Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wheel Build Thoughts: WTB Scaper rims 27.5 i40 or i45?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-02-19, 09:31 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hi everyone thinking of building a new plus size wheelset for my Surly Ogre and grabbing the WTB Scraper rims in 27.5 i40. I wanted to know if anyone runs these rims and if so. Would I be ok to mount 27.5 3.0 tires to the rims?
Old 03-03-19, 10:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hi everyone thinking of building a new plus size wheelset for my Surly Ogre and grabbing the WTB Scraper rims in 27.5 i40. I wanted to know if anyone runs these rims and if so. Would I be ok to mount 27.5 3.0 tires to the rims?
re the tires allowed, their webpage is pretty clear on the matter, so at least you have that official info.
Dont have personal experience with wide rims, but it is worth you doing research on how a narrower rim changes the shape of a wider tire, and the possible downsides to this.
there is a fair amount of good info out there about this aspect of wider rims vs narrower, so it should help you make a decision depending on what you want to run tires wise.

I figure it stands to reason to look at possible range of tire widths you think you' d use realistically, and go with a rim width that is going to be good for that range.
For me personally, this would be in the 1.5 to 2.5 or maybe 3 range max, and I know the stock wheels on newer Trolls accomodate that range. The adventurer 2 rim, that is tubeless ready.
Old 03-03-19, 10:37 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
You can run 3" tire width on both the i40 and i45 ("i" designates inside rim width on WTB rims, btw). A lot of the stock Surlys and Salsas have used i40's on plus tires (3" width) as stock equipment, they work fine. The i45 Scraper was WTB's original rim designed for plus tires, and they obviously work fine as well. I have a couple of wheelsets that I run 3" tires on, both with i45 Scrapers. Very good rims IME.