Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

1/2 Bikers with Idle Minds

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 10:58 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

We did the Chico Velo "Mildflower" 100K this year on the tandem with 3,999 or so of our closest friends. There is a decent climb 12-13 miles into the ride called Honey Run, 4.5 miles with 1300+ elevation. As we crawled up that grade, periodically enjoying our new 36t cog, singles by the many hundreds would have occasion to pass us. 1/2 bike riders can be thus classified:

1. Silent - into their own thing. I only hope they are suffering despite their appearing faster
2. "Go tandem" or similar- bit of encouraging word in recognition of the suffering associated with hauling a tandem and two aging carcasses up the hill
3. "Wish I could get my SO to ride a tandem" - they are jealous, but don't recognize the suffering associated with climbing
4. "She's not pedaling" - the lowest of the low. They don't even know enough about tandems to come up with a good line.

It's all in good fun of course and we actually did much better on the climb than two years ago. The rest stops were good, but the post-race meal was one of the best we've ever had. I know I gained weight on this ride. Also, we brought our Camelbaks and that made a big difference on the climb in terms of being able to drink more freely.
Old 05-02-12, 04:15 AM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
We did the Chico Velo "Mildflower" 100K this year on the tandem with 3,999 or so of our closest friends. There is a decent climb 12-13 miles into the ride called Honey Run, 4.5 miles with 1300+ elevation. As we crawled up that grade, periodically enjoying our new 36t cog, singles by the many hundreds would have occasion to pass us. 1/2 bike riders can be thus classified:

1. Silent - into their own thing. I only hope they are suffering despite their appearing faster
2. "Go tandem" or similar- bit of encouraging word in recognition of the suffering associated with hauling a tandem and two aging carcasses up the hill
3. "Wish I could get my SO to ride a tandem" - they are jealous, but don't recognize the suffering associated with climbing
4. "She's not pedaling" - the lowest of the low. They don't even know enough about tandems to come up with a good line.

It's all in good fun of course and we actually did much better on the climb than two years ago. The rest stops were good, but the post-race meal was one of the best we've ever had. I know I gained weight on this ride. Also, we brought our Camelbaks and that made a big difference on the climb in terms of being able to drink more freely.
Great assessment. With regard to #4, my usual response is, "yeah, I know. But she's taking me to Longhorn Steakhouse after the ride, so I call it even." . That usually shuts them up. As far as YOUR ride, I shudder at the thought of the climb. We're basically flatlanders.
Old 05-02-12, 06:27 AM
teamdonterri

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SWorks, Specialized Enduro Pro, KHS Milano Tandem sold, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, but I bet you were able to pass most of them back up on the decent! People on singles are generally shocked when a tandem blows by them after thinking they were left way behind on a climb.
Old 05-02-12, 06:41 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I always wanted to respond to smart guys that say "she's not pedaling" with the retort: "at least she is back there. Where is your wife?" That however would be mean spirited so I just smile and keep my mouth shut. I try to remember "she's not pedaling" is usually said in good humor with no ill intent just a lack of creativity.

Last edited by waynesulak; 05-02-12 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 07:27 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"She's not pedaling" - the lowest of the low. They don't even know enough about tandems to come up with a good line.
Just started with my tandem, but I've been warned that's the comment I will hear the most. I have already worked up my snappy response:
"I know. I glued her feet to the pedals last week and she's still mad at me."
Old 05-02-12, 08:42 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by teamdonterri
Yea, but I bet you were able to pass most of them back up on the decent! People on singles are generally shocked when a tandem blows by them after thinking they were left way behind on a climb.
Well, we did blow by a number of singles including one particular case of bad judgement involving a pass of three singles and a car. Max speed this year was only 46 mph due to being held up by the car (which was being held up by three singles). Sight lines were very, very good, but I had to slightly cross over the double yellow. Won't do that again I'm thinking, but I had been on my brakes for 20-30 seconds behind the car. Shame on me.
Old 05-02-12, 08:57 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I hear "lucky!" at least as often as "she's not pedaling." Nice to have the gears so you can get into a rhythm, isn't it? And the heck with them. You could kill them on your single. Nothing like a tandem for making you strong. Those poor suckers, climbing all alone. Bet a lot of them sleep alone, too. Poor suckers. Meanwhile, thanks for patting my butt and working so hard back there! Life is sure good, isn't it?

I'll dice with the cars on my single, but not on the tandem.
Old 05-02-12, 09:02 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
My daughter and I passed another tandem on the North Dakota CANDISC ride last summer and I just had to shout this out. Unfortunately, the other team didn't get the sarcasm, but my daughter behind me was grinning from ear to ear....
Old 05-02-12, 09:32 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
... Those poor suckers, climbing all alone. Bet a lot of them sleep alone, too. Poor suckers. Meanwhile, thanks for patting my butt and working so hard back there! Life is sure good, isn't it? ....
I rode one century last year on my single. It turned out to be hot and I was lonely and miserable. Better to suffer as a team.

As an aside, we can get up most anything in our 24-32 combination, but there were some double-digit pitches, one >13%, where the 36t eliminated the leg-killing grunt factor. Its those early-ride grunt sessions that I find can induce late-ride cramps.
Old 05-02-12, 09:55 AM
msvphoto

Bikes: a lot... mostly vintage, one vintage made of plastic, er carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a painful climb!

Last Sunday we did a good chunk (50 miles) of the upcoming Strawberry Fields ride and on the way home, very tired at this point, a group of four young fast guys on featherweight carbon bikes cruised past us and one said "there are two people on that bike!" as they all smiled.

An aside, we have seen another tandem on the road now three weekend rides in a row.

Hope to meet you on the 20th Rick.
Old 05-02-12, 10:38 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
We don't hear this all that often, and when we do we usually just let it go, but on a long, hot climb this captain has been known to respond: "Bull****, she's the engine, I just steer."
Old 05-02-12, 10:42 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by diabloridr
"Bull****, she's the engine, I just steer."
I'll have to remember that response!
Old 05-02-12, 02:09 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It only because we have previously dropped those singles that enables them to pass us going up hills. I have responded late in a ride when passed by a commenting single that it took 50-60 miles for them to catch us!
Old 05-02-12, 09:56 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Our sometimes reply is: "she pedals, I steer", or 'she's my afterburner!'
Old 05-03-12, 03:17 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya!! ... The same happens to me and my better half on hill climbs and when Tandem riding in general from people walking, jogging in cars and other single cyclist.

when they say she is not peddling to us I always respond by saying to them and I (QUOTE) If I Don't Watch It She Will Pass Me, they look rather per-plexed as they go on there way. It is all in good fun I guess but single riders don't get it unless there Tandem riders there self or ride with other Tandem Teams. The general public is clueless and there stupity shows all the time, take a look at some of the ****ers out there on and using your local bike trails, enough said about that.

Thanks For The Share & Ride Safe,
Bill G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1218[1]..jpg (100.6 KB, 5 views)
IMG00096-20100717-1628..jpg (103.9 KB, 3 views)
Pic 1.jpg (45.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Bill G; 05-03-12 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 10:04 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
We did the ride in Chico also this year. First time for either of us to visit this town and we were pleasantly surprised at the beauty of the route. We did the 100 mile wildflower minus some shortcuts, which resulted in all of the 4300 feet of climbing of the century but just 72 miles total. We also received quite a few comments from singles passing us on the climbs, and I have to say they were almost universally positive and supportive. The only "she's not working very hard back there" comment we got was on the second big steep climb up to table mountain. My response: it's okay, I'm not really working very hard up here either.

As an aside, what are your favorite responses to the "she's not pedaling" comment?