Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

He’s not with me.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

He’s not with me.

Old 03-24-19, 01:17 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
He’s not with me.

On the MUP today I was cruising along, next to the golf course, and came upon about 5 adults marching along. I also saw a young kid on a bike approaching and had noticed a cyclist coming up from behind. I slowed down as we were all coming together. The cyclist passed me without any warning and the adults moved to the right, having seen the kid and he went by. The cyclist then shot past the adults with some being quite startled. I was moving slowly and observing this. As I then passed I loudly said “He’s not with me”. I really enjoyed the loud burst of laughter as I continued on.

Spring is great, lots of people out today.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 03-24-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 01:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
funny

way to CYA too.....hehehe. We all know that cyclist.
Old 03-24-19, 02:50 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Similar situation over at MLK Park in Oakland. I'm approaching a small group (looked like family) from behind and as I got closer some clown passed me at a ridiculous speed and shouted obnoxiously "GET OUTTA THE WAY!" The group scattered erratically in a combination of fear and confusion. My timing could not have been worse as I rolled right up to the group as they spun around in Mr. Jackass's wake. Immediately I apologized; "sorry folks, but just so you know, I'm not riding with that idiot." It was embarrassing to say the least.

-Kedosto
Old 03-24-19, 08:14 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
See this every weekend, and on many many occassions, I just yelled at the offending cyclist, "slow down you idiot." Occassionally, the offending cyclists would flip me the bird. Oh well it is what it is.
Old 03-24-19, 08:17 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Just think, if these people drove their cars the way they ride their bikes, they might all become statistics.
Old 03-24-19, 08:39 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Some of those same people do drive their cars the same way. I am sure we have all seen them.
Old 03-25-19, 05:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
I have a feeling that spring's first waving thread is just around the corner.
Old 03-25-19, 06:08 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
What annoys me with idiots that ride like that is we get tarred with their brush ... it's always the minority that give the majority a bad name.
Old 03-25-19, 06:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
On the MUP today I was cruising along, next to the golf course, and came upon about 5 adults marching along. I also saw a young kid on a bike approaching and had noticed a cyclist coming up from behind. I slowed down as we were all coming together. The cyclist passed me without any warning and the adults moved to the right, having seen the kid and he went by. The cyclist then shot past the adults with some being quite startled. I was moving slowly and observing this. As I then passed I loudly said “He’s not with me”. I really enjoyed the loud burst of laughter as I continued on.

Spring is great, lots of people out today.

Old 03-25-19, 06:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have a feeling that spring's first waving thread is just around the corner.

Old 03-25-19, 06:40 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Same thing has happened to me. I usually say "Man, what an idiot", which precipitates the same sort of reaction from the pedestrians.
Old 03-25-19, 07:35 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
What annoys me with idiots that ride like that is we get tarred with their brush ... it's always the minority that give the majority a bad name.
Yup, that chaps my ass too. It's the same thing with the guys that blow through red lights, past stopped cars. People see that and think that every body rides like that. It makes us all look bad.
Old 03-25-19, 08:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Out with our 6 and 8 year old boys yesterday on the river MUP. More than one "paceline" went by. This is not a super straight super wide "bike interstate" in a metro area. It's a river walk. Seriously, pacelining a MUP? Not folks riding together and chatting, they're flying around like nuts and rotating and stuff. Gotta get that riverwalk PR yo.

There's a much less busy are of that trail you can go get in you faster fun away from the neighborhoods.

We got buzzed a couple times close cause people didn't want to slow to allow people in the oncoming lane to pass by.
Old 03-25-19, 09:00 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I'll bet some of these idiots would be the first to post an online complaint about drivers when they get buzzed on the road.

Jeez, I wonder how many of these pedestrians who got buzzed on the MUP might just remember what was done to them by cyclists,... and hold a grudge when they get in their cars?
Old 03-25-19, 09:09 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I've been there too. Out for a ride. I'm riding solo. A group of three riders come up and decide to pass me and a group of people I'm approaching too. Only they decide to pass on a much too narrow of a section.

