Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rock n' Roll questions form a blond freshman

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-31-19, 01:14 PM
yobrekib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding on RnR for some time, and I think it works OK. I am not at all en expert on bike-maintenance and how things is supposed to be... so maybe I do something wrong.

I use gold on my gravel, red on my road. Accord the label, that should be right. OK? Or should I go gold on both? (I do NOT ride in wet weather)

Is the chain really supposed to be pure clean (no dirt on rag) after I applied and wipe off? (I never get a pur clean rag)

How many km does one "job" lasts? I read somewhere around 150-200 or something.

How do I know it is time to get a new round with the lube. I think its hard to feel on chain that it needs more.

Can i put to much on? (I pedal backward for 5-10 seconds while i squirt it on)

Maybe once a month aprox (i ride a lot) I use chaincleaner with some kind of degreaser (I know RnR is not grease) to get a cleaner chain. I wipe off after every ride. And before every time i put new on. (But still.. much gunk in my Pedro-cleaner)
I guess this is OK to to.
Old 07-31-19, 06:11 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I use gold on my road bike. I have not tried red because I have not had good luck with dry lubes generally and it is sufficiently damp and humid here to warrant a wetter lube.

I don’t know about the clean rag thing. I find gold keeps my chains plenty clean, much cleaner than when I used pro gold chain lune. The chain will always produce some amount of dirt because you pick it up as you ride and as the chain wears it produces small amounts of metal dust.s

I have never measured how long I go between applications. Chain starts to get a bit noisy, I reapply. No worries

I never use chain cleaner of any kind. The fluid from the gold serves to degrease the chain and deliver the teflon to the rollers. My chains come out very clean with just application of RnR and regular wipe down with rags. I get long life from chains so have not had any cause to clean them more thoroughly.

Last edited by DOS; 07-31-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 06:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,180 Times in 7,062 Posts
...this has to be a sock.
Old 07-31-19, 09:04 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
I use the gold on all my bikes. Sometimes with a clean chain, sometimes not. Your chain may last longer if you clean it between applications, but I don't really think it makes much difference performance-wise. I made a video last year doing a test on it to see how many miles I could get between applications.
Old 08-01-19, 03:06 AM
yobrekib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
what?
Old 08-01-19, 05:38 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yobrekib
I use gold on my gravel, red on my road. Accord the label, that should be right. OK? Or should I go gold on both? (I do NOT ride in wet weather)
Gold will be fine on both. It will probably last a bit longer between applications than the red. I've used gold and blue most often.

Recently I bought some of the white, Holy Cow edition. Haven't tried it yet, so can't speak to it. Fun name though. I will admit buying it because the name sounds fun.

Is the chain really supposed to be pure clean (no dirt on rag) after I applied and wipe off? (I never get a pur clean rag)
No. My experience is that you'll never get a clean rag. I wipe off as much as I'm able and call it good.

How many km does one "job" lasts? I read somewhere around 150-200 or something.
I have no idea, but longevity is where you begin to notice the difference between red, gold, blue. My experience is that blue lasts longer than gold. Presumably gold would last longer than red. I'm not always the best at keeping up with my chains and often ride until they squeak. That's actually why I changed to another brand of lube, but that's another topic. I keep Rock-n-Roll because the kids like it.

How do I know it is time to get a new round with the lube. I think its hard to feel on chain that it needs more.
If chain squeaks, then add lube. Sometimes I'll add lube if the chain feels dry and/or the shifting doesn't feel smooth. When to add lube is not an exact science.

Can i put to much on? (I pedal backward for 5-10 seconds while i squirt it on)
That's how I do it. I used to go longer, but these days I'm probably closer to five seconds than to ten.

Maybe once a month aprox (i ride a lot) I use chaincleaner with some kind of degreaser (I know RnR is not grease) to get a cleaner chain. I wipe off after every ride. And before every time i put new on. (But still.. much gunk in my Pedro-cleaner)
I guess this is OK to to.
All the above is fine in my opinion. Wiping between rides is something I'll do if a chain looks particularly gunky, or if I just have some time to spend on keeping the bike clean.
Old 08-01-19, 01:19 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html
Old 08-01-19, 01:38 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
"But how is blond freshman formbed?"
Old 08-01-19, 02:20 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
Ah, but here's even better chain maintenance advice, also on Sheldon's site: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Old 08-02-19, 03:16 AM
yobrekib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for good and informative input. And always nice to Sheldon. 😜
Old 08-02-19, 03:17 AM
yobrekib