Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10t Cassette Cog Conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-27-19, 01:50 AM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find the simplest, most economical way to add a 10t rear cog onto a mountain bike. I understand a good deal of this may well have to do with hub compatibility, something I don't know beans about, so please bare with me and I'll try my best not to sound like a flubbering idiot. The wheel in question consists of the following hub (quoted from website): "forged alloy, quad sealed cartridge bearings, alloy axle, 12x148mm, 6-bolt disc, 32H, Shimano Standard Freehub Body" and the cassette is a SunRace 11spd 11-46t. I've read about the Oneup Shark but it seems like it requires a specific hub as well as a Shimano cassette. So from here I'm guessing the next cheapest option would be to just replace the entire cassette? I found a SunRace 10-50t online but I'm still trying to figure out if it will work with the hub I've got. I seem to recall someone at some point telling me that any cassette w a 10 cog will require some kind of fancy hub. Can anyone offer any insight to this? Would be much appreciated.
Old 01-27-19, 02:00 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Maybe not so much the hub, but the derailleur capacity?
Jon
Old 01-27-19, 05:18 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 471 Posts
Any cassette with a 10t cog will require a SRAM XD driiver freehub body. https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...xd-driver-body
Old 01-27-19, 08:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Ya, you cannot put on a 10t cog on standard Shimano freehub.
Old 01-27-19, 09:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
The outside diameter of your cassette cog can't be smaller than the inside diameter that slides onto the free hub body. Shimano Caprio hub maybe?
Old 01-27-19, 10:49 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
SRAM came up with the XD driver hub a few years ago so that 1x mountain bikes could be used with a 10t cog on the high end of the gear range, which adds several gear inches to the highest gear. The 10-50 Sunrace cassette you reference will only work with an XD hub. The good news is that wheels using that hub standard have become much more common the past couple of years, and the price has trickled down providing more affordable options than when the standard was first introduced. If you are going to stick with a conventional Shimano/SRAM freehub, you will be limited to 11t as the smallest cog available.
Old 01-27-19, 02:15 PM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. So now moving forward my inquiries turn to hubs/wheel building- if I have to buy a new hub I pretty much am going to have to build a whole new wheel, right? Any recommendations on where to do this? (I live in Los Angeles if it matters). I've heard good things about Fanatik and am looking at them now. I know the list is short, but are there any hubs out there that are XD convertible that are on the quieter side? DT Swiss 350s seem like a sound choice but I just want to make sure I'm able to get the 10 on there. I found a DT Swiss XD Freehub body that seems like it would do the job. As long as the brand of hub you have makes a corresponding XD converter that should put you in the clear right? Thanks again.
Old 01-27-19, 10:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by hoovbikes
Thanks for the clarification. So now moving forward my inquiries turn to hubs/wheel building- if I have to buy a new hub I pretty much am going to have to build a whole new wheel, right? Any recommendations on where to do this? (I live in Los Angeles if it matters). I've heard good things about Fanatik and am looking at them now. I know the list is short, but are there any hubs out there that are XD convertible that are on the quieter side? DT Swiss 350s seem like a sound choice but I just want to make sure I'm able to get the 10 on there. I found a DT Swiss XD Freehub body that seems like it would do the job. As long as the brand of hub you have makes a corresponding XD converter that should put you in the clear right? Thanks again.
If it's a normal spoked wheel, it's possible to unlace the old wheel and transplant the spokes and rim. I've done that many times- but then I've been building my own wheels for 35 years. If you're working with a professional wheelbuilder, they will probably prefer to use all new spokes just to insure that everything is a known quantity

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-27-19, 10:59 PM
hoovbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
If it's a normal spoked wheel, it's possible to unlace the old wheel and transplant the spokes and rim. I've done that many times- but then I've been building my own wheels for 35 years. If you're working with a professional wheelbuilder, they will probably prefer to use all new spokes just to insure that everything is a known quantity
Yes I know reusing spokes has it's advocates and opponents. Given that I don't really know anyone I could ask to do that task I just assumed I would end up buying new ones from whichever builder I end up buying from.
Old 01-28-19, 10:08 AM
well biked

In your original post, you mentioned you want to do this the most economical way. As I said in my earlier post, the XD driver standard is more common now that it's been out there for a few years, and there are less expensive wheel/hub options now. Formula, for example, makes economical XD hubs, and I imagine you can find a pre-built wheel with maybe a WTB rim for a good price. If you want the wheels to match, obviously that would add the cost of a front wheel, but might be worth looking at as an option, either way.
Old 01-28-19, 10:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I'd put on a bigger chainring , to get your bigger high gear, and leave the cassette as it is , so replacements(they do wear, faster the smaller they are..) will be simpler ..
Old 01-28-19, 11:20 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I've seen quite a bit of orphaned XD rear wheels for cheap so might want to look into a prebuilt. Are you really spinning out on the DH segments in socal?
Old 01-28-19, 11:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
Campagnolo has also now introduced a 10T cassette (12 speed).

A couple of years ago, I had also encountered a company making cassettes for Campagnolo freehubs, and I believe had slightly modified the freehubs to accept a 10T cassette for small wheel bike use.
Old 01-28-19, 11:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Shimano's Caprio which Bike Friday offers, is a unique hub driver and cassette , which has a 10 as the 2nd smallest cog a 9 being its highest gear..

Made for small wheel bikes , but you could lace them in bigger rims.. you getting motor-paced ? Air resistance will continue..

https://sheldonbrown.com/capreo.html
Old 01-28-19, 12:06 PM
well biked

I don't think a Capreo hub is the answer here. Only works with Capreo cassette cogs, which are limited to about 26t largest cog size, I believe. Seems that the OP is looking for an extremely wide range cassette (50t largest cog?, with a 10t on the other end). FWIW: I've ridden and raced Shimano 11 x 42 and 11 x 46, 11 speed mountain bike cassettes (Shimano XT Dynasys 11, 1x drivetrains) for about three years now, and have done okay without the extra gear inches the 10t cog provides. It is worth noting, though, that if you do need more gear inches on a 1x drivetrain, when you get down into those smallest cog sizes (10,11,12), a one tooth difference does make a notable difference. Most mountain bike setups with 1x will add about nine gear inches in going from an 11t smallest cog to a 10t smallest cog. Ratios, math, and all that.
Old 01-28-19, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Back to the Q of the OP.

I'm trying to find the simplest, most economical way to add a 10t rear cog onto a mountain bike.
OK it may be neither , so you may just have to put a dent in that credit card to get it done ..