Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 ALAN Record Ergal build And Post your ALAN Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 04:47 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

So I finally finished A bike, This AlAn was built from a used frameset and most of the major components from my ill fated "Rusty Raleigh Pro" project, the less said about that project the better. So in an effort to not bore you to death with one of my OCD builds let's just skip to the completed bike.

I name most of my builds so let me introduce you to Hattori Hanzo a 1989 Alan Record Ergal built with full Dura-Ace 7703 triple components with the exception of the hubs which are large flange SunXCD. In the spirit of Nuovo Record I modified a set of pre CPSC Nuovo skewers to work with the 130mm spacing. The Rims are 36 hole Ambrosio Excellence and the wheels were built by Jet Bicycle Wheels in San Diego using stainless Wheelsmith butted spokes and brass nipples, the spokes are tied and soldered for old school appeal.
Other Dura-Ace bits are the 7400 aero seat post, the 7410 headset, 7700 downtube shifters and the first generation M-100 Dura-Ace levers. the Italian content is the 2nd generation 3TTT Record stem and 3TTT Superleggero Merckx bend bars. The seat is a Selle Anatomica and the chain is a hollow pin KMC with titanium nitride plating.
The issues with the build were the condition of the internal seat tube that at one time had a stuck seatpost, that had to be fixed by reaming .010 oversize to get the surface acceptable and making a .005 CDA 260 alloy 1/2 hard shim to make up the clearance, while I was at it I made my own seat bolt. The only other work out of the ordinary was the ledge on the derailleur mount that the the "B" screw lands on was extremely short this required making a new "B" screw with a shaped head to catch the short ledge, otherwise assembly was smooth sailing.
Now onto the photos.

: Mike
Old 12-30-19, 05:31 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Lovely bicycle!

My only Alan is just a fork. (No, I don't think I'll use it for the start of a build)

Anyone looking for one of these with a long steerer?

[
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-30-19, 05:34 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
So I finally finished A bike, This AlAn was built from a used frameset and most of the major components from my ill fated "Rusty Raleigh Pro" project, the less said about that project the better. So in an effort to not bore you to death with one of my OCD builds let's just skip to the completed bike.

I name most of my builds so let me introduce you to Hattori Hanzo a 1989 Alan Record Ergal built with full Dura-Ace 7703 triple components with the exception of the hubs which are large flange SunXCD. In the spirit of Nuovo Record I modified a set of pre CPSC Nuovo skewers to work with the 130mm spacing. The Rims are 36 hole Ambrosio Excellence and the wheels were built by Jet Bicycle Wheels in San Diego using stainless Wheelsmith butted spokes and brass nipples, the spokes are tied and soldered for old school appeal.
Other Dura-Ace bits are the 7400 aero seat post, the 7410 headset, 7700 downtube shifters and the first generation M-100 Dura-Ace levers. the Italian content is the 2nd generation 3TTT Record stem and 3TTT Superleggero Merckx bend bars. The seat is a Selle Anatomica and the chain is a hollow pin KMC with titanium nitride plating.
The issues with the build were the condition of the internal seat tube that at one time had a stuck seatpost, that had to be fixed by reaming .010 oversize to get the surface acceptable and making a .005 CDA 260 alloy 1/2 hard shim to make up the clearance, while I was at it I made my own seat bolt. The only other work out of the ordinary was the ledge on the derailleur mount that the the "B" screw lands on was extremely short this required making a new "B" screw with a shaped head to catch the short ledge, otherwise assembly was smooth sailing.
Now onto the photos.

Mike,
That is very one very tasty ALAN....are you going to put any decals on it or leave it as is, BTW what's the gearing on it?
Either way, it's quite fine!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-30-19, 05:35 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Lovely bicycle!

My only Alan is just a fork. (No, I don't think I'll use it for the start of a build)

Anyone looking for one of these with a long steerer?

[
LC, Everyone starts somewhere!
Ben
Old 12-30-19, 05:50 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I like it!

Only questionable choice are the tied and soldered spokes. A bit over the top but surely makes for conversation.

Reminds me of my Teledyne build.
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 12-30-19, 06:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
Very pretty Alan! I like the "black & white" color scheme.

It also reminds me I have to get my own Alan back on the road.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-30-19, 06:20 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Nice build!
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 12-30-19, 06:31 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by crank_addict
I like it!

Only questionable choice are the tied and soldered spokes. A bit over the top but surely makes for conversation.

Reminds me of my Teledyne build.
Your Alpine Teledyne was inspirational in this build, I consider that a big complement .
Old 12-30-19, 06:45 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Mike,
That is very one very tasty ALAN....are you going to put any decals on it or leave it as is, BTW what's the gearing on it?
Either way, it's quite fine!
Best, Ben
Hi Ben,
Decals are unknown at this point, it was peeled when I got it so it could be branded as ???, so I'm undecided at the moment. This is what the gearing looks like.

Old 12-30-19, 07:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hi Ben,
Decals are unknown at this point, it was peeled when I got it so it could be branded as ???, so I'm undecided at the moment. This is what the gearing looks like.

Mike,
I have one that has been waiting in the queue for a while that is why I was asking...you are right it could be a Colnago Alan or Guercioti..Alan did a lot of outsourcing of frames for rebranding...come to think of it mine could be a "Colnago" because it came to me sans decals. (no flames please)
I like the all-aluminum but also like the colored lettering...I am going to add a pinstripe to mine too.
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-30-19 at 07:08 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-30-19, 07:07 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 12-30-19, 09:58 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts

Not an Ergal, but an 86 Carbonio. One if my favorite builds and best ever handling bike, so far.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 12-31-19, 08:43 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Mine is a Record badged as a Guerciotti. Various bits of 7400-7403.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 12-31-19, 10:46 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I really liked my ALAN but, as is often the case, when something new shows up, something already in the shed needs to go. Anyway, my ALAN lives elsewhere but I liked the bike a great deal more than my very similar Vitus...
Old 12-31-19, 03:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Looks like top506 beat me to it with the ALAN-as-Guerciotti Record, near same size even.

Likes For dddd: