Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex QR Skewers with extra springs

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-04-20, 01:15 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts

So, I have these skewers which came together with the wheels on a 70's Peugeot PR10. They look like the ones in the pictures below (pics from ebay).
When I took the skewers apart, I found an extra spring inside of each cam lever body. The springs are exactly the same as any conical springs found on a QR skewer. I had never seen these extra springs in a lever body so I thought that someone has just added them at some point.

So the question is whether those extra springs do belong there or if it was just a modification.

Last edited by alexnagui; 01-04-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-04-20, 02:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
I'd clean 'em up, apply a little grease before replacing one spring, reassemble, and test.
Old 01-04-20, 02:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Those are just there to help the lever hold it's position while open. Otherwise, the lever flops this way and that as you work on your puncture, so time is lost half the time when reinstalling the wheel.
Old 01-05-20, 03:05 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Those are just there to help the lever hold it's position while open. Otherwise, the lever flops this way and that as you work on your puncture, so time is lost half the time when reinstalling the wheel.
Yes, you're right! The spring helps to hold the lever open even though that the spring is not that stiff so it's not that noticable. I was just wondering if it was the original design. In the end, I decided to leave those springs there.
Old 01-05-20, 03:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
I haven't encountered any of those Simplex skewers since they were OEM equipment on Peugeots, but I have a vague recollection that there should be another, much smaller spring inserted at the other end of the skewer between the threaded steel nut and the plastic wingnut. Assuming that I'm remembering correctly and didn't dream it up, the spring was meant to keep the plastic piece from backing off of the metal piece.