Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What's the bcd for Giant Expressway 2 chainring?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-20-16, 01:52 PM
HandyBikesDC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, can anyone please verify the bcd for Giant Expressway 2 chainrings? I have a customer who needs a replacement, I don't have the bike available and am trying to research this before he returns from travel.

I think it is 130mm but would appreciate a sanity check...and any leads on where to purchase one that has the integrated guard like stock does.

Thank you!

Pete
Old 06-20-16, 02:29 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Pete, have you dealt with Giant parts before? Only reason I ask - they tend not to stock proprietary parts for very long. I had a friend who had a Giant Halfway folder that he needed some parts for, and he was told by Giant they no longer stocked or sourced them. The LBS where I hang out is a Giant dealer and confirms that parts availability is somewhere between scarce and non-existent, especially on older-model low production bikes like folders and recumbents.

Your best bet is to contact Giant directly, or a Giant dealer, and see if they can help you, if you need something like their proprietary chainguard. If it's not a wonky BCD, you might be able to replace just the chainring, but it is not an elegant fix.
Old 06-20-16, 02:50 PM
HandyBikesDC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not dealt with many folding bikes, no! If memory serves it's a standard bcd I just can't remember what that bcd was....... and I have successfully lost the paper I had it written down on

I found a chainring for Brompton's new version cranks which are a standard 130mm bcd -- which I think the ExpressWay is as well -- and DOES have the guard -- but need to verify before ordering and hoping to not have to sit on hold with Giant.
Old 06-20-16, 03:09 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if it is 130 and u need 53 or 56 give me shout , glad to help
thor
Old 06-20-16, 03:38 PM
HandyBikesDC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers Thor, thanks for that
Old 06-20-16, 05:54 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Un-scientifically looking at web pictures of Expressways, looks like 110bcd to me...with a plastic pants guard that screws onto the chainring.. might have to cobb something together if you want an OEM look ..

Old 06-22-16, 06:23 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree with Bruce, likely 110bcd. I went through this, it means upgrading the crankset to 130bcd in order to get a ring larger than ~52t. I went to 56t, and glad I did.

Upgrading the crankset is NOT entirely a bad thing, except for the additional wallet emptying.
Old 06-22-16, 09:04 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
Agree with Bruce, likely 110bcd. I went through this, it means upgrading the crankset to 130bcd in order to get a ring larger than ~52t. I went to 56t, and glad I did.

Upgrading the crankset is NOT entirely a bad thing, except for the additional wallet emptying.

actually that's not a bad idea. Not because I sell a complete crank with 53 teeth and alloy chainguard. The whole thing is under 900 grams and that's with much much better bottom bracket. Cost is very reasonable
Similar ones are available in many places. And it looks that the OP is a bike shop, he might have something similar around..... might have to switch chainrings ...

Usually manufacturers try to save a buck or two on the bottom bracket and that makes it heavy and maybe not quite as smooth than a better one. I like those Giant folding bikes, and it might be worthwhile to upgrade a little bit.
Old 06-22-16, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cannot measure sanity with a ruler , but you can use one to measure the bolt circle spacing.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Crank/Chainring Bolt Circle Diameter Crib Sheet
Old 06-23-16, 09:11 AM
HandyBikesDC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. We're a small pop-up repair outfit in DC and interestingly don't get many folding bikes in the door. This particular customer is unwilling to invest much money in to parts or repair so unlikely I can convince them to replace entire crankset/bb/rings. Thank you all again for your inputs!