Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

what the advantage of a tt frame?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 03:14 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thinking of building a tt bike on the cheap or getting a used tt bike. I have a non tt aluminum frame that would probably work. Just wondering what A tt frame can do that a standard frame cannot.
Old 07-18-11, 04:52 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
it is a comfort thing......faster . But if you cannot ride it does not matter...
Old 07-18-11, 05:50 PM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
um ok.
Old 07-18-11, 09:30 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats true but its really about the different geometry giving you a more aero position on the bike. This means head down, bum up and minimal frontal area. The seat tube will be steeper (79 v 76 degrees) and if its a modern TT frame, the rear wheel will be jammed up under the seatpost too. Google Cervelo P3 and look at the images to see what I mean. You can put aero bars on a regular roadie and get pretty aero but you may feel quite stretched out or struggle to get the saddle forward enough on the seat post so that you can actually ride leaning on the aerobars. Really, if you want to build a TT bike, you need a TT frame.

Does this help? Post more questions if not.
Old 07-18-11, 09:36 PM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well I see that I can use a custom or bent seat post to get forward enough.
Old 07-19-11, 06:02 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO and from my limited experience I find the most notable benefit of a TT type frame to be the postion of the rider over the cranks. I'm just the typical "bike as a lifestyle" type of cyclist so there's a damn good chance that I cannot exploit all of the benefits of a TT frame but the bike I built for Triathlons is a late 80's steel framed Nishiki with a modified seat post to bring my body over the cranks more. When the weather and conditions are good I can do one of my training routes of 21 miles in ~52 minutes (about 23.7mph average) on the Nishiki. I tried the same course under similar conditions several times on a Bianchi D2 Crono TriCarbon and shaved off only a minute at best (about 24.7mph average). Not a very exacting or scientific approach but it did help put things into perspective for me... a 48 year old amateur "athlete" who is more a utilitarian/commuting cyclist than a competitive cyclist. YMMV
Old 07-20-11, 03:32 PM
byrnemm
In vitro cyclist

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Comp Double, 2011 Mercier Kilo Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
Thats true but its really about the different geometry giving you a more aero position on the bike. This means head down, bum up and minimal frontal area. The seat tube will be steeper (79 v 76 degrees) and if its a modern TT frame, the rear wheel will be jammed up under the seatpost too. Google Cervelo P3 and look at the images to see what I mean. You can put aero bars on a regular roadie and get pretty aero but you may feel quite stretched out or struggle to get the saddle forward enough on the seat post so that you can actually ride leaning on the aerobars. Really, if you want to build a TT bike, you need a TT frame.

Does this help? Post more questions if not.
There's one more extremely important point to mention...

The steeper angle and different geometry works your leg muscles differently. Switching to TT frames from road bike geometry won't just help your bike time, it will noticeably drop your runtime.
Old 07-21-11, 12:50 AM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I said tt not tri lol. Not a triathlete. . . yet.

Could you say a tt frame is safer handling than a converted road frame?

What is a common size tt frame for a 6 footer with medium flexibility.

Last edited by Nick Bain; 07-21-11 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 06:23 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
I said tt not tri lol.
Seems to be pretty much the same thing concerning frame design.

What is a common size tt frame for a 6 footer with medium flexibility.
1. a person's height is not something you should base a frame size on. At the very least inseam, torso length and arm reach are to be considered.
2. what do you mean by "safer handling"? A road frame usually is a compromise between stiffness and ride compliance... a frame that efficiently transfers a rider's effort to the wheels yet is compliant enough to ride smoothly and not beat up the rider after many miles. A TT frame is designed mainly for speed.

It's possible to set up a road frame with the same rider ergos as a TT frame, the big difference will be in frame handling characteristics.
Old 07-21-11, 11:16 AM
pharasz
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You look cool riding it.
Old 07-21-11, 07:30 PM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
safety in regards to balance and steering, not ride quality.
Old 07-22-11, 10:22 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
safety in regards to balance and steering, not ride quality.
Sorry but the bit in bold is still too vague. Some people would consider a relatively sluggish handling bike safe whereas other's feel that a bike with a quick steering response is safer. The shorter wheelbase, steeper steering tube angles and reduced rake and trail of a TT bike will make it quicker handling ("twitchier" to some) than a road bike but it's up to the user to decide if it's safer.

Either way whether the bike has a road frame or a TT frame safety is compromised once the rider drops onto the aero bar pads.
Old 07-24-11, 02:44 PM
tessartype

Bikes: 2009 Felt B2 Pro, 2009 Trek 1.2, '80s Hercules beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Sorry but the bit in bold is still too vague. Some people would consider a relatively sluggish handling bike safe whereas other's feel that a bike with a quick steering response is safer. The shorter wheelbase, steeper steering tube angles and reduced rake and trail of a TT bike will make it quicker handling ("twitchier" to some) than a road bike but it's up to the user to decide if it's safer.

