Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Nice Drivetrain!!!!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Nice Drivetrain!!!!

Old 11-18-18, 11:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Come on man, this is a commuting forum.
What does that have to do with anything? If roads like the one in the video are a source of trouble, I don't know what to tell you. We have double the number of paved miles in California than you do in all of Great Britain. Many of them are very, very, very bad. There's a road less than 2 miles from my house that has, due to its construction and condition, been responsible for the deaths of dozens of cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers. They recently added a section of bike lane about 1/2 mile long after yet another cyclist was killed. A cyclist died further up that same road just last year. No bike lane there yet. I still ride that street regularly. Often several times a week.

Two minute video, 4 oncoming cars, zero passes. But yeah, your pavement looks a little rough.
Old 11-18-18, 12:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
The other possibility is to get extremely lucky with your setup and end up with a vertical-dropout-equipped singlespeed that uses a "magic gear." This term refers to a gear combination/chain length that has the chain properly tensioned without use of a chain tensioner on a singlespeed with vertical rear dropouts.
The biggest problem with " magic gear " is that after a few rides the chain stretches and it becomes loose and there is no way to get it tight again, it's a very poor solution which doesn't last very long in real life...Personally I prefer frames with rear track-ends or horizontal dropouts or sliding dropouts, those are essential if running fixed gears...I also have one MTB which I converted to singlespeed with chain tensioner. The tensioner which I use isn't spring loaded but it bolts to the axle and hanger, it's been a very solid set up which has never let me down.
Old 11-18-18, 12:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
"Worst road surface in Britain."

The street I live on looks significantly worse than anything in that video.

And this isn't even as bad as it gets:
No problem for somebody who rides a MTB.
Old 11-18-18, 12:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No problem for somebody who rides a MTB.
As long as they don't have Gatorskins, which apparently (at least in England) are made of tissue paper or something equally fragile.
Old 11-18-18, 03:30 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
What does that have to do with anything? If roads like the one in the video are a source of trouble, I don't know what to tell you. We have double the number of paved miles in California than you do in all of Great Britain. Many of them are very, very, very bad. There's a road less than 2 miles from my house that has, due to its construction and condition, been responsible for the deaths of dozens of cyclists, pedestrians, and drivers. They recently added a section of bike lane about 1/2 mile long after yet another cyclist was killed. A cyclist died further up that same road just last year. No bike lane there yet. I still ride that street regularly. Often several times a week.

Two minute video, 4 oncoming cars, zero passes. But yeah, your pavement looks a little rough.
We have a hell of a lot more traffic density in the SE UK than you do in CA!
Old 11-18-18, 03:41 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The biggest problem with " magic gear " is that after a few rides the chain stretches and it becomes loose and there is no way to get it tight again, it's a very poor solution which doesn't last very long in real life...Personally I prefer frames with rear track-ends or horizontal dropouts or sliding dropouts, those are essential if running fixed gears...I also have one MTB which I converted to singlespeed with chain tensioner. The tensioner which I use isn't spring loaded but it bolts to the axle and hanger, it's been a very solid set up which has never let me down.
I agree that a "magic gear" setup is not really a good solution. From what I've seen, it's usually a result of a lot of trial and error with various gear combos to try and find one that will allow a tensioned chain, and the actual ideal gear ratio the rider is looking for becomes secondary. Not good, a kludge.

The day before an endurance mountain bike race several years ago, one of the riders on our team decided he wanted to do the race in the singlespeed category. He threw together a singespeed drivetrain on his mountain bike (which of course had vertical dropouts), played around with some different cog sizes, and found one that was a "magic gear." Problem was, the "magic gear" was so silly-high for this particular race course that he ended up having to hike-a-bike up a lot of very long and steep hills that day.