Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Dual Drive Hub Oil Change?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 12:48 PM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts

I've had my Dahon Jetstream EX for 11 years now. I don't know how many miles, but I've worn out one BB already, and several sets of tires. It occurred to me that I've never changed the oil in the planetary gear hub!! It works fine, but? The manual says that it's "permanently lubricated" -- how long is "permanent"? Anyone ever deal with this question?
Old 10-24-23, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Might be some Dahon dealers or mechanics that come here. Though Dahon's do get discussed, usually it's about things common to other bikes also. Your planetary gear hub might be anyone just guessing here. You might get more accurate info from a Dahon authorized dealer or service center. Or just go to their website and find the nearest contact to you and call or email them.

https://eu.dahon.com/contact/

I'd look at permanent as permanent. If visually you excessive lube seepage around it, then you can figure the seal is bad and if that isn't replaceable, then it's probably new bike time or at least new planetary gear hub when ever it gives it's last.

Maybe their "permanent" is similar to a salesman at a big box building supply that told me a power tool he was trying to sell me was warranted for the life of the tool.
Old 10-24-23, 02:02 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Shimano Alfine has a change protocol, so perhaps this system is similar. Random DIY article.

https://www.2blua.com/post/from-the-...hub-oil-change

Ignored they will at some point fail (leak, poor shifting, etc.)
Old 10-24-23, 02:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
SRAM quit manufacturing gear hubs - including your DualDrive - in February, 2017.

There are no spare parts. If it ain't broke, I wouldn't try to fix it.

The SRAM TechManual MY10 GearHubSystems English RevA (← Googleable) gives complete disassembly and reassembly instructions for the DualDrive. From page 65:

LUBRICATION
GEAR HUB
Hubs are provided with permanent lubrication and maintenance-free under normal conditions.

Cleaning of parts:

• All parts – except the planetary gear carrier and the driver – can be degreased in a cleaning bath.

• Planetary gear carrier and driver only need to be cleaned on the outside with a brush so as not to degrease the bearings.

Lubrication of parts:

Use only SRAM special grease, part no. 0369 135 200 / ... 201.
Lubricate ball retainers and ball tracks only with SRAM Ball Bearing Grease. Part no. 0369.001.015
  • To lubricate the bearing points on
    the planetary gear sets, position the planetary gear carrier pawls upside and apply 2 – 3 drops of oil to the bearing bolts – at the same time turning the planetary gears so that the bearing points are completely wet. Oil axle slot, apply a thin coating of grease to the outside.

• Grease the teeth of the axle (fill the gaps).
  • Apply grease to gear ring teeth but just oil the pawls and pawl teeth.
  • Oil pawl carrier pawls and pawl bearings.
  • Oil cartridge bearing.
  • Regrease ball retainers, line ball bear-ing running tracks with grease
Old 10-24-23, 02:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Oh, BTW, if you lose or damage your SRAM DualDrive's p.n. 65 0328 002 004 Schaltstift (Shift Rod Dual Drive, qty 1), you'll be building a new wheel with a Sturmey-Archer CS-RF3 hub.

Old 10-24-23, 07:13 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
These guys service all types of internal geared hubs and have some good advice:

https://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml

You should also check out Sheldon Brown's (and John Allen's) take on IGH maintenance:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sachs-internal.html
Old 10-25-23, 09:50 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
If you’re looking for spare parts, talk to Green Gear, the Bike Friday people. I think they bought all the parts when SRAM got out of the internal hub business.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-25-23, 06:35 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Bend or lose the shifter pin on an SRAM dual-drive and throw it away? Not likely since you can still find brand new ones. It took about 3 minutes to locate this one for $20 SRAM Dual Drive Shifting Pin (Push Rod)
It is not rocket science to separate the internals from the hub shell. I've done it after I learned that a bike shop in Washington state that does cleaning and re greasing wanted over $100 for this simple job. I had the bearing retainer inside the hub break and found out that even that bike shop could not get SRAM parts during the time they were still making new ones.
Unless you are having the palls that engage the hub shell with the inner workings sticking, I would leave well enough alone.