Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sage advice, or lunacy? Hmmm...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sage advice, or lunacy? Hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 09:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I thought posting that was a bannable offense. See you in a week or two, maybe.
Why would it be banned?
Old 02-01-24, 03:09 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why would it be banned?
you need to ask?
Old 02-01-24, 04:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Why would it be banned?

I think BITD it was posted too much and became an annoyance. I think it's the same for a Rick Roll.

Last edited by seypat; 02-01-24 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 06:23 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I read it and I thought it was just another page filling, click getting editorial fluff piece.
Old 02-01-24, 10:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
What I have found with carbon frames and forks is that they are limiting. Not much I can do to modify a carbon frame or fork to fit a different size hub OLD. I can remove the rear triangle on a lugged steel frame and change it to add tire clearance. Not something that can easily be done with carbon. I can change the rear drop out to horizontal on a steel frame, not so much with a carbon frame.

Yes, I have done all of the above with steel frames. To do the same with a carbon frame is major surgery and sometimes not possible. As I said, carbon frames are limiting.

Full disclosure, I have owned 3 carbon frames in the past and enjoyed them, but switched back to steel.
perhaps if you have frame building expertise and equipment. For the rest of us, cheaper and easier to sell a frame that doesn’t meet our needs and buy a new one, or buy the right one in the first place.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-01-24, 10:40 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by choddo
you need to ask?
Yes, why would it be banned?
Old 02-01-24, 10:42 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by seypat
I think BITD it was posted too much and became an annoyance. I think it's the same for a Rick Roll.
By that reasoning, threads about chain waxing, tubeless tires, and rim brakes should all be banned.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-01-24, 11:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
By that reasoning, threads about chain waxing, tubeless tires, and rim brakes should all be banned.
Also threads about whether cf or ti are superior frame materials, whether amateurs really need expensive bikes, whether $15 aliexpress jerseys are just as good as Assos, etc.

Come to think of it, yeah, it might be great if all of those things were banned.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-01-24, 12:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If it gets deleted, we'll find out why. Maybe people found the hipster butt cleavage or jerry curl mullet offensive. Who knows?
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-01-24, 12:17 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Yes, why would it be banned?
OK I guess you are maybe just very literal minded. It’s not really banned (or rather, I don’t think you would be banned for posting it). Not my post but my interpretation: It was a joke riffing off how bad it is / how bad it makes road cyclists look, even though I assume that in itself was the “joke” of the video.

Last edited by choddo; 02-01-24 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 12:23 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
Also threads about whether cf or ti are superior frame materials, whether amateurs really need expensive bikes, whether $15 aliexpress jerseys are just as good as Assos, etc.

Come to think of it, yeah, it might be great if all of those things were banned.
One can hope ...
Old 02-04-24, 10:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Atlas Shrugged, I do the work myself. Learned to braze back in high school and after many decades decided to build a frame made to fit me and with tubing and features to my liking. Ended up designing an building 5 of them! Rattle can paint is good enough as they are all working bikes. Costs are minimal, well below the cost of a replacement frame from any material.
As for replacing a rear triangle or drop outs, it is not difficult, at least it isn't for me. Working with carbon sheets is much more difficult from what minimum knowledge I have about the process.
This is such a unique and insignificant reason when applied to the topic overall that frankly, it really isn't of any value.

How many times in the last 5 years have you wanted to modify the OLD of a carbon bike? How many times have you wanted to modify the dropouts of a carbon bike?
Seriously, I am curious. What is the actual real life frequency for any of your concerns?

What a bonkers addition to a largely worthless thread topic.
Old 02-07-24, 08:22 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I say that more people should give good, modern steel a chance - not because it’s inherently better than carbon, but more that it’s different, with a set of properties that give it a different feel. Sure, steel is generally heavier and flexier than carbon, but it can also be smooth riding and whippy (read: fun).

But really, even as a metal bike enthusiast, with alu, Ti, and steel in my stable, I recognize that there are benefits to carbon that the other materials can’t easily match. Lighter than all but the lightest ti, often smoother riding than all but the best aluminum, etc. yes, speaking in broad generalizations, so don’t bite my head off here.

