Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a sporty steel commuter

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-01-19, 12:09 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts

Hey fellow bike commuters. I recently started a new job with a 16 mile commute each way. For years I've been commuting on my trusty Centurion ProTour, but I've come to the realization that I like to go fast and while I can go fast on that bike, it's more due to the engine rather than the bike (if I can toot my own horn a little ). I used to ride my carbon Trek 5200 on sunny days, and absolutely loved it, but that frame was recently totaled after a car accident. I ended up using the money from insurance and too much of my own funds to buy a BMC Team Machine SLR02, but I'm realizing that I don't feel comfortable commuting on the bike because of how much its worth. There is a locked bike room in the parking garage of my new office, and while I feel fine leaving my Centurion locked up all day, I have more reservations leaving a $4000 carbon bike locked up in a room that's enclosed in chain link fence. Also, I don't like the idea of my carbon bike getting dinged up by the bike rack and my u-lock (which happened a lot on my old 5200). There isn't really a space in my office for it (tragically), and I'm realizing that I could replace the pro tour with a racier steel frame that takes fenders.

So basically, my qualifications are race-oriented geometry, fender mounts, at least 32mm tires (would be cool to use it for light gravel as well), with disc brakes being a plus but not a requirement.
Bikes like the Surly Pacer (RIP), Soma Smoothie, Gunnar Roadie, or All City Mr. Pink seem like good options.

Any other recommendations? I'm not looking to buy anything ASAP- more trying to get a good list of options so if I see something pop up on Facebook or Craigslist I will feel comfortable biting the bullet.
This thread was largely inspired by me missing out on a Soma Smoothie frame in my size for $50 due to my own hesitation.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-19, 12:59 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Folks I know that have them really like the Soma Smoothie. All City Mr. Pink or Macho Man are nice frames.
Since you mentioned mounts, makes me think of the Surly Midnight Special. Road geometry w/ 650B wheels and WTB Byways.
I am very happy with my Bianchi Volpe for commuting but if buying new now, might very well end up on the Midnight Special.

Surly Midnight Special

Midnight Special is a road plus bike designed to provide comfort and speed on those all-day rides that extend well beyond fresh pavement.
Midnight Special shines on pot-holed, deteriorating pavement and the occasional long stretch of gravel. Its 650b road plus tires eat up road chatter and absorb all the bumps in the road like the champion it was designed to be.

When it comes to road bikes, we just want to toss a few bananas into our pockets and see where the road takes us. We seek out varied surfaces on our rides and frequently go from pavement to gravel to ****tier pavement. Midnight Special allows us to accomplish all of that quite comfortably.

Old 06-03-19, 07:55 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
^^^ so far as I understand the Midnight Special is a disk Pacer with some larger clearance.

Soma ES and Fog Cutter are on my list when I'm idly shopping for this kind of thing. You could also look for a sportier old bike than yours... a bike made for 1.25" x 27" tires can usually take some decent sized 700c. Check out the "sport touring" thread in C&V.

But I also want a custom... hopefully by the time my ship comes in Steve Rex hasn't retired.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-03-19, 11:51 AM
JMargolin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Hey fellow bike commuters. I recently started a new job with a 16 mile commute each way. For years I've been commuting on my trusty Centurion ProTour, but I've come to the realization that I like to go fast and while I can go fast on that bike, it's more due to the engine rather than the bike (if I can toot my own horn a little ). I used to ride my carbon Trek 5200 on sunny days, and absolutely loved it, but that frame was recently totaled after a car accident. I ended up using the money from insurance and too much of my own funds to buy a BMC Team Machine SLR02, but I'm realizing that I don't feel comfortable commuting on the bike because of how much its worth. There is a locked bike room in the parking garage of my new office, and while I feel fine leaving my Centurion locked up all day, I have more reservations leaving a $4000 carbon bike locked up in a room that's enclosed in chain link fence. Also, I don't like the idea of my carbon bike getting dinged up by the bike rack and my u-lock (which happened a lot on my old 5200). There isn't really a space in my office for it (tragically), and I'm realizing that I could replace the pro tour with a racier steel frame that takes fenders.

