Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wide tubeless tire for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-03-19, 11:29 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,507 Posts

Yay tire thread. Yay tubeless thread.

So it's getting close to time I need to replace the tires on my Surly CrossCheck. I've had two different 700x50 tires in there (previously marathon supreme, currently Vee Rubber V-12).

The Supremes rode well I guess, they certainly lasted a long time (over 10k miles), but I always thought they looked frumpy.

The Vees look cool, very monstercross. But they are wearing very quickly.

For my next tires, I want something in the 700x45 (plus or minus) size range, long-lasting, smooth(ish)-rolling tread down the center, some mildly more aggressive tread on the sides for occasional light trail riding (and looking cool), and tubeless-ready.

Recos?

Schwalbe Hurricane 42-622 ticks all the boxes except tubeless. Any thoughts on whether it would mount ok and hold sealant well (at 40psi or less)? Performance vs RaceGuard?

Almotion has a tubeless option, but it's as expensive as Supreme, and still looks dorky. Well not so much 'frumpy' as, I dunno, drably industrial and utilitarian. That's the kind of look I want in my car tires.

And I'm not married to Schwalbe, what else is out there?

Last edited by RubeRad; 07-03-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 12:52 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
I've become a huge fan of QBP's new gravel/mtb tire brand, Teravail, I have used quite a few of the tire models on various bikes, all tubeless. For what you're describing, I recommend the Teravail Cannonball in 700 x 42. All of the Teravails are tubeless ready and are super easy to set up. Most models and sizes are available in a "light and supple" version or a "durable" version, with black or tan sidewalls. Great tires IME. A more agressive tire in the same size would be the Teravail Rutland . I have worn a pair of Rutlands out on my Straggler, really enjoyed them. Now I'm running more pavement-oriented tires on that same bike, the 700 x 42 Teravail Sparwood. In that size tire, I''m running just over 40 psi for commuting, very plush ride, and I've yet to have a flat. Another similar tire to the Rutland is the 700 x 42 WTB Resolute, I have done everything from gravel bikepacking to commuting on those (tubeless at about the same psi as above), they are also great tires. They mount up a mm or two wider than the 700 x 42 Rutlands IME.
Old 07-03-19, 12:59 PM
well biked

Another good one is the Panaracer 700 x 43 Gravel King SK or SK+ (extra flat protection). Tubeless ready and a very low profile knobby tread pattern.
Old 07-03-19, 01:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hey that Cannonball looks real good. Sparwood looks quite similar, but (a) looks a little less for pavement and (b) I only see it on their website in the 2.2" width.

Resolute is too far in the mtb direction. Gravel King is ok-to-meh on looks (for me), but max width 38, I'd like to be in the 40s. CrossCheck frame/fork I think kinda needs some beef
Old 07-03-19, 01:52 PM
well biked

Gravel King SK should be available in 700 x 43, we have sold them in that size at my shop. Regarding the Sparwood, sorry, I meant to say Rampart, it's more the wide pavement tire from Teravail. The Sparwood is basically a mtb sized Cannonball.
Old 07-03-19, 01:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Looking at cannonball on biketiresdirect.com (a bit pricey...) the 'also recommended' got me to WTB Riddler. That also looks pretty good. 700x45 would be the perfect size. I wonder if I would really like tanwalls? (CC color is called I think 'dark dusky blue', and trim is (currently) red)

A lot of the riddler reviews mention difficulty in mounting tubeless. I wonder how it would go for me since I have non-tlr rims (velocity dyad) and would be going ghetto (split-tube liner)
Old 07-03-19, 02:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hurricane is available for 10 euro ea on all the german bike websites! Hard to pass that up, EXCEPT I didn't realize it only comes with a wired bead -- I didn't even think Schwalbe would make any wire-bead models
Old 07-03-19, 02:05 PM
well biked

Regarding the Riddler in 700 x 45, they are especially difficult to mount tubeless. We have set up hundreds, probably thousands, of tubeless tires at the shop, there was a rim combo with the Riddler that simply would not work tubeless. The same rim worked just fine with other WTB tubeless tires. Not sure why the Riddler is a problem tire in that area, but yeah, you might have problems with it. I'm not a huge fan of that tread pattern, either, but that's personal preference. I will say, among the WTB gravel tires in this size range, the Resolute is the best by a long shot IME. I have ridden them a lot, both on gravel and pavement, and they roll just fine on pavement and would be amazing on the gravel surface you mention. The tan sidewalls in the WTB tires are more of a terra cotta color, very pretty IMO.
Old 07-03-19, 02:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
My experience with tubeless so far is that every half-measure has caused me problems while using stuff intended for tubeless all works fine. Much of what makes a true tubeless tire is the tighter fitting bead seat, split tube is an alternative to that relying on the soft rubber to make the seal, and prob' not too stable with higher pressure.

I'm really glad "gravel" tires have brought us tubeless tires at commuter sizes, finally.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-03-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 04:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yeah, I wouldn't want to try tubeless at road pressures/widths.

My Krampus uses split-tube on rabbit-hole rims, it was that way when I bought it used (when you helped me buy it used!). I think the original Knards were not rated for tubeless, and neither are the rims, but it was fine. And replacing with Chupacabras (reusing the same split tubes) has been 100% trouble free. But that's at 8-14 psi.

Currently on the 700x50 tires I pump them 'up' to like 35 psi. 45s or 42s maybe I would want to take it to 40 psi, hopefully that wouldn't start to push it.

And in the end if the tubeless doesn't work out I can always just slap the toobz back in there