Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Single speed commuter bikes

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-28-19, 10:14 PM
Cyclist30923232

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey all! For all my single speed riders, what bike should I be looking to buy? I’m 6’2 ad usually feel comfortable in a 61-62
Old 06-29-19, 12:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I personally don't see much point in spending a whole lot for a commuting single speed bike, since we're likely to weigh it down anyway with accessories and the commute load, and we're not gearing it for a high top end speed. I'd draw the line at hi-ten steel and bottom end cranks though.

I've been pleased with a Dawes from bikesdirect. $200 currently. The Kilo TT is a solid alternative if you want a step up in quality.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 06-29-19, 03:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Yeah, the bikes @wphamilton cites are good. You'll find that one or two components on them don't last long or is cheap. Even after replacing them, it's money well spent. I favor high quality over money saving, but he makes a good point when you're talking about single speed freewheel bikes. On the other hand, if you want to ride a fixed gear, it's not a bad idea to get quality, because the drivetrain is under more tension and in both directions. I have a cheap fixie and a high quality one, and I appreciate the latter. I'm about to convert the cheap one to freewheel because of that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-29-19, 06:13 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Another +1 to the above. I commute with a single-speed in good weather. On rainy days, I happen to have another bike with fenders, that's a 3-speed.

With single speed, there's no drivetrain to worry about, so you can avoid a lot of the issues that normally come with lower end bikes.

I don't know your wrench skills, but in my opinion a lower end bike comes with a bit of up-front maintenance work that has to be done, basically to make sure it was manufactured right. This includes making sure the bearings are lubricated and adjusted correctly, and the spokes sufficiently tensioned. Also, depending on your skills, a single-speed conversion is a great use for an older bike if the drivetrain is trashed, and the effort is pretty much the same -- bearings and spokes. Once you've taken care of those things, virtually any bike can last a long time.

Make sure you get the form of bike that you prefer, because you'll be riding it a lot. Most notably drop versus upright handlebars. It's not hard to switch from one to the other, but there's some cost involved due to controls and cabling.

A crank with standard bolted chainrings is a plus, in case it takes you a couple tries to dial in your preferred gear ratio. Also, clearance for wider tires is worth looking for -- at least knowing up front what the bike can take.
Old 06-29-19, 09:51 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Brake and frame clearance for 32mm tires, rack and fender mounts, handlebars with room for lights and computer. There really aren't a lot of choices.

Old 06-30-19, 10:15 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
My commute is hilly, and is a challenge on a singlespeed. But I do go through phases when I like that challenge, and I will usually go through a period of a week or two at a time riding my singlespeed for commuting, and then I take a break from it and go back to a multi-geared bike. The other thing that is different about my singlespeed compared to the other bikes I use for commuting is that the singlespeed is not equipped with a rack (although I have put fenders on it in the winter). So when I ride it for commuting, I wear a backpack, which is a little like it being a singlespeed instead of a multi-geared bike; it's different, and I have to be in the mood for it. I do tend to ride the singlespeed more in the cooler months than in the summer.

The bike is an All-City Nature Boy Disc, and is a beautiful bike IMO. I built it up from a frameset, and it's not an economical build. I wanted a high quality, good looking singlespeed for commuting, and I also might do a cx race on it sometime in the singlespeed category. Anyway, I do really like the bike. I especially like that it's a disc brake bike with rear dropout spacing of 135mm, so I can use any of my QR/disc mtb wheels with a singlespeed spacer kit and singlespeed cassette cog. The bike has clearance for up to 38mm tire width (700c), and I run plump 38mm tubeless Panaracer Gravel King (slicks) on it and love the ride.

Last edited by well biked; 06-30-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-30-19, 10:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Have a back up..

Just get 2 .. since you will depend on it to get to work ... On Time ..
Old 06-30-19, 11:13 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
The bike is an All-City Nature Boy Disc, and is a beautiful bike IMO.
That is a cool bike - would be on my list if I needed a replacement.
I really like fixed gear though and that reduces my choices when I also want racks and fenders.
I got lucky with this Trek District S that they only made one year.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-30-19, 03:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
I wasn't expecting it when I built it up, but I've come to really dig my fixed-gear for commuting. The absence of shifters and the single brake let me focus on other things while riding, and I've got plenty of room for fat tires and fenders since I built it out of an old MTB.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-30-19, 05:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
In a different vein, Surly had a single speed version of the current Karate Monkey two years ago, but phased it out when they introduced the Lowside to replace the old 1x1. Salsa meanwhile sells several bikes with Alternator dropouts which serve for chain tensioners in a single speed build
Old 07-01-19, 02:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
If budget is a concern - and so is customization - troll Facebook Maketplace/craigslist/ebay/Nextdoor/etc for people selling vintage 70s-90s road bikes and turn it into a single speed. Frames in good shape can be had for anywhere from $25-200 usually. Then built to suit. Almost all of the bikes I see online are for tall people, so you shouldn't have a problem lol

My main commuter is a 84' Raleigh Sportif that belonged to my Aunt - was a 10 speed, I stripped it and rebuilt it to a single. I had a rack, but took it off because aesthetically it wasn't pleasing. So I use a backpack. Here's a pic, with my rear fender attached (comes off when no rain is forecast).

My other commuter bike is a '74 Raleigh with a rear rack and a trunk bag.

