Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keep Your Black Tires Black

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 09:45 AM
crklein3 

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I cleaned my wife's Cannondale hybrid a few weekends ago and the results were amazing. Her black Continental Gatorskins were browning from UV and dirt. When I was done she had black silky smooth tires. Added grip is a byproduct. Simple all that I did was to hose down the tire, spray liberally with Ru-Glyde, brush with a nylon tire brush, rinse and wipe with a microfiber.
I use Ru-Glyde as a lube to install tight tires, can also be used to make rubber look new again. $16/gallon at auto parts store is a great value.

Last edited by crklein3; 01-16-24 at 09:47 AM. Reason: format
Likes For crklein3:
Old 01-16-24, 10:34 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I fail to grasp how applying a rubber lubricant to the tires provides added grip.
Did you get any on the brake pads? How good are they now?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-16-24, 10:39 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
A clean bicycle goes faster...

After cleaning my bikes I spray the entire bike with ArmourAll tire foam. I then judiciously wipe it all off...
Old 01-16-24, 12:04 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I would just worry about and on the tread making it slippery. Take care for a few miles. I use Ru Glide for mounting motorcycle tires. It does seem to dry and not be as slippery as Amour all.
Old 01-16-24, 12:47 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I fail to grasp how applying a rubber lubricant to the tires provides added grip.
Yeah. It looks like OP knows not what he says.

Added grip
Old 01-16-24, 09:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Reminds me of a guy with a new sports car that decided to ArmorAll not only the sidewalls but the treads. He immediately took the car out and goosed it around a corner, the car immediately started an uncontrollable slide and totaled it.

Not saying this will happen to the OP, but I would recommend taking a rag with rubbing alcohol and going over the tread areas - just to be sure. Otherwise, the tires look good.

Old 01-16-24, 09:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Reminds me of a guy with a new sports car that decided to ArmorAll not only the sidewalls but the treads. He immediately took the car out and goosed it around a corner, the car immediately started an uncontrollable slide and totaled it.

Not saying this will happen to the OP, but I would recommend taking a rag with rubbing alcohol and going over the tread areas - just to be sure. Otherwise, the tires look good.
You don't want to ArmorAll your motorcycle seat.

I've heard the stuff on new tires to release them from the mold is slippery when wet.
Old 01-17-24, 08:16 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
I use Aerospace 303 on RV and my bike collection, helps appearance and arrest cracking and no noticeable impact on the tire to road adhesion.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-17-24, 08:50 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I've used tire shine (ironically the low-shine) liberally on all of my cars/trucks and never felt the slightest bit of traction loss. Okay sure, if you slather up the treads in the pits and hit the track, that may backfire. But come on, who's pulling 1g out of their driveway. That 4,000 lbs car will scrub of any slime in about 50'.

The big concern with adding anything to a bike tire is the brakes - those with rim brakes (like the one we're discussing). I detail my bikes like the car guy I am (yeah, ceramic coating on the frame, shut up) but I stop at the tires.
Old 01-18-24, 10:33 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I've used tire shine (ironically the low-shine) liberally on all of my cars/trucks
I use the low-shine tire foam also on my show car but never considered using it on my bike (the usual glossy stuff a lot of guys use is much too glossy in my opinion).

But my bike picks up too much dust. I am sure even the low-shine stuff would turn brown soon enough from the dust where I live.
Old 01-18-24, 02:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
That brown stuff on your tire sidewalls is evidence that the UV/oxidation protection in the rubber compound is working.

Aggressively cleaning tires can remove this protective material. I would avoid doing much tire cleaning, other than rinsing off the mud.

As for spray on additives, skip 'em.

