Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did my first century today but ...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 02:01 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

... is was tainted by a jerk that wanted to teach me a lesson.

Century was going well. Was at 32 miles in when while crossing an entrance to a parking lot from a parkway (I was going West, he was entering the parking, see below), this guy when he saw me adjusting my speed to pass behind him instead of stopping (there is a stop sign), stopped dead at the intersection, blocking my path. I veered but still clipped his trunk with my handlebar. Of course I lost control and flipped. Luckily, I only ended up with a skinned elbow and no damage to the bike. What surprised me is I was clipped in and my cleats are not the multi release kind but nevertheless, I somehow got unclipped and rolled on the pavement, away from the bike. When I asked him why the hell did he block the intersection like that, he asked me why I didn't do my stop!!! That was the reason why he blocked me, because I wasn't stopping! Felt like punching him.

Anyway, beside that adventure. It went well. About 95% of my travel was on MUP or bicycle paths, no roads. Took me 7h55m, including all stops for 101.4 miles. Moving time was 6h13m. Moving speed was 16.3 mph and avg speed (including rests) was 12.8 mph.

Old 08-18-18, 04:22 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Grats on your ride. Just amazing why people think they need to send that kind of message with no thought of causing an injury.
Old 08-18-18, 04:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
What surprised me is I was clipped in and my cleats are not the multi release kind but nevertheless, I somehow got unclipped and rolled on the pavement, away from the bike.
Cleats are supposed to release in a crash. You are supposed to separate from the bike.

If the bike flips with your feet attached to the pedal it could break your ankle. If the bike gets trapped under a car with your feet locked to the pedals then you could get dragged along the road with the bike.

Same deal with ski bindings. If the binding is too tight and the ski twists then it will break your leg. You want it to come apart.

-Tim-
Old 08-18-18, 04:58 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Great stats, you should feel good about your accomplishment. That was also a nice recovery from the incident. Better luck for your next 100+.
Old 08-18-18, 05:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
Hopefully you left some nice deep scratches and dents on the guy's car.

It turns out that I roll through a lot of stops, but I try to slow down and am vigilant. Defensive Riding is key. Always expect the unexpected.
Old 08-18-18, 07:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Well done! Good average moving speed too. Glad you weren't hurt any worse.
Old 08-18-18, 09:11 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks all. Yeah it did feel good after the ride. Never thought two years ago when I went back into cycling that I would ride 100 miles on one ride. Yeah I like my numbers. Being on MUP and cycling paths (but mostly MUP), I often had to slow down because of MUP traffic. I still prefer that than dealing with cars though. Nevertheless, although I passed many, I never got passed for the whole 100 miles Sure if I would have taken the road though, road warriors would have breezed by me

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Cleats are supposed to release in a crash. You are supposed to separate from the bike.

If the bike flips with your feet attached to the pedal it could break your ankle. If the bike gets trapped under a car with your feet locked to the pedals then you could get dragged along the road with the bike.

Same deal with ski bindings. If the binding is too tight and the ski twists then it will break your leg. You want it to come apart.

-Tim-
Nice to know. That was always a concern of mine.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hopefully you left some nice deep scratches and dents on the guy's car.

It turns out that I roll through a lot of stops, but I try to slow down and am vigilant. Defensive Riding is key. Always expect the unexpected.
Yeah, I hope I scratched it. I did slow down to adjust my speed to pass after him. It was an empty parking lot in a parkway on a Saturday morning. There was no car or people in sight beside him and me. Beside blocking me, there was absolutely no reason for him to stop blocking the MUP.
Old 08-19-18, 09:48 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A very fine effort. I am sorry to say that there are many people who wish to make the world a better place by modifying everyone else's behavior. Most often such people speak in declarative sentences and seldom ask any questions. Consequently they never learn anything new.
Old 08-19-18, 10:01 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Nice stats! Sorry to hear about that wacko, I'll have people lay on the horn when behind me sometimes, just to signal their disapproval of me creeping through an empty intersection.

Good job on recovering, that's important for long distance riding I think. My first century I hit mud and wiped out hard but was able to continue scratched/bruised up.
Old 08-19-18, 02:25 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations on the century!!! I'm glad you're okay after the spill too.
Old 08-20-18, 12:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Don’t you just hate sanctimonious bastards who have to prove something to somebody to boost a warped sense of self-importance.

Congrats on century - a worthy goal. More precaution to keep them fun. I ride a couple of paths that have obscure road crossings or long private driveways. Many have stop signs for path riders. I’ve seen cars mostly block the intersection on 2 occasions and once even 2 female cyclists blocking and admonishing riders who didn’t stop and those without helmets. They must have had a Cause!