Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

BB spindle sizing for cross

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 01:00 PM
moosetoth

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly w/X-Fly,XTR,XT,Avid ultimates, & king. Schwinn Paramount 42/16 brakeless(for the summer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB spindle sizing for cross

Hi all, I just picked up a K2 Enemy frame for my graduation and was wondering if there is some kinda rule of thumb for determining correct spindle length when buying a new BB. I've only done a frame build on a fixie before and choosing a BB for that really easy - as short as possible without hitting the frame and if you're off by a little, who cares. I assume with cross its different because of the larger rear spacing and you have the mud/snow clogging factor. Has anyone had experience with servicing the BB on this bike or just know off the top of your head what the stock spindle length should be? Couldn't find it on their website.

Much thanks
Old 12-23-06, 02:56 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What chainset are you planning on using as this will determine this to a large extent? Also are you going for a single or double ring up front?

If double use what is reccomended by the chainset manufacturer
Old 12-23-06, 04:07 PM
moosetoth

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly w/X-Fly,XTR,XT,Avid ultimates, & king. Schwinn Paramount 42/16 brakeless(for the summer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By "chainset" are you referring to the double or triple crankset config. or something else?
I don't have a set of cranks picked out yet but I will most probably go with a double or a single ring upfront until I get enough $ for STIs.

EDIT: Feels like i'm living in the dark ages, talking about spindles when every major manufacturer has switched to hollowaxles.

Last edited by moosetoth; 12-23-06 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 04:23 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes by Chainset I am refering to double or triple style. because that is going to be the biggest determining factor on the bottom bracket spindle you can use.
Old 12-23-06, 07:23 PM
jacobs

Bikes: https://www.jacobsbicycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S-bend stays on a lot of cross bikes means you need something pretty wide 115mm + . Single ring setups mean even wider, 118 or more.
Old 12-24-06, 10:12 PM
moosetoth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I see what you guys mean now. I stopped by my LBS and got some Truvativ Elitas for $30 used. They have new rings on 'em (fsa I think) at 54/42. My old f.der. won't work on the new frame so I'm gonna run a single ring for a while.