Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Day-pack suggestions?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Day-pack suggestions?

Old 07-08-19, 06:56 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Day-pack suggestions?

Bookfinder had a hard time deciding whether to put this in Commuting or Touring, but opted for Commuting after concluding that commuters deal with the heart of the question on a regular basis.

Here's my dilemma and my question:

I am planning a couple of days away later this summer with riding as a primary focus.

I don't plan to carry a butt-load of stuff, but I will need to carry some essentials that I don't want to leave on the bike if I'm off of it at a restroom or other stop.

So what suggestions can the experienced commuters offer regarding day-packs?

- Size
- Features
- Cushioning
- Other

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 07-08-19, 07:44 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
So I use a Goruck GR1 backpack. They are a bit expensive but the quality and ruggedness are awesome. I use it to carry my items on day's I bike commute to work but I also have used it for business trips when I fly. I also use packing cubes along with it to help organize my stuff but I can easily get a few days worth of clothing and other essentials. Plus it has Mollie webbing that I can attach to if I need to carry additional items. Mine is the 26L version.

I got caught in a downpour a few weeks ago and everything in my pack stayed dry. Its held up very nicely with rough wear, much better than other backpacks I've owned and used.
Old 07-08-19, 11:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
try REI, they have an assortment .. Big Messenger bags are another option..

I got a Dana designs day pack (probably you are younger than It .. )

There are dry-bags with shoulder straps too......

https://www.rei.com/c/day-packs

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-08-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 12:01 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I currently use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of space for groceries or whatever, and the MOLLE loops give me a place to hang my U-Lock comfortably.

For something smaller, I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mind I did crack the zipper on the front pocket (the small one on the strap). Not had any other issues, however. The topmost exterior pouches of each fit this first-aid kit nicely.
Old 07-08-19, 12:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Some people just ride to work and might go by the store for a few things they forgot. I'm one of those and I use a Camelbak Blowfish. It was actually a replacement for an earlier version of the same model, which got melted by my motorcycle's exhaust when it was strapped to the back seat. This pack isn't offered any more. Buying again today, I'd get a Camelbak MULE or HAWG. The Mule is about the same size as Blowfish with the expansion zipped closed, the Hawg is about the same size as Blowfish expanded.

...Or other brand equivalent. I've had a few Osprey brand things (my kid has a kid size pack and I have a Poco that's out of service now) and they seem like the same quality.

However, some people want to go everywhere on their bike all the time and put everything on their back, and carry much larger packs. I'll leave that advice to them.

Fig.1 my version of the Blowfish. There was a version after this which had a smaller bladder

Fig. 2 the earlier version which I melted. This photo shows the expansion flap open. I often wished the newer one had the mesh pocket. I used it for a Sierra Cup to give water to my dog.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-08-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 01:59 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
There might be a few of us here that use the same pack, but whenever this question gets brought up the answers are all over the board with a lot of us using packs that aren't made anymore. Like me!
Old 07-08-19, 03:52 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
I recommend the Osprey brand. Look through their offerings and find the one that best fits your needs. I've used several brands of backpacks over the years; mountain biking, backpacking, commuting, etc. Once I discovered Osprey a few years ago, I doubt I buy another brand of pack, no matter the application.
Old 07-08-19, 10:13 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
+1 Osprey, Osprey daylite, light weight, 1 lbs, small and efficient, room for a change of clothes or two, a tablet, lunch, water bottles, snacks, phone and charger, etc, and if you commute or travel in hot weather or hot climates there is also a hydration pack, sold separately, that works beautifully with this pack, they also have daylite plus, a bit larger
Old 07-08-19, 10:20 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
+2 Osprey. Talon 22 works good for my hiking pack.
Old 07-08-19, 10:40 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I’d go with the biggest size Timbuk2 messenger I could find. I’m so glad I got my hands on a classic messenger in xl before they discontinued it. I used one when I worked as a messenger. Loved it so much it kicked off an enormous timbuk2 messenger bag collection. Got like fifteen of them. But never did get an xl. Was just so big lol.
When I heard they were discontinuing that size, I went on their website and found they were selling the remainder off dirt cheap. It’s now my go-to bag for any trip, with or without bike.
Old 07-08-19, 11:30 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I use the Osprey Escapist 25. It's designed for cycling and works well. It's discontinued but still available on line if you Google it. The Osprey Talon (mentioned above) is the current bag and I've heard good things about it.

One word of advice...If you look at roll top bags, test ride with it before you buy. Some obstruct your rear mirror view and turn to look over your shoulder view.
Old 07-08-19, 11:56 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
I got the smallest Black Diamond at REI 6?, 8? years ago, Love it. It is not large. Doesn't unzip fully so loading it is more of a challenge, but on my back riding it is the best pack I've used by a lot Unless it is fully loaded, I often forget I have it on until I arrive. It is also narrow enough at the top that I don't see it using a short helmet mounted mirror.

