Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grounded by 650b tires

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Grounded by 650b tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 04:20 PM
richjac

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grounded by 650b tires

Well we decided to buy the Co-Motion Mocha only to have a tire failure after our first ride. We were planning a ride with friends tomorrow, but no store in the area has 650b tires in stock, so either we cancel or I drive 120 miles in the morning to pick up a tire.

I guess I'll pick up a spare... starting to regret not buying the Primera IMG_1011.jpg
Old 05-26-17, 04:51 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
That sucks. You have a local facebook cycling group you could post a request to buy/borrow?

I let someone borrow a wheel after seeing their post on facebook a few months ago.
Old 05-26-17, 05:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You can borrow my tandem. It's a '92 Santana Fusion with 26" wheels. My wife ordered 10 yards of mulch to be delivered tomorrow morning, so we won't be using it this weekend.
Old 05-26-17, 08:27 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingston
You can borrow my tandem. It's a '92 Santana Fusion with 26" wheels. My wife ordered 10 yards of mulch to be delivered tomorrow morning, so we won't be using it this weekend.
Thanks for the offer, but I think it's time for a visit to Madison anyway, or we can ride our singles...
Old 05-26-17, 08:56 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
richjac,
Which tire is that and what happened to it?
Old 05-26-17, 09:21 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chojn1
richjac,
Which tire is that and what happened to it?
It's a Schwalbe Marathon 650b 42mm. Torn right at the bead. It was either defective or installed improperly, so I'll follow up with the dealer for a replacement, but it's still going to be a hassle. I could have bought a Primera locally for less money, but I convinced myself that the Mocha would be more versatile. Novelty has a cost - I'm also finding it difficult to mount a rack on this bike because of the rear disc caliper placement, and had to buy an adapter to mount the front wheel (thru axle) to my car rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1014.jpg (80.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 05-27-17, 12:07 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
650 B is what MTBers call 27.5.
Not an ideal road tire, but should be rideable if you can get one.
Old 05-28-17, 08:32 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know it is frustrating to have a ride disrupted. I suggest no matter what type of bike you ride that you have spare parts at home. Even if you limit yourself to bikes and components that are carried by your local shop it may be a day when they are closed and you need a derailleur, tire, or chain.

A good example are tandem length cables. No shops around here have them in stock. I buy then on line and keep a supply in hand. Tandems require planning ahead to avoid disruption. My stoker says that's my job and I should have a bike ready to ride at all times.
Old 05-28-17, 09:10 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak

A good example are tandem length cables....
Unless you run full-length housing, extending shifter cables in a reliable manner is no big deal.
Galvanized ones takes solder real well. Wind the cables around each other in a slack spiral for 2-3", solder and you're done.
Stainless take a fairly special solder, but can be reliably extended with crimp-on cable connectors. I drill out the stopper, run both cables through, and crimp it.

I haven't needed to extend a brake cable yet. But for a regular bike I wouldn't be particularly concerned about extending a rear brake cable.
Old 05-28-17, 03:20 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good advice which I will take to heart. I'm mulling over my options for 650b tires at the moment. I did find a cheap Kenda tire which got us through yesterday's ride, and will serve as a spare.

I can replace the Schwalbe Marathon for $35, but am looking at a pair of Compass Switchback Hill tires.. 2X the cost (each), is it worth it? I was going to wait until the stock tires wore out to try this, maybe this is the time.

I bought into the 650b wide tire paradigm with this bike - might as well take it all the way.
Old 05-28-17, 05:09 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by richjac
...is it worth it?...
Yes. Compass tires are worth it.
Old 05-28-17, 06:56 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Unless you run full-length housing, extending shifter cables in a reliable manner is no big deal.
Galvanized ones takes solder real well. Wind the cables around each other in a slack spiral for 2-3", solder and you're done.
Stainless take a fairly special solder, but can be reliably extended with crimp-on cable connectors. I drill out the stopper, run both cables through, and crimp it.