As the group of three decides to pass, they cut off one of the people in the group, and he's forced to bail/come to a stop as the road narrows.. The group of three continues on, just as I come up on the fellow as he stopped.

I had no choice but so say "I'm not with them!" as I rode on past.
Old 03-25-19, 09:42 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
First warm days of spring are the worst times to be on a MUP, no matter which kind of user you are. Waaaay too crowded and there are many first-timers who have no idea of the etiquette. Roadies weaving through at 20mph, dogs on long leashes, kids and adults alike running across or walking 4-in-a-row, moms with strollers side-by-side... Yesterday, a serious collision between 2 cyclists on a local path put one in a hospital and the other one is now dead. On what is supposed to be a family-friendly MUP. It's mind-boggling.
Old 03-25-19, 10:03 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Just a few years ago I read of experiments by psychologists/behaviorists where they put their subjects, rats, deer or other animals, under stressful situations, such as overcrowded conditions in pens and or short rations of food. Those animals began to behave erratically, aggressively and a bit crazy. That behavior consisted of frequent fights and even killing their young. A casual look at the news shows humans behaving just this way. Being very annoyed I can understand but I don't understand mass killings except that it is crazy. Killing, abandoning and mistreating your own children can also only be understood as crazy. There is much information available on behavior but no one seems to be paying attention.
Old 03-25-19, 10:04 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Everyone who rides faster than me is a suicidal idiot, everyone who rides slower is completely out of shape moron who shouldn't be taking up space.
Old 03-25-19, 10:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
conversely when you see someone riding correctly you should say "yeah I know that guy"
Old 03-25-19, 10:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
Everyone who rides faster than me is a suicidal idiot, everyone who rides slower is completely out of shape moron who shouldn't be taking up space.
Made a hole in one right there.
Old 03-25-19, 12:22 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
If you had already noticed the guy coming up on you how did he pass you without any warning?

(still searching other forums for the post from a guy who was just riding along at a normal pace when a really slow rider on a "ladies"/"step through" bike looked back, and slowed even further, rather than safely passing a group of oblivious walkers)
Obviously, no warning on his behalf.
Old 03-25-19, 12:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
apparently there's been a death to a cyclist on a favorite MUP near me *sigh*

Lexington police say the crash on the Minuteman Bikeway just after 2 p.m. Sunday involved two cyclists heading opposite directions.
https://lexington.wickedlocal.com/ne...R1v9s1RgASkxho
Old 03-25-19, 12:30 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Obviously, warning on his behalf.
yes, I try to be aware of what’s around me. I had seen a bike pretty far back but had no idea of his intentions. But judging by the PJI (percentage jerk index) on this section of trail I had my suspicions. And I was right.
Old 03-25-19, 01:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
apparently there's been a death to a cyclist on a favorite MUP near me *sigh*

Lexington police say the crash on the Minuteman Bikeway just after 2 p.m. Sunday involved two cyclists heading opposite directions.
https://lexington.wickedlocal.com/ne...R1v9s1RgASkxho
Appreciate the link. I'll probably share with a few people.

We had a few folks in my group who didn't believe me when I asked them as roadies to stop chasing KOMs on the MUP trail in a 25mph paceline.

Originally Posted by joelcool;
Uhm, that's just daft. Most MUP's max out at 15mph or so. I think every idiot who thinks they are some kind of MUP Strava hero should either wake up on time and go get their jollies in really early or go out really late in the evening. At least then there won't be nearly as many people out there.

Or, you know........grow a pair and come get their clocks cleaned on the actual local hammer ride.
Old 03-25-19, 05:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Originally Posted by joelcool;

Uhm, that's just daft. Most MUP's max out at 15mph or so. I think every idiot who thinks they are some kind of MUP Strava hero should either wake up on time and go get their jollies in really early or go out really late in the evening. At least then there won't be nearly as many people out there.

Or, you know........grow a pair and come get their clocks cleaned on the actual local hammer ride.
it isnt daft, it's a joke. Its a long standing joke when it comes to driving.
it's also not daft because this is Murica so if anything its silly or foolish! <--- that is also a joke...sorta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.