Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 01:13 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Maybelater
I was refused service at MacDonald's
You say that like its a bad thing.
Old 06-19-18, 02:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
What is worse than a bike snob?
A food snob; even worse is a bicycling snowflake who expects the world to recognize just how special he is, and is also a food snob.
Old 06-19-18, 02:40 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What is worse than a bike snob?
A food snob; even worse is a bicycling snowflake who expects the world to recognize just how special he is, and is also a food snob.
Yeah, it's amazing how much pride some people seem to take from not eating at places like McDonald's.
Old 06-19-18, 02:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Yeah, it's amazing how much pride some people seem to take from not eating at places like McDonald's.
See nothing wrong with taking pride in not eating food that tastes bad. And looks bad as well.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-19-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 02:42 PM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They did you a favor.
Old 06-19-18, 02:45 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by indyfabz
See nothing wrong with taking pride in not eating food that tastes bad.
Really? What exactly did you accomplish by not eating at McDonald's? Was it an extremely difficult effort to avoid it? What about going somewhere else was so magnificent that you needed to announce this 'achievement' to the world?
Old 06-19-18, 03:02 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
You say that like its a bad thing.

Old 06-19-18, 03:38 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I went into McDonald's for lunch today and they told me to get out. They said I didn't deserve a break today!

Old 06-19-18, 04:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
See nothing wrong with taking pride in not eating food that tastes bad. And looks bad as well.
I suppose I should take "pride" in not listening to the music genres that other BF posters seem to like based on what they post on threads in Foo and elsewhere on BF.

Would bragging about it make me as special as someone who takes pride in his delusions about his superior taste buds and eye for attractive food display?
Old 06-19-18, 04:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I went into McDonald's for lunch today and they told me to get out. They said I didn't deserve a break today!
Trivia:

McDonalds was one of the first companies to do focus groups. They asked how McDonald's made people feel. Housewives said that they enjoyed the break from cooking, cleaning and dishes. This led to "You deserve a break today" advertising campaign.

-Tim-
Old 06-19-18, 05:02 PM
65Marinoni

Bikes: 65cm Marinoni ,Trek Ion Cx 61 cm , Trek 2.3 ( false 64cm... )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try krispy kreme drive thru .
Old 06-19-18, 05:09 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I suppose I should take "pride" in not listening to the music genres that other BF posters seem to like based on what they post on threads in Foo and elsewhere on BF.

Would bragging about it make me as special as someone who takes pride in his delusions about his superior taste buds and eye for attractive food display?
I like the way you think. So true, so true.
Old 06-19-18, 05:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
McDonald doesn't even sell real food...Why would anybody eat something that only looks like food but is not actually food.
Old 06-19-18, 05:42 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

I can't get no respect.
Old 06-19-18, 05:59 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
McDonald doesn't even sell real food...Why would anybody eat something that only looks like food but is not actually food.
I'm having 2 baloney & cheese sandwiches for dinner this evening.

... and peanut M&M's for dessert.
Old 06-19-18, 06:35 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I gotta say, one of my favorite meals is 2 cheesburgers, fries and a coke at McDonald's. I have it maybe 3 or 4 times a year (I almost never eat fast food) and usually as a treat for myself for doing something like on the way home from a big ride or something. Freakin' delicious!
Old 06-19-18, 07:02 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I ate a Quarter Pounder and small fries yesterday. I walked in.

Just felt like saying that.
I like McDonalds, the Big Mac most of all, but I haven't had one in years. The one nearby isn't very good
Old 06-19-18, 07:10 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
See nothing wrong with taking pride in not eating food that tastes bad.
What??! Have you never had a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

Old 06-19-18, 07:12 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Next time record the whole incident on your cellphone and post it to FB.

Go to Twitter and post under #CLM

IF your are a senior citizen post under #SLM/CLM

Good luck.
Old 06-19-18, 07:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well, I'm a vegetarian so the food issue at McD's is sort of out for me. Once upon a time they had a veggie burger but discontinued it though they did have fresh salads if I wanted. But I have to give them thumbs up props for saving my sanity over the years raising three kids during long dark rainy winters where, for the price of a coffee, I could turn them loose in the play park for hours until they were exhausted. We parents would meet up there and have a good social visit at the same time. They also always ponied up lots of freebies like gift coupons and containers of beverages for scouting events when I was a leader.