I haven't needed to extend a brake cable yet. But for a regular bike I wouldn't be particularly concerned about extending a rear brake cable.
All very possible and I can see it being useful if you are in a Jam, but for regular maintenance I can't see why you wouldn't keep a few tandem brake and shifter cables in the draw to use when required.
Old 05-29-17, 07:54 AM
justcrankn

Bikes: Trek T2000, Ventana ElConquistador, ElSanto, STP400, 5500, JubileeSport, Scattante...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Switchback's will fit. Ours measure 51 mm. We even have fenders but there's not a lot of clearance. Tubes are required after one blew off the rim when mounted tubeless. We use ours for light gravel and rough pavement and Terrene Elwood's for heavy gravel.
Old 05-30-17, 06:30 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
I know it is frustrating to have a ride disrupted. I suggest no matter what type of bike you ride that you have spare parts at home. Even if you limit yourself to bikes and components that are carried by your local shop it may be a day when they are closed and you need a derailleur, tire, or chain.

A good example are tandem length cables. No shops around here have them in stock. I buy then on line and keep a supply in hand. Tandems require planning ahead to avoid disruption. My stoker says that's my job and I should have a bike ready to ride at all times.
richjac

I think you will really enjoy your new 650b bike. You have a little prep work to get set-up and then you will be good to go! We've not ridden this size configuration but several in this group do and really love them. Don't let this little set-back get you down on your new bike, as you get going and are enjoying your smooth ride as others are bouncing along on their 700 by 25c set-up you can just smile. You will need to connect with waynesulak as their team are very seasoned in riding this configuration. Ride on!
Old 05-30-17, 04:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac

we just use Ritchey Cable connectors and single bike cables. That way if you break a cable, you only need to find a single bike replacement.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-30-17, 05:08 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul J
richjac

I think you will really enjoy your new 650b bike. You have a little prep work to get set-up and then you will be good to go! We've not ridden this size configuration but several in this group do and really love them. Don't let this little set-back get you down on your new bike, as you get going and are enjoying your smooth ride as others are bouncing along on their 700 by 25c set-up you can just smile. You will need to connect with waynesulak as their team are very seasoned in riding this configuration. Ride on!
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure that this will work out just fine, once I get the bugs worked out and have a spare tire or two. Hopefully the Compass Switchback tires at 55psi max pressure will be fine. I could lose 20-30 pounds to make it even better!
Old 05-30-17, 05:11 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justcrankn
The Switchback's will fit. Ours measure 51 mm. We even have fenders but there's not a lot of clearance. Tubes are required after one blew off the rim when mounted tubeless. We use ours for light gravel and rough pavement and Terrene Elwood's for heavy gravel.
I have them on order... looking forward to a smooth(er) ride. Tubes for sure. I'm not sold on tubeless... haven't figured out yet why I would need it, either on my single or the tandem. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Old 06-01-17, 08:43 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We have a 26" Mocha S&S and like it for the versatility. Once you get the kinks worked out I'm sure you'll be enjoying it.

Although I will say that I don't get the recent fascination with 650 instead of 26". Functionally the same size, and 26" has decades of global support behind it as a standard. I can walk into virtually any store that carries bike parts around the globe and probably find a workable 26" tire to get me back on the road. The bike industry makes me crazy with its constant switching of "standards" just to have something new to sell.

But I digress...
Old 06-01-17, 07:38 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
We have a 26" Mocha S&S and like it for the versatility. Once you get the kinks worked out I'm sure you'll be enjoying it.

Although I will say that I don't get the recent fascination with 650 instead of 26". Functionally the same size, and 26" has decades of global support behind it as a standard. I can walk into virtually any store that carries bike parts around the globe and probably find a workable 26" tire to get me back on the road. The bike industry makes me crazy with its constant switching of "standards" just to have something new to sell.

But I digress...

Goldilocks principle
Old 06-01-17, 08:21 PM
richjac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem

But I digress...
It is ironic perhaps... we had a Trek T900 with 26 inch wheels and the first thing I did was swap the 2in tires for 1.5 inch at higher pressure. Researching the new purchase, I opted for the 650b wheels and will be putting 48mm tires on it tomorrow. This will give me a similar tire diameter to my 700c road bike with 25mm tires, and should be comfy without slowing us down. It's not about speed for us, but I don't want to work harder than necessary - always felt that smaller wheels took more effort to cover any given distance.