Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in 90*+ weather.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in 90*+ weather.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 08:37 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I knew I had messed up but I was not close to any water source, home, store, etc, and at the time I just needed to lower my head and clear my head. The additional mistake was when I was back on my feet and walking back toward home a neighbor with a pickup stopped to see if I was OK, offered a ride and my ego said no thanks, I am fine.
I am looking at the air pump taking up a spot where a second water bottle could be mounted. Luckly our Fall is comming soon and this humidity should come down.
Thanks gain all, Frank.
Old 08-31-18, 04:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
Yes, have at least two bottles with you on your ride. And if possible, know where, along your route, you can get more.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-01-18, 06:50 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
not sure if this has been suggested but when taking your BP after exercise you are supposed to wait about 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 09-01-18, 09:10 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214
not sure if this has been suggested but when taking your BP after exercise you are supposed to wait about 45 minutes to an hour.
Unless you want to know your exercise BP.(which systolic could go as high as 200) or how fast your blood pressure return to normal after exercising.
Old 09-01-18, 09:25 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

I took my BP about 3 hours later. I wanted to get my core temp back to normal so I sat in our dinette and allowed the AC and fluids to help me normalize. Took a shower and then took the BP.
Frank.
Old 09-01-18, 11:00 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Unless you want to know your exercise BP.(which systolic could go as high as 200) or how fast your blood pressure return to normal after exercising.

ok, yes but I was just pointing out if you DO take your BP right after it's not your normal bp reading, that's all
rob
Old 09-01-18, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
is good for you, but don't get dehydrated like that. The more you do it, the stronger and fitter you'll get. One bottle to one liter/hour is decent fluid consumption in hot weather. Make sure you have that capability. Watch your forearms. Don't let them get dry. A heart rate monitor is a good tool. If your HR gets unusually high for the effort, you're dehydrated. If you do get dehydrated, find a water source with shade. Sit and drink until you pee.
Old 09-01-18, 04:27 PM
Helderberg

Thanks again to all for your responses.
Frank.
Old 09-01-18, 06:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've added a stainless steel double wall insulated thermos that fits my bottle cages. It'll keep water/electrolytes cold for hours even in summer daytime heat. Very handy on long rural rides where it may be 5-10 miles between opportunities to refill or buy a drink. It's heavy but worth the extra weight in the heat.

If I fill the stainless bottle halfway with concentrated electrolyte/water mix and freeze it, the frozen bit will stay cold for 8-12 hours depending on outside temperature. I just top up with plain water at every opportunity. If I freeze just plain water it'll stay cold about 4-6 hours. Apparently the electrolytes keep the water frozen longer.

I also have a collapsible Mylar water bag that I freeze and keep in my jersey pocket. Keeps me cool for awhile just sitting against my back. Then when it melts I use it to wet my head and skin.

There are mini-pump frame holders that mount under a water bottle cage, so no need to give up one or the other. My mini-pumps (Topeak RaceRocket HP, Blackburn Core Slim) need 200-300 strokes to fill my hybrid or skinny road bike tires, but it's not hard effort, just takes patience compared with my older Zefal full length frame pump. And I'm planning to get CO2 for days when I don't feel like messing with pumps -- especially since I'm still recovering from a shoulder injury that limits my right arm strength and flexibility. CO2 would be much less physically stressful on hot days too.
Old 09-01-18, 06:16 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by canklecat
I've added a stainless steel double wall insulated thermos that fits my bottle cages. It'll keep water/electrolytes cold for hours even in summer daytime heat. Very handy on long rural rides where it may be 5-10 miles between opportunities to refill or buy a drink. It's heavy but worth the extra weight in the heat.

If I fill the stainless bottle halfway with concentrated electrolyte/water mix and freeze it, the frozen bit will stay cold for 8-12 hours depending on outside temperature. I just top up with plain water at every opportunity. If I freeze just plain water it'll stay cold about 4-6 hours. Apparently the electrolytes keep the water frozen longer.

I also have a collapsible Mylar water bag that I freeze and keep in my jersey pocket. Keeps me cool for awhile just sitting against my back. Then when it melts I use it to wet my head and skin.

There are mini-pump frame holders that mount under a water bottle cage, so no need to give up one or the other. My mini-pumps (Topeak RaceRocket HP, Blackburn Core Slim) need 200-300 strokes to fill my hybrid or skinny road bike tires, but it's not hard effort, just takes patience compared with my older Zefal full length frame pump. And I'm planning to get CO2 for days when I don't feel like messing with pumps -- especially since I'm still recovering from a shoulder injury that limits my right arm strength and flexibility. CO2 would be much less physically stressful on hot days too.
Well salt do lower the freezing point of water to -17C so yeah, it will stay frozen longer.

Btw, that's how you make ice cream. You put cream (and other stuff) in the creamer where its wall are kept frozen with a mix of salt, water and ice cube. By scraping the inside on the creamer, you end up with ice cream
Old 09-01-18, 06:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I seem to recall Doc Isotope mentioning that trick a year or so ago, comparing it to making ice cream. Made sense. I remember spending a lot of summers hand-cranking ice cream makers at my grandparents' home years ago.

Tried it on my plastic bottles and it seemed to keep them cold longer last summer. But with the insulated stainless bottle there's a significant difference. The concentrated electrolytes will stay frozen almost too long. Sometimes I'd prefer the electrolyte ice would melt sooner and diffuse into the water.

I took that stainless bottle, half filled with frozen electrolytes, out of the freezer at 5 am today for a bus ride to the doctor's office for an ultrasound. Then I stopped at a friend's home to pick up a bike he was holding for me so I could ride the 12 miles home -- the temp was nearly 100. I refilled it with warm water from the MUP trailside rest stop about halfway home. Then I took a nap. The frozen stuff finally thawed by 5 pm, but was still ice cold.
Old 09-01-18, 06:32 PM
SylvainG

Might be a stupid question but how to you drink out of a steel bottle while riding? Obviously you can't squeeze it (can you?).
Old 09-02-18, 07:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
Might be a stupid question but how to you drink out of a steel bottle while riding? Obviously you can't squeeze it (can you?).
Some of them have tops with a valve, so you can suck on it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 05:50 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Geez Louise . . . . take top off bottle and drink!
Old 09-17-18, 05:57 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Only if you're The Six Million Dollar Man.
Old 09-17-18, 06:53 PM
SylvainG

I bought a Stainless Camelbak 53892 Eddy Vacuum bottle. In 30C temperature this weekend, even after 4 hours (3 of them riding), still had lots of ice in the bottle. Only issue is my bottle cage is aluminum so its metal against metal which scratches the bottle and rattles a bit.
Old 09-18-18, 09:39 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you all for your responses. I knew I had messed up but I was not close to any water source, home, store, etc, and at the time I just needed to lower my head and clear my head. The additional mistake was when I was back on my feet and walking back toward home a neighbor with a pickup stopped to see if I was OK, offered a ride and my ego said no thanks, I am fine.
I am looking at the air pump taking up a spot where a second water bottle could be mounted. Luckly our Fall is comming soon and this humidity should come down.
Thanks gain all, Frank.
My wife has small bike frame so only one cage will fit. She drinks a lot more water than I so I put this on her handlebar. I would suggest this or something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SOROKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-18-18, 03:30 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
My wife has small bike frame so only one cage will fit. She drinks a lot more water than I so I put this on her handlebar. I would suggest this or something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is a great idea. Thanks.
Frank.