So basically, my qualifications are race-oriented geometry, fender mounts, at least 32mm tires (would be cool to use it for light gravel as well), with disc brakes being a plus but not a requirement.
Bikes like the Surly Pacer (RIP), Soma Smoothie, Gunnar Roadie, or All City Mr. Pink seem like good options.

Any other recommendations? I'm not looking to buy anything ASAP- more trying to get a good list of options so if I see something pop up on Facebook or Craigslist I will feel comfortable biting the bullet.
This thread was largely inspired by me missing out on a Soma Smoothie frame in my size for $50 due to my own hesitation.

Thanks!
I am in the same boat, especially since my Trek Soho DLX was stolen last week. I've been spending WAY too much time on Craigslist and the C&V forum trying to get something on the cheap. But, since you seem to be asking about a more modern bike, I would suggest you keep an eye out for the Jamis Quest (https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questsport.html). It seems to check all the boxes, and plus they have three different price brackets (all of which would seem to provide a solid commuter). Please follow up when you finally pull the trigger on a deal!

--Jonathan
Old 06-03-19, 01:23 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
My favorite steel commuters were a BD track bike (Kilo TT), an old mint specialized Allez. Newer I would go for a Genesis (probably gotta be in Brittan for that), Jamis Quest (seems to be fairly large clearance for a road bike) or a newer Gravel bike (Raleigh Tamland). Any Tom Ritchy bike would be great, but probably not cheap (swiss cross)
Old 06-07-19, 10:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
If you like your current Centurion and want something sportier, get a sportier Centurion. I can put 28s on my 87 Ironman Expert and there is a mm or two under the rear brake. I had a 86 Ironman that had even more room for the 28s and might have fit 32s but I never tried. I also have a 84 Centurion Turbo that seems to have a bunch of room to fit more than the 25 mm tubulars that are on it now.
Old 06-15-19, 03:01 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Just built a Soma Double Cross Disc and highly recommend it. Sporty and with fender mounts for all your commuting carrying needs as well.
Old 06-15-19, 04:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
UJB made in the 80s.. 90s or so..
Old 06-17-19, 07:32 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I built a New Albion Privateer last fall as a commuter. I wanted a steel frame to replace my old Schwinn Voyageur that broke. I considered a Soma Pescadero but it was more expensive. The Privateer is a surprisingly nice bike. It is made from Tange Infinity tubing which is not butted but is very good quality. The frame and fork have bosses for cantilever brakes and there is ample clearance for 35mm tires with fenders.

Likes For robert schlatte:
Old 06-17-19, 09:27 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
I realize the Mr. Pink is already on your list, but I will point out that the latest version of the All-City Mr. Pink is dubbed the "classic" (they returned to the steel fork on this version), and it is on sale for $999 MSRP, I believe. Not a high end build (10sp Tiagra, I believe), but it's the same frame tubing (Columbus Zona), frame geometry, etc as all other Mr. Pinks. Will accept tires as large as 700 x 32, and other than the slightly longer wheelbase to accomodate the 32mm tire width, it is a racy bike. Would make a nice backpack commuter, IMO.
Old 06-17-19, 12:46 PM
eugew23

Bikes: '86 Bianchi Limited'78 Centurion LeMans, '89 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Aw man, you're already a step up from my LeMans. But it's nice to know that there are others who ride Centurions everyday! I just bought me an Ironman Master but I don't think that makes a good commuter with its thin tires and lack of eyelets.
Old 06-17-19, 10:06 PM
the_mahout

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Zurich, 2002 Lemond Poprad, 1993 Trek 520, 1986 Trek 560 Fixie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pacer

I have a Surly Pacer among other bikes. My commute is about the same distance. The Pacer is a nice bike for this purpose. I had a Surly Nice Rack mounted on the back with some Chrome Industries bags. Fast commute and packed all that I needed, plus.

I picked up a Surly Crosscheck thinking it would be a better commuter bike but the frame felt really sluggish compared to the Pacer. Sold the Crosscheck. I am with you on a steel frame road geometry bike, able to accept a rack, being an ideal commuter for that distance - 30 miles per day.

That Midnight Special 650b looks really sweet.

Lots of great choices out there.
Old 07-25-19, 10:41 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Jamis Renegades come in a variety of price points, all have disc brakes and clearance for 700 x 42mm tires or 700 x 35mm tires with fenders. Just built up one from an Escapade frameset and I love it!