Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendations for 29'er x 2-2.25" range...

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-31-19, 09:37 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I am looking for new tires for a 29'er that is going to be running somewhere in the neighborhood of 2"-2.25" range. It will be for a loaded touring bike with lots of road miles but also quite a bit of off road too.

I am currently on SCHWALBE Marathon Mondial Double Defence Tires 700 x 40 and at the tail end of life on them. I am indifferent on them, but also don't have a lot to compare them to when it comes to good quality tires. I wouldn't mind trying something different so a feel for different things and know what to compare them to, if I need to do that at all. I was wondering if some folks wouldn't mind throwing out there a few top tires choices in that range that other's have used, can comment on, and can suggest.

This is a tire that has been recommended: https://planetcyclery.com/schwalbe-m...SABEgLfvfD_BwE

That tire seems a lot like what I am use to though just wider. Although, I am thinking I should grab those for the price alone. I haven't seen them that cheap.

I have also heard someone mention Schwalbe G-One this: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-rea...-allround.html

Then someone else made a suggestion for WTB Ranger this: https://www.wtb.com/products/ranger

I have never toured fully weighted and don't really know exactly what I want from a tire. The bike is a Surly Ogre, so it's not a typical touring bike like a Disc Trucker. The bike is being built similar to this: https://www.cyclingabout.com/custom-...ing-bike-2019/

What tires would you throw on it if you were going to tour and do a combination of both road and off road? I live in Colorado and would like to explore the Rocky Mountains more and even thinking of doing things like the Colorado Trail. So I need something I can depend on to cover both terrains. The marathon Mondials are good on the road and dry surfaces, but not good when you hit the slightest sand or slippery surfaces. I am hoping a lot of those more troublesome spots will be eliminate by going to a 29 x 2"-ish range alone.

I am curious what other folks would suggest I look at, or maybe what was mentioned might be best. Trying to figure that out and need to put an order in soon so please help.

I could use some tire recommendation to go look at and also tire size. 2", 2.1", 2.2", or 2.25"...do I or should I care between the different sizes? I was leaning towards a 2" tire for the amount of road miles I do.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-31-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 08:46 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Look for a low profile knobby, I run 29 x 3" on my Surly Krampus. Specalized XR2 , or my favorite brand, Maxxis. Maxxis and Surly both make some sort of smooth type wider tires. I always favor wider tires for the worst case situation. 2.3 to 2.5 would fit the bill. Off road like singletrack? Cactus or thorns? Running tubeless? Just gravel roads? Look at say the maxxis pace or minion ss. The other one I would recommend is the Surly Extra terrestrial, sort of flat siping, 29x 2.5, beefy build.

Last edited by Leebo; 08-01-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 09:11 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have a wider, 26" Ranger on the front of my Troll. It rolls pretty well on pavement, but I haven't used it for loaded touring, and I don't know that I'd want something that knobby in the rear if were going to be spending a lot of time on pavement. I ran Almotions for a few years. They worked fine, but I found them to be pretty stiff with unnecessarily heavy puncture protection given that I was running them tubeless. They gave me no problems, though, until I wanted to replace them, at which point one of them refused to let go of the rim. Still, while it was showing some wear, I probably could have kept going for a while on it. I switched to some Compass tires recently. They feel amazing to ride on. Everything the Almotion was not. However they have very little tread, and might not be ideal off-road. And I've done no touring on them, only riding around town, so I have no idea if the pleasant ride characteristics remain when they're weighted down, nor do I know how well they will wear. There is 700 x 55 tire that falls in your size range.
Old 08-01-19, 06:37 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
Teravail Sparwood, 29 x 2.2
Old 08-02-19, 02:08 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
The other one I would recommend is the Surly Extra terrestrial, sort of flat siping, 29x 2.5, beefy build.
Surly says max tire size with fenders won't do 2.5" so the ET's are a no go. That doesn't mean they won't work, just not spec'd that way. I will look at the other ones now. Thanks.
Old 08-02-19, 02:11 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
They worked fine, but I found them to be pretty stiff with unnecessarily heavy puncture protection given that I was running them tubeless.
I didn't really think about that when it comes to having tubeless. That does open things up a little. I am on the end of Marathon Mondial double defense now, and I didn't find them to be so defensive. I was running it with tubes and I had quite a few punctures from day one. Off road on hard packed they are fine, but softer stuff not so fun.
Old 08-02-19, 02:13 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Teravail Sparwood, 29 x 2.2
OK...why? Compared to....?

https://teravail.com/tires/sparwood
Old 08-02-19, 02:17 AM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I have 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my tourer now and they are incredible. Smooth and fast. Definitely more road oriented, but I kind of figure that with a loaded touring bike, even when I'm on dirt roads and light trails I'm not going to be throwing the bike into turns hard enough to need serious knobbies. When I replaced some tires on tour in South America the only tires I could find in that width and wheel size were real mountain bike tires. I was glad to get back to a more civilized tire selection and make the switch to something more appropriate for my bike.