Try ‘‘em all (if you can these days), buy what you like. Just go out and ride!
Old 02-07-24, 01:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
(Carbon is] Lighter than all but the lightest ti
For real? Is there actually a bike frame made of titanium that weighs less than a Specialized Aethos (585 grams)?

I find that hard to believe. Very hard to believe.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-07-24, 01:24 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
For real? Is there actually a bike frame made of titanium that weighs less than a Specialized Aethos (585 grams)?

You missed a couple of key words with your post.

rideable
production
reliable
Old 02-07-24, 01:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You missed a couple of key words with your post.

rideable
production
reliable
Indeed. Also "functional".

Old 02-07-24, 02:03 PM
aliasfox

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Sure, if you're going to your lightest possible, Tour-level frames, nothing can touch carbon. But for a typical midrange carbon frame that's what... 900g? Or your entry level carbon jobs that are 1000-1100g, that's within striking distance of the lightest titanium frames I've read about. Litespeed at one point produced a 2.2lbs job (or ~1kg), and I think the Merlin Extralight was close to that, as well. I think I read on one of the other forums that their Mosaic came in around 2.4lbs, as well. Just looking around, a Cannondale Synapse, in 56cm, was weighed in at 1,035g by Velo, or right around 2.3lbs, so pretty darn close. A slightly older review from 2019 has Bianchi Infinitos at 1100g (XE) and 1030g (for the CV).

As for other materials:
My entry level CAAD 8 gen 2 (Chinese made) came in around 1300g, which is 2x an Aethos, but there are probably entry level carbon frames that are pretty similar. The likely ride a lot better though
He didn't release the frame weight, but Rob English even has a stainless steel frame that was used as part of a <6kg build. Not sure how much power I'd put down on that, but it sounds fun.
Old 02-07-24, 03:02 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by aliasfox
Sure, if you're going to your lightest possible, Tour-level frames, nothing can touch carbon. But for a typical midrange carbon frame that's what... 900g? Or your entry level carbon jobs that are 1000-1100g, that's within striking distance of the lightest titanium frames I've read about. Litespeed at one point produced a 2.2lbs job (or ~1kg), and I think the Merlin Extralight was close to that, as well. I think I read on one of the other forums that their Mosaic came in around 2.4lbs, as well. Just looking around, a Cannondale Synapse, in 56cm, was weighed in at 1,035g by Velo, or right around 2.3lbs, so pretty darn close. A slightly older review from 2019 has Bianchi Infinitos at 1100g (XE) and 1030g (for the CV).
Sorry, but making the general claim that titanium is lighter than carbon, and then supporting your claim by comparing the lightest titanium frames to middle weight carbon frames, is about as dishonest as you can get.
Old 02-07-24, 03:30 PM
aliasfox

Sorry, but making the general claim that titanium is lighter than carbon, and then supporting your claim by comparing the lightest titanium frames to middle weight carbon frames, is about as dishonest as you can get.
Sorry, I never meant to claim that ti was lighter than the lightest carbon - just that the lightest weight metal frames can get into the same realm as carbon. I'm writing these posts between meetings (or while I'm on meetings, like right now...), so apologies for not making that clear.

The lightest weight carbon is untouchable, but middleweight carbon (~1kg) isn't an unattainable weight by the lightest titanium or aluminum frames available. Of course, when you're comparing gram for gram, you're likely to give up more in stiffness and strength with metal than with carbon. A 1.1kg carbon frame would be considered a fairly stout endurance machine, whereas a 1.1kg ti or 1.2kg aluminum frame would be considered a featherweight climbing rig (for their particular materials).

Does that make my statement more amenable?
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 02-07-24, 04:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I bought a Canyon Endurace CF8 this past July and have put about 4000 miles on it so far and I still think steel bikes look better and If I had to do it over I probably would have spent a little more and got a steel bike.
I see what you did there.