Oddly, I was raised on McD's, fish sticks, SPAM, hotdogs and Koolaid and grew up big and strong anyway. Probably because we also had to run around outside a lot. Sure I'm more food conscious now but the people these days I see zealously obsessing over food quality and origins tend to always be sickly in comparison.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-19-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 07:57 PM
OBoile

That seems like an odd thing to say... the last time I had a burger there it felt pretty real to me.
Old 06-19-18, 08:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I eat food because I have to. McDs is fast, cheap, and fills me up. Don't really care to waste my time or money on higher scale dining options on a regular basis, I'm quite fine with basic foods, McDs included. I can guarantee you the pad thai for $6 or so bucks I regularly eat at the place down the road from work is in no way healthier.

I'd probably ridicule your beer choices, too, though.
Old 06-19-18, 08:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Why I don't do McDonalds.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/commu...ale/611416002/
Old 06-20-18, 03:54 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
License plates reveal a lot more information than a picture of a partially obscured face. And, as mentioned numerous times, me pulling a gun and grabbing an employee through a window is far easier with me standing there than me trying to do it out of a car window.,,,
Hypothetically, all of the scenarios ( both yours and mine are possible ) so really no use in arguing over minute possibilites. I've heard of people in cars actually trying to steal out of the till by going thru the opened window of the drive thru ( if unattended ). Not really sure which would be more useful ( car or bike ) but if the robber is on a bike I would consider it a possibility that if there was a car behind the guy on the bike with a gun in his hand ( or no gun but reaching thru the window ).. that the person in the car who is watching the robbery from behind might be bold enough to run the person down. Nope, if I was to rob a McD's I'd do it the old fashion way. Wait till the inside is almost empty and just run inside with a hoodie and facemask and then run like hell with my car waiting on a nearby road ( where hopefully there are no cameras )....that's the thing though, cameras at so many intersections nowadays.

Of course there are ways to prevent robberies at drive thru windows. I see places that use bulletproof glass and slide boxes to exchange money and products. Banks do it, some convenience stores as well as some of the places selling Chinese food in some of the more dangerous neighborhoods where I work.

Reductio ad absurdum generally indicates no valid argument to the point being made. Everyone here knows what "invisible" WRT cyclists means.
I know what "invisible" means so I'll not argue on how someone else might choose to define it. Not into slang so sorry, don't know what "WRT" is suppose to mean. Doesn't matter. I don't subscribe to any various form of being invisible that might pertain to someone being on a bike. If I did I would never ride a bike on the road. Of course if someone is on a bike in complete darkness with no lights on their bike and no ambient light in the area than that might make someone on a bike invisible but under those conditions anything or anyone would be invisible so basically a moot point.

A guard isn't doing much for a cyclist out back of the store by the drive thru menu, he is a deterrent for inside the store, where pedestrians and cyclists should be. Surely you can see the difference in protection between an enclosed vehicle with locked doors and the ability to quickly get away and you sitting on a bike.
Absolutely!....this also means that someone who wants to rob someone outside the store might just as well pick someone walking out the store or sitting in a parked car with the window down. If you are in a parked car you are somewhat trapped. If you're smart in that scenario you'd hand over the cash and hope like hell they don't decide to carjack your car. Meh...if I'm the guy doing the robbery I'd leave the guy on the bike alone since he might not have much money on him...Nope, I'd go with the old guy about to get into his Mercedes and take the car to boot. ( )
Old 06-20-18, 06:24 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Maybelater
I was out riding tonight on my single speed and didn't plan on any stops so I left my lock at home. I rode by a McDonalds and thought a ice cream would be nice. I couldn't risk leaving my bike unattended so I tried to order at the drive up speaker. I was refused service because my bike is not considered a motor vehicle. I explained that I couldn't leave my bike outside without a lock. They didn't care so I spoke to their manager and got the same answer. Apparently they don't like ride up customers or grumpy old men on bikes. I suggested they don't want my business and was told they don't want my business. So much for that relaxing ride. Am I being hypersensitive or is their corporate policy a few fries short of a happy meal?
I agree with you, they are a few fries short of a happy meal.

But, I have had a few bikes swiped over the years. and I think you are a few spokes shy of a full wheel build for not carrying a lock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.