Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pacific Cycles BSO's are engineered by idiots.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pacific Cycles BSO's are engineered by idiots.

Old 01-20-19, 06:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Pacific Cycles engineers had nothing to do with the design of the crank
Old 01-20-19, 09:44 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Pacific Cycles engineers had nothing to do with the design of the crank
+1

As far as I know, the left-left, right-right design for pedal threads was a Wright Bros idea (they were in the bicycle business along with being tinkerers with things that fly). I believe they may have even patented it (?). Regardless, those guys were not idiots. The little bit of reading I've done on their idea to use reverse threading for the left pedal was based on the fact that, with right-hand threading on both pedals, the left pedal on bicycles often loosened up and came off.

They made a simple observation and came up with a simple solution that is still in use today.
Old 01-20-19, 07:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Whatever it was, it's an American thing and you aren't using an Allen wrench to attach a pedal.
Old 01-20-19, 08:21 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I always thought that the left side/right side pedal threading was also done so that if the pedal bearings seized, the pedal would unscrew from the crankarm rather than breaking your ankle or leg.

Is this just folklore? Urban legend? Reading comprehension problem on my part?
Old 01-20-19, 08:25 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Gecko77
Wait, so the left side pedal is tightened clockwise?
No, I think the OP misunderstood the reason for left-hand thread, in the original post.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-22-19, 01:42 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Whatever it was, it's an American thing and you aren't using an Allen wrench to attach a pedal.
Huh? I use an Allen wrench to attach a pedal (well, actually a hex socket in a ratchet).

scott s.
Old 01-22-19, 04:09 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
I always thought that the left side/right side pedal threading was also done so that if the pedal bearings seized, the pedal would unscrew from the crankarm rather than breaking your ankle or leg.

Is this just folklore? Urban legend? Reading comprehension problem on my part?
I think that's more of a happy coincidence.

While it may be technically possible, that'd be such a rare event as to be entirely unimportant in the overall scale of things.

Taking the anecdotal approach, I've never experienced, read or heard of anyone having a pedal seize solid while riding.
What usually happens is that the bearing balls are ground to shrapnel, then you're stuck with what's basically a big, poorly lubed glide bearing with a HUGE amount of slop/play.
Taking the analytical approach, now we're looking at a big, poorly lubed glide bearing with a HUGE amount of slop/play. And it's doing maybe 100 rpm, tops. Going from there to seizing solid is quite a challenge.
Continuing the analytical approach:
While wrestling with stuck pedals, I've cracked an Allen keyed pedal axle, shattered an adjustable wrench, and bent the jaws of a regular wrench open.
Given that my ankle is likely to be stronger than my wrist, and that any ball bearing fragments lodging between pedal axle and housing are hugely unlikely to engage as strongly as the intended tool interfaces, I'm really struggling to see how a pedal would be able to seize badly enough to do any direct damage to the rider.
It might do some secondary damage by allowing the foot to roll off the pedal and whacking the rider on the calf though.

Pedalso loosening due to precession/threadwalk is a far more credible/ "real" issue to avoid.