Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do your “budget bike” builds go over budget?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-27-19, 12:10 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts

Am I the only one who buys a low-cost bike then invests two to three times its purchase price in upgrading it?

Case in point: an ‘81 Trek 400 for $100 even. Parts are low end so this turns out to be mostly a frame/fork/headset purchase. Everything else got swapped out - even the wheels! (The wheels, which were not bad at all, got donated to my uncle’s bike in need.)

My first project like this was my ‘79 Trek 700 frame. That one got ridiculous - but it’s also got a dynamo hub + Edelux light and Grand Bois rims and RAID brakes, etc., etc. etc. But I have ridden that more than any other bike so I don’t think it qualifies lipstick on a pig.

I’ve tried the twelve step plans, but I haven’t been able to limit myself to twelve bikes.

Not even going to try to make a New Year’s resolution...

Just keep wrenching and pedaling I guess...
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 12-27-19, 12:38 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Yes, it just kind of happens when you buy a bike for cheap as parts adds up. I usually sell the parts I replace to offset the additional cost.
Old 12-27-19, 01:06 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Yes Yes they do I am guilty , if I even think for a little bit the bike might be a keeper then things can go south in a short amount of time...

It really helps if I build bikes I have no intention of keeping .
Old 12-27-19, 01:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
If you had started with a worse frame than an early '80s Trek 400 series, then it would've been a lot easier to save money. Next time start with something like a Schwinn World with a dent in the top tube.
Old 12-27-19, 02:03 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I tend to go overboard on any project bike that I am using a lot.
I expend lots of labor, but no, I don't spend much, just try to complete the build with what I have in my used spare parts inventory.
I will sometimes go with new tires, brake pads, bearings, tape, hoods or chain, but I seldom use many other new parts.
Even cables/housing get cleaned up and cleaned out or replaced with good modern used ones in most cases, unlike modern bikes needing brand-new cable wires.
Old 12-27-19, 03:34 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
What is this budget of which you speak? Is it wrong to put 20.00 worth of handlebar wrap on a 20.00 Schwinn Voyager with a dented top tube?
Likes For bnewberry:
Old 12-27-19, 04:18 AM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
They always go over for me. Eventually I get to a point where I can stop spending and be OK with riding it but I always want to spend more. A better question is who sets or stays within their budget 🤔
Old 12-27-19, 05:01 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
I buy them to ride them. I upgrade to a better model in the correct size instead of upgrading components. Sometimes the frame size is near perfect, though, and that is a game changer. It does seem more difficult to keep within budget lately, since some of the best low-cost suppliers and deals are gone. Donor bikes have always been a big help for me. Amazing how valuable a $10 bike can be when you break it down into parts for another bike.
Old 12-27-19, 07:02 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Depends. I primarily buy framesets or with only a couple of components attached.
I can usually get a bike on the road cheaply.
Then come the 'upgrades'.
$50 for Rustines brake lever hoods for Universal.
$100 = new tubulars
$20 = nos shifter covers
$XX = a better saddle

You know - it's all the little things that get improved over time.
Good BF friends help control costs!
Old 12-27-19, 07:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
You're assuming we started with a budget. I usually have a rough idea of what I want to spend. Also I don't worry about budget on keepers, flips, yeah it matters
Old 12-27-19, 07:17 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts

I don't always spend more than a bike's worth when I fix one up but when I do I spare no expense LOL.
Old 12-27-19, 07:20 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
My goal on the $12 Hardrock Comp is $0.0
Just elbow grease and, well, grease.
Wish me luck
Old 12-27-19, 07:25 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

“Consumables” do start to add up... and then “extras” of which Wildwood speaks have a bigger impact. The bars and saddle are typically the biggest offenders, but those are “touch points” and I can easily rationalize those for all-day comfort.

I would try to say this is a parts “low cost parts bin build,” but then those parts made their way into the bin somehow...

I also typically have a specific goal in mind for each build: each bike typically has a specific purpose (but there are there are at least 50 shades of gray).

And what is this “flipping” thing people are referring to? Does that involve selling a bike??
Old 12-27-19, 07:28 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Wildwood
You know - it's all the little things that get improved over time.
Good BF friends enablers help control costs!
Fixed it for you. And amen!!
Old 12-27-19, 07:36 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Absolutely. But this is big kid Legos. I'll be shifting $700 of parts from a $150 Koga Miyata frame to a more suitable for touring $60 Canondale frame. The sunk cost is in the consumables. Which is why "free" bikes are rarely free. I hauled a couple dozen free or "budget bikes home last year. Four are keepers. To filter through the pile of raw material my collecting tendancys have provided, I've decided to focus my recources on good wheelsets. If the free bike performs on a $400 wheelset, then it may deserve to get a $200 paint job. If not it will either head it down the road as a rideable budget bike or transfered to our newly formed chop shop division.....

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-27-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-27-19, 07:37 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Really?

"Budget bike build"

Y'er killin' me, man, just killin' me!

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-27-19 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Welcome to the den of irrational rationalization....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-27-19, 07:45 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I spend very little on my bikes. I will buy bikes, part them out and keep the part or parts I am looking for. I reuse bartape, cables and housing, and rotate tires from bike to bike. I think I have bought two sets of brake pads in the last 10 years, just use whatever comes on the bike. I do buy chains. The modern chains are really good.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-27-19, 08:06 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Yes they do, My 2 Pro tours were supposed to be inexpensive rides but both took way too much to finish off. My Zunow could cost me a lot of money and who know what the Gugiefication of my Witcomb could cost when i finally finish it up.
Old 12-27-19, 08:30 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Am I the only one who buys a low-cost bike then invests two to three times its purchase price in upgrading it?