Either way whether the bike has a road frame or a TT frame safety is compromised once the rider drops onto the aero bar pads.
TT bikes have more trail and slacker head-tube ("steering tube") angles than road-bikes. Cervelo's P-series have 72.5 degrees, while road machines usually sport 73deg, or even 73.5deg. Focus' Izalco Chrono sports 72deg, Trek's Speed Concept 72.5deg again.

A TT/Tri bike needs more relaxed angles and sluggish steering to counteract the fact that you're basically putting your torso over the fork while simultaneously putting yourself in a position that makes it harder to control. Your centre of gravity is far forward, which makes any movement more significant.

The steep part of a Tri bike is the seattube, which is where (traditional) TT and Tri geometries differ: A TT bike needs to provide as aerodynamic and efficient a position as possible - while a Tri bike has to do all and save some running muscles. By placing the rider further forward, some muscle-groups work less - it might make your bike-split slower, but it saves some strength for the run.
Old 07-25-11, 10:54 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tessartype
TT bikes have more trail and slacker head-tube ("steering tube") angles than road-bikes. Cervelo's P-series have 72.5 degrees, while road machines usually sport 73deg, or even 73.5deg. Focus' Izalco Chrono sports 72deg, Trek's Speed Concept 72.5deg again.
I stand corrected on the head tube angle. My experience has been that TT/Tri bikes felt twitchy compared to road bikes so I falsely assumed it was due to steeper head tubes. I'll need to see what the ratio is of wheelbase to trail.

**Update**
Apparently fork rake is also slightly greater on a few of the bikes I checked (Cervelo, Kestrel, Quintana Roo, Jamis) so trail will be reduced and the handling should be "more predictable; slower" than a road bike. I find this odd since my experiences/impressions have been to the contrary.

I apologize for my incorrect assumptions.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 07-26-11 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 10:18 AM
jordo_99

Bikes: KHS John Howard (6500 Ultegra) - Quattro Assi XXX (6510 Ultegra/Neuvation wheels) - Gary Fisher Tasajara (Deore/LX)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand corrected on the head tube angle. My experience has been that TT/Tri bikes felt twitchy compared to road bikes so I falsely assumed it was due to steeper head tubes. I'll need to see what the ratio is of wheelbase to trail.
Yeah, I'm pretty it's the handlebars that give that feeling. TT handlebars are forward (talking about bullhorn bars...not just the aero bars) so it puts your arms in a more aero position at expense of comfortable steering. At least that's my experience.

Rake and wheelbase affect how well a bike balances itself while riding. To my knowledge, that's why the TT bikes are different in those measurements. To help make up for the different steering.
Old 07-26-11, 10:19 AM
jordo_99

Bikes: KHS John Howard (6500 Ultegra) - Quattro Assi XXX (6510 Ultegra/Neuvation wheels) - Gary Fisher Tasajara (Deore/LX)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the handlebars that give that feeling. TT handlebars are forward (talking about bullhorn bars as well...not just the aero bars/pads) so they put your arms in a more aero position at expense of steering dexterity. At least that's my experience.

Rake and wheelbase affect how well a bike balances itself while riding. To my knowledge, that's why the TT bikes are different in those measurements. To help make up for the different steering position.

Last edited by jordo_99; 07-26-11 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-11, 01:09 AM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tessartype

A TT/Tri bike needs more relaxed angles and sluggish steering to counteract the fact that you're basically putting your torso over the fork while simultaneously putting yourself in a position that makes it harder to control. Your centre of gravity is far forward, which makes any movement more significant.

The steep part of a Tri bike is the seattube, which is where (traditional) TT and Tri geometries differ: A TT bike needs to provide as aerodynamic and efficient a position as possible - while a Tri bike has to do all and save some running muscles. By placing the rider further forward, some muscle-groups work less - it might make your bike-split slower, but it saves some strength for the run.

oh snap I didn't realize there were two different fits. so does that mean there are two different frame styles ? or do both fits share one frame.? is that why jamis has a two spots to attach the seat to the seatpost?
Old 07-28-11, 02:27 AM
tessartype

Bikes: 2009 Felt B2 Pro, 2009 Trek 1.2, '80s Hercules beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh snap I didn't realize there were two different fits. so does that mean there are two different frame styles ? or do both fits share one frame.? is that why jamis has a two spots to attach the seat to the seatpost?
The difference is not huge and can usually be "cured" with a seatpost - many offer their bikes with two interchangeable posts: A ~73deg "traditional" and a ~78deg "Tri".

Both markets are not yet large enough to truly separate, but the regulations for triathlons are different from the UCI rules governing TTs. For example, some baseboards for the aerobars have shapes that would be TT-illegal but work in a Tri - or the famous Zipp 2001 and Trek Y-Foil. Quintana Roo, I believe, produced a limited-edition bike that would not be UCI-legal.