise the bars a lot.

Using this useful Stem Comparison Tool:
A typical road bike stem is often 100mm and +6 degrees.

Performance
has a 110mm 35 degree stem for 1 1/8 steerer tubes (or 1 inch steerers with a shim that's usually included.)
That's 24mm (0.94 inches) less reach, and 48 mm (1.9 inches) higher.
Perhaps the shorter reach is good for the OP? It would help for sitting more upright, which is his goal.

Or a +30 degree, 130mm stem: (Are these very long stems actually available?)
The new bar position is 3mm(0.1 inches) less reach and 56mm (2.2 inches) higher.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-29-23 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 05:07 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
metropical, post a picture of your bike from the side. Stand back and zoom in, with the camera at about top tube height, and straight back from the top tube, to get a correct perspective.

~~

Bar shape!
I googled the CAD 9-6, and found this image.
It looks like a 5 or 6 degree stem, here at -5 degrees, it can be flipped over at the steerer to be +5 degrees.

The bars are those annoying "ergo" bars that I never liked.

~~~

I like the newer bar style, with a short reach and a smooth curve on the drops. More like this. The hoods can be placed anywhere along the curve of the bars, and a slight upward slope, like this, is usually quite comfortable.

This better bar rotation and hood placement would help move the rider up and back a little, and a 90mm stem instead of this likely 110mm would help too. Maybe that's all the OP needs for now?

(I'm likely older than you. My bars are set even higher than this, maybe 1.5 inches below the top of the saddle. With the higher bars, my reach to the bars needs a slight upward angle on the portion of the bars behind the hoods, and the hoods are angled just a little more than this.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-29-23 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 10:13 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Pretty broad generalization. I'm certain that a number of people 6 feet tall fit quite nicely on 56cm CAAD 9's. I'm 6'1" and my TT bike and cross bike are both 56cm frames.

We don't know the OP's inseam, torso or arm length. We don't even know the stem length or angle on his existing stem, or how many spacers he's running below the stem. Its impossible to say based on the info presented that he's on the wrong size frame.
I'm not sure why it is so broad. The vast majority of people 6 feet tall have legs that put them up high for the 56's stack height and an upper body that is long for a 56's top tube. And that's because they are 6 feet tall.

If you are 6 feet tall and have shortish legs, you have a long upper body. Which makes a smallish 56 tough.
If you are 6 feet tall and have a short torso, you have long legs. Which makes a smallish 56 tough.

I have definitely seen people that feel comfortable hunched up on a bike, or like to ride around with their handlebars directly under their shoulders. I don't get why they do that - and I don't recommend it after fitting a lot of people.

But it is only one size down - not total insanity.