Case in point: an ‘81 Trek 400 for $100 even. Parts are low end so this turns out to be mostly a frame/fork/headset purchase. Everything else got swapped out - even the wheels! (The wheels, which were not bad at all, got donated to my uncle’s bike in need.)

My first project like this was my ‘79 Trek 700 frame. That one got ridiculous - but it’s also got a dynamo hub + Edelux light and Grand Bois rims and RAID brakes, etc., etc. etc. But I have ridden that more than any other bike so I don’t think it qualifies lipstick on a pig.

I’ve tried the twelve step plans, but I haven’t been able to limit myself to twelve bikes.

Not even going to try to make a New Year’s resolution...

Just keep wrenching and pedaling I guess...
@mountaindave, You are not alone! I go nuts on every bike I build. If its not perfect to my liking, it'll never leave the shop until it is.

Originally Posted by Murray Missile

I don't always spend more than a bike's worth when I fix one up but when I do I spare no expense LOL.
So true, MM. Typically, when I look at a bike, all I really see is the frame, and how much I want to spend for it, because I just know that I won't rest until its new and perfect inside and out. I got a fancy new camera, which I'm trying to learn, and as soon as I do, I will start a thread in here about the '78 Raleigh Carlton Competition GS I just bought. I'm already planning on going overboard with it!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-27-19, 08:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
If only. I usually have an idea what I want to do with the bike but no fixed budget in mind. I have started making an overview of what I am spending at least so I get a better feel for what I'm spending. Otherwise it's just a few months of spending money on a bike until it is done.

It helps that I have paid between €50 and €150 on all bikes that I've ever turned into a project. Most I ever spent on a bike after that however is probably in the €800+ range for the Batavus. But I built new fancy wheels for it and upgraded various bits to turn it into one of my favourite builds

Last edited by JaccoW; 12-27-19 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-27-19, 09:42 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

One thing that I can’t really put a price on is the value of “bike therapy.” I’ve been able to build some wheels recently in brief free moments, but this Xmas break is the first time since October that I’ve had a large amount of time to putter creatively with a bike and it’s been heaven!

I love my family and in-laws, but it’s nice to have some “me time” again.
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 12-27-19, 09:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I don't set budgets for bikes. Sometimes when I'm done I find I've spent more than I would like. I guess in the middle of it, I progress with intuition.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-19, 10:35 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Budgets are relative. Also depends on usage. If you invest a lot and ride a lot, then the budget might be reasonable or even a bargain. Just remember to ride as much as possible!
Old 12-27-19, 10:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Well, this is why the annual BF Velo Cheapo contests are fun and challenging.

I’m currently working on a late 70s Raleigh Grand Prix that was basically given to me as a frameset plus some original parts because the fork was bent. It’s too small to be a keeper, so my intent has been to keep it cheap, and sell it for cheap or give it away. I tried straightening the fork, but it was too far gone. I found a replacement fork in my stash that I must have bought new at some point, but sunk costs and all that, I figured it would work for this project. Well, next wrinkle is that fork has the dreaded .833” steerer (I have a vague memory of removing it from or buying it for a 70s Schwinn). Lo and behold, I have a .833 stem in the bin. Next challenge are wheels. This frame was made for 27” and I have lots of Weinmann 610 cp brakes in the bin, but no decent 27” rear wheels, only a front. Hmm. Then, I remembered I have a 27” Sun CR18 rim that I also bought years back for some project that never happened (more sunk costs), and saw somewhere that I could get a single-speed, coaster-brake hub for less than $15 shipped on eBay. Done! Hub arrives after a few weeks (it was literally on the slow boat from China), a few weeks later I go to build the wheel (yes, I had the right length spokes in the bin), and I realize that the hub us 32-hole and the rim 36. Hmm. I did check the order and saw the mistake was theirs, not mine, but re-lo and behold, I have a 32-hole 700c Sun CR18 rim in the bin! With a coaster brake on the rear and reasonably matching tires (which I have in the bin), I can run two different wheel sizes, right? I build up that wheel with spokes in hand, but when I go to true it up, about a half dozen nipples pop off of their threading, Argh! I go to eBay and order 32 new spokes and nipples from the next slow boat from China.

Well, that’s all worked out, so now I just have to deal with the bottom bracket and crankset. It came to me with its original cottered steel boat anchor crank, and I have a decent single speed crank and cartridge BB that came in some sort of trade with a BFer. I get the original set out ( no need to drill the cotters—victory!) and go to install the cartridge unit. Drive side goes in though somewhat reluctantly. NDS threads about a 1/4” in and stops. Ugh. The BB threads are just too shallow for this particular cup. I try about nine other fixed cups, both cartridge and cup/cone that are in my bin, but it’s a no go. About a week or so ago, I ordered a BB tap/chasing tool to get the job done. With luck I’ll be finished with the build by spring.

Yeah, budget build.
Old 12-27-19, 10:51 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I'm a sucker for a $20 bike with $60 worth of new tires. So yes, I usually overlook all the other borked stuff and end up investing more than planned. Its therapy for me, so I'm not complaining...
Likes For curbtender:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.