I don't recall it being advertised as waterproof but I have never arrived with wet contents unless I forgot to close the zipper. Very well constructed adn thought out. I have not done anything besides use it and it is virtually as good as new. (Actually conderably better since I added ties to hold a U-lock in the sleeve behind the neck, keeping tie lock portion close to the sleeve. Also added many square inches of good reflecting tape.)

The test I consider critical that it passes is the clipboard test. A standard letter sized clipboard fits and isn't too hard to get in and out. Once in, capacity is barely changed.

Ben
Old 07-09-19, 05:17 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Hauling a backpack on a multi-day ride is not something I would ever consider. I would get a rack with panniers or an easily removable trunk bag like the arkel trailrider. Although a bit of a pain to remove, even a bikepacking saddle bag would be better than a backpack.
Old 07-09-19, 06:14 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
+1 Osprey, Osprey Daylite Plus, light weight, 1 lbs, small and efficient, room for a change of clothes or two, a tablet, lunch, water bottles, snacks, phone and charger, etc, and if you commute or travel in hot weather or hot climates there is also a hydration pack, sold separately, that works beautifully with this pack, they also have daylite plus, a bit larger

+1 on the Osprey Daylite Plus. With me right now. Perfect size and weight for a daypack. My previous pack was a Vaude ultralight model. This one was even smaller and lighter, made for ultralight trail running. I found both of these packs to be very versatile. The Osprey is a better daily use pack. The Vaude was better for packing into a pannier when bike touring. The Osprey Daylite can mount on to Osprey's bigger packs for backpacking.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 07-11-19 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Osprey Daylite Plus
Old 07-09-19, 06:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
I like my Swissgear packpack. It's water resistant, but I put a plastic bag on it when it rains.

But I mainly wanted to show how I carry it to work on my back rack.

Old 07-09-19, 06:00 PM
schiavonec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions vary, but for smaller loads, backpacks may not be the best choice. If you run hot, they make you sweat to much. i have a deuter airflow 28 backpack which is a good but oricey option. it is lifted off your back and has a rigid frame. i used it 1x for commuting, but it was hot so i just put my messenger bag in the ghetto milk crate on my rear rack. I am a bigger fan of lumbar packs these days. A mountainsmith tour has a ton of room. Same for the 'day' model which holds as much as many backpacks. There are tons of other brands too. I have a m'smith kinetic and a tour and use them 99% of the time these days for hikes and biking. ymmv
Old 07-09-19, 06:32 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback. After reading it all over several times I'm inclined to agree that for cycling purposes, pannier -type racks make for more sense and less burden in terms of rider comfort.

Even so, I do need a small, durable day-pack for those occasional outings such as taking the grands to the zoo, or to some other venue, in which I am called up for pack-mule services.

Thanks again to all,

Rick

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 07-10-19, 08:14 PM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BookFinder
Thanks to all for the feedback. After reading it all over several times I'm inclined to agree that for cycling purposes, pannier -type racks make for more sense and less burden in terms of rider comfort.

Even so, I do need a small, durable day-pack for those occasional outings such as taking the grands to the zoo, or to some other venue, in which I am called up for pack-mule services.

Thanks again to all,

Rick
Check out the Sea to Summit ultra-sil day pack. It literally packs into itself and can fit almost anywhere. I took this on a tour last week and highly enjoyed it for getting off the bike and hiking, or just carrying more supplies than I had room for back to camp. They are cheap and really surprisingly comfortable for small weights (I'd say less than 10lbs) https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ultra-sil-day-pack
Old 07-10-19, 10:13 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Racks and panniers are not as practical to keep with you when going to a store or stoping for lunch, plus you also would be carrying extra weight of the rack, bike racks have their own problems, fasteners come loose even on good quality ones, they get in the way of attaching a trailer if they are rear racks, they also get in the way of Fenders if you like the rain protection of tire fenders, etc. Racks and panniers and Trailers all they have their benefits, I use my trailer carrying my recyclables to recycling center weekly, I use racks and panniers for my grocery runs, for commuting and touring I just get on my fastest bicycle with just a lightly loaded small back pack and I go,
Old 07-11-19, 01:16 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
This is my standard setup, for both every day riding, grocery shopping and touring:

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/8229/backpack-panniers/

Backpack is the "default", with one, or two panniers being added as needed.
The backpack I use now is rather large (40 litres I think, was custom built with provided dimensions and brackets, so don't know the exact capacity in litres, just the space ).