If you're definitely looking to buy new - I agree that All-City makes some beautiful bikes. Surly has the Steamroller, too.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 07-05-19, 09:12 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Does BikesDirect still sell the Fantom Cross Uno? Nope
But they do sell the Kilo WT which will also wear decent commuting tires in a SS configuration.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 07-05-19, 09:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Any freewheel hub can be used to build a single speed wheel ..

I even re dished a 5 speed wheel , de dished actually, to build up a wheel for a single cog freewheel..

Bin & dumpster parts..
Old 07-05-19, 03:03 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I second the rec to get a 70s or 80s bike. You should have no trouble finding one with horizontal dropouts, which makes the single speed conversion really easy. The good steel frames are really lightweight and make great rides. Since you don’t care about the condition of the derailleurs, I’m sure you can find one for quite a low price. If there’s a Co Op near you that’s a good place to try.
Old 07-08-19, 10:52 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I like light and fast. I've been using a langster, which at 19lbs and $600 is a heck of a price to performance ratio. Probably only a couple of hundred used. But over the years I have to agree with #5 DiabloScott in that 32mm (or larger) tires are the way to go.

I did commute on a Kilo TT for a while. The steel was kind of nice, but that thing had a weird way of understeering....

Still - it is great riding a bike that has nothing much to break on it.
Old 07-09-19, 06:41 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That is a cool bike - would be on my list if I needed a replacement.
I really like fixed gear though and that reduces my choices when I also want racks and fenders.
I got lucky with this Trek District S that they only made one year.

The District S was only made 1 year,the Soho S was made for a few years and I turned mine into a commuter/gravel bike. Mine was matte black originally also.
Old 07-09-19, 06:44 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts

Just picked this frame up yesterday and built it up today. A quick ride around the cauldesac (sans brakes)and it seems like it will fit the bill for my daily 8 mile round trip.
Old 07-09-19, 10:19 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
commuting prioirities:
  • clearance for wide tires n fenders
  • no toe overlap
  • horizontal dropouts
  • braze-on for rack

recommendation:
  • Bikesdirect Gravity G27.5/G29 SS MTB 21"

mods:
change gearing...add fenders...add rack.

I'd make sure there's a big enough ring available for that crank, to provide a decent ratio on pavement. Otherwise, it certainly looks like a fun bike.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-10-19, 07:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Dawes SST with DIY fenders, chain cover and laptop pannier. The gearing it came with, 46x16 gives me 76-77 gear inches which is just about right for the smaller hills around here.

Likes For wphamilton:
Old 07-10-19, 08:14 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
One of our Omafiets is single-speed (w/ coaster brake) and I'd guess about a third of the bikes (largely opafiets and omafiets) in The Netherlands and other parts of Europe are single speed.
Old 07-10-19, 08:54 PM
Gresp15C

Well, here's my SS commuter and comfort cruiser. I think I've got about 100 bucks in this bike. The frame looks better in the picture because my cell phone camera blurred out the scratches. The hub is an old Bendix, definitely not sufficient as a primary brake. This bike is 65 gear inches, not a racer, but a decent compromise for getting around town and going on recreational rides of less than 25 miles in my locale. It's just intended to be easy and fun to ride.

I also have another SS coaster wheelset that is earmarked for a dedicated winter bike to be built this summer. It will have ample clearance for studded tires and fenders. The winter bike will have somewhat lower gearing to make up for the tires, road conditions, and heavy clothing.

Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-11-19, 12:20 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5868 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
One of our Omafiets is single-speed (w/ coaster brake) and I'd guess about a third of the bikes (largely opafiets and omafiets) in The Netherlands and other parts of Europe are single speed.
My guess is more than 50% in the Netherlands and less than a third elsewhere in Europe. Wind has in common with hills that you have to work harder, but for some reason shifting down in a head wind doesn't really help as much as on a hill. It's sometimes also about other things, Flanders and North Germany is pretty flat too but legislature is national. If I'm not mistaken in Belgium there was a law that a bike had to have two brakes, which probably makes sense in the Walloon part that is quite hilly. So despite the cycling isn't that different, the Flemish are more used to a different type of bike.
Old 07-11-19, 02:21 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I like light and fast. I've been using a langster, which at 19lbs and $600 is a heck of a price to performance ratio. Probably only a couple of hundred used. But over the years I have to agree with #5 DiabloScott in that 32mm (or larger) tires are the way to go.

I did commute on a Kilo TT for a while. The steel was kind of nice, but that thing had a weird way of understeering....

Still - it is great riding a bike that has nothing much to break on it.
+1 on the Langster - I paid $110 for mine and need only a new spoke and bar tape. I put new tires on it and have been riding ever since. Weighs in at 17.5 lbs with FSA carbon fiber crankset.

To directly address the OP's question - you can't go wrong with a 70s or 80s horizontal dropout bike and make it what you want. Would be very cheap and fun. Just make sure to get a decent frame, not high-tensile steel, should be lots of CrMo bikes out there. Double or Triple butted would be awesome. Japanese bikes are out there for cheap meeting this criteria. Most will have 32mm tire clearance plus, more if you run 650B rims but that's a whole new thread but TOTALLY doable on these frames. A lot of older MTBs would be great too, clearance for wide tires and cheap in the 26" size, just have to watch out as many don't have horizontal dropouts, not a big deal to run a tensioner too if you're not running FG.

If you're not looking to work on something, bikes direct is great for inexpensive bikes, then just change out some of the more vulnerable components, but there aren't many because it's an SS