Old 01-18-24, 03:31 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I use Aerospace 303 on RV and my bike collection, helps appearance and arrest cracking and no noticeable impact on the tire to road adhesion.
Does that by any chance mean that you need a space suit to ride your bicycle in vacuum? 😉
Old 01-18-24, 06:58 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
You’re supposed to clean your bike? Personally, I don’t want to destroy the patina
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-18-24, 07:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

I used STP Son of a Gun on my bike tires when I was a kid. I hope the OP test rides his wife's bike on some wet surfaces before he sends her out.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-18-24, 07:48 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
During the winter time, I simply shake off the snow and whatever else it might have picked in it from the bike before putting it in the garage. Every so often, when it starts looking like it may salt on it, I hose it off with water and dry it with a towel (reserved for bikes only). That’s about it… no shining tires or anything else. I only try to get rid of salt in the winter time.
Old 01-21-24, 04:09 PM
crklein3 

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Its not just a lubricant. Its a cleaner/ rubber rejuvenator. Once dry= very tacky. Spray with a hose= feels like wet new rubber. Not slippery at all.

Old 01-21-24, 10:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I use it on my wiper blades to prolong their service life as well on dash and weatherstripping. Since my Conti GP5000s side walls start cracking before their tread is gone, I may just give the sidewalls (only) the treatment.

Old 01-22-24, 06:12 AM
crklein3 

A lot of posters are missing the point. You don't want any tire dressing on any part of a bike tire. Bicycle/motorcycle tires use their sidewall for traction when cornering. The Ru-Glyde is not a dressing but a cleaner. Leaves nothing behind. No shine, just a clean new looking tire. Remember the last step is to wipe completely with a wet wash cloth to make sure there is no residue remaining..

Old 01-22-24, 07:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by crklein3
A lot of posters are missing the point. You don't want any tire dressing on any part of a bike tire. Bicycle/motorcycle tires use their sidewall for traction when cornering...
I find this unusual as all tires "use their sidewall for traction when cornering." I am aware of issues with motorcyclists that use oil based lubricants like Armor All which attack the rubber molecular structure when used to dress tires. However, Aerospace is water based without any petroleum distillates, alcohol, mineral oil or harmful silicone oils and has been used on our Snowbird RVs in AZ for over 30 years w/o issue.
Old 01-22-24, 12:06 PM
crklein3 

303 is some great stuff. I have several products in my auto detail kit. I'll check if I have any rubber prep?

Old 01-26-24, 08:36 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
I use spray adhesive on my tires for grip. Used to use pine tar but it got messy.
Likes For cweb99:
Old 01-29-24, 06:23 AM
crklein3 

I find this unusual as all tires "use their sidewall for traction when cornering." I am aware of issues with motorcyclists that use oil based lubricants like Armor All which attack the rubber molecular structure when used to dress tires. However, Aerospace is water based without any petroleum distillates, alcohol, mineral oil or harmful silicone oils and has been used on our Snowbird RVs in AZ for over 30 years w/o issue.
There is a disconnect here as well. Auto/truck tires rely on their tread for traction. The sidewalls never are in contact with the road, since they don't lean into a corner. Auto tires do use their sidewall for traction by their stiffness to keep the tread in contact with the road. 303 is awesome stuff. I've used it as well for my cars, haven't tried it on my bike. Should give it a shot.

Likes For crklein3:
Old 01-29-24, 06:43 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
I use spray adhesive on my tires for grip. Used to use pine tar but it got messy.
I heard crazy glue does a great job too. Next thing I'm trying is engine oil. A guy on the internets told me it helps with the adherence when climbing.
Old 01-29-24, 10:29 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
"all that I did was to hose down the tire, spray liberally with Ru-Glyde, brush with a nylon tire brush, rinse and wipe with a microfiber."
Old 01-29-24, 11:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
https://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...0_Ru_Glyde.pdf

OSHA may have this product on their hit list for 2024. So far its not listed as a hazardous waste. But in some states the Sodium dichromate, dihydrate and the Ethylene glycol are a No, No.

Many of us remember the days of Tetraethyllead and R22. Rats... Looks like we might loose another one...

Last edited by zandoval; 01-29-24 at 11:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.