My bike originally came with Vittoria Evolution tires equipped and I really liked those as well. They only come in 29x1.9 though, so a bit narrower than you want. Price is right though, and the ones I had lasted forever.
Likes For DanBell:
Old 08-02-19, 02:35 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Off road like singletrack? Cactus or thorns? Running tubeless? Just gravel roads?
Mostly road miles, lots of them, but there is quite a bit of off road. Lot of fire road kind of stuff, but I do single track climbing at times also. I would say maybe a 70/30 split. That may change to a more 50/50 or 60/40 for a while, but there will always be tons of road miles.

Tubeless is the current plans. It's a new bike build and looking at wheel set now. I can do whatever I want pretty much.
Old 08-02-19, 02:51 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I know I said that I wanted to try something different, but I can get a set of the Scwalbe Almotion for $100 bucks right now price matched on that site. That seems super cheap deal for those tires, almost too good to walk away right now.
Old 08-02-19, 03:08 AM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
FWIW, the rolling resistance guy got good results from the Almotion.
Old 08-02-19, 10:05 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Couple more to throw into the mix:

Continental Race King Fold ProTection Bike Tire

Teravail Sparwood (although this one might be too beefy for lots of road miles, but it sure would be nice to have something like that off road).

Surly ExtraTerrestrial (although max tire size on bike is 2.5 and that's cutting it close with fenders, and I don't know if you are just getting "too big" of a tire to really tour on)

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-02-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 10:14 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Removed.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-02-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 10:22 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
FWIW, the rolling resistance guy got good results from the Almotion.
I kind of ruled the Almotion's out. They aren't know for traction the moment it gets slippery after doing some reading up on them.

I think I have at least 4 tires I would rather have now after reading for a while on them. I don't like getting into sketchy spots, a little sand, etc.. and feeling like I am on ice suddenly. The goal was to go up in tire size to get away from a lot of that being on 700 x 40 mondials. I think I want to get away from the Schwalbe and try something completely different so I have something to compare to.
Old 08-02-19, 04:52 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I kind of ruled the Almotion's out. They aren't know for traction the moment it gets slippery after doing some reading up on them.

I think I have at least 4 tires I would rather have now after reading for a while on them. I don't like getting into sketchy spots, a little sand, etc.. and feeling like I am on ice suddenly. The goal was to go up in tire size to get away from a lot of that being on 700 x 40 mondials. I think I want to get away from the Schwalbe and try something completely different so I have something to compare to.
I actually really want those Almotion's for the road miles the more I absorb all this and look at them. They just don't seem to be very good off road or in bad conditions at all and I think that is too much of a pill to swallow for me, but they sound awesome on the road!
Old 08-02-19, 05:06 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
From what I can gather, these are the tires that will work from Schwalbe in the 2"-2.5" range available.

MARATHON ALMOTION
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion Tire, 29x2.0 Tubeless, Folding Bead with Dynamic

MARATHON PLUS MTB HS 468
11101025 54-622 (29 x 2.10) SmartGuard Dual Black-Reflex $62.00
11101334 57-622 (29 x 2.25) SmartGuard Dual Black-Reflex $62.00

SCHWALBE G-ONE ALLROUND
11600955 57-622 (29 x 2.25) SnakeSkin, TL Easy OneStar Black $80.00

SCHWALBE G-ONE SPEED
EVOLUTION LINE, FOLDING BEAD
11600996 50-622 (29 x 2.00) SnakeSkin, TL Easy OneStar Black $80.00
11600974 60-622 (29 x 2.35) LiteSkin OneStar Black $80.00 Expand
11600975 60-622 (29 x 2.35) SnakeSkin, TL Easy OneStar Black $80.00

SCHWALBE G-ONE BITE
11601098 50-622 (29 X 2.0) SnakeSkin, TL Easy OneStar Black $84.00
Old 08-02-19, 05:28 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Mostly road miles, lots of them, but there is quite a bit of off road. Lot of fire road kind of stuff, but I do single track climbing at times also. I would say maybe a 70/30 split. That may change to a more 50/50 or 60/40 for a while, but there will always be tons of road miles.

Tubeless is the current plans. It's a new bike build and looking at wheel set now. I can do whatever I want pretty much.
Just built up a set of race face arc 40 mm id to go with my Krampus. DT swiss 350 hubs, 180 rotors ( 2) and the new dual piston Shimano XT 8020 brakes, great stuff there. Tires are very personal choice. Mt biker background. I would rather pedal than push due to conditions. Did 220 miles over 5 days bikepacking in VT after july 4th. 65 + lb rig, 29x 3" tires on the krampus. Running maxxis chronicles, a sort of low profile, flat knobby. Lots of dirt road, some bike path, some paved and a bit of REALLY chunky off road, dirt, logs, big rocks and hub deep mud. It's always a compromise. I would rather have too much tire than not enough. But that's just me. VT dirt roads are " variable" Smooth and fast, wash board, loose marbles over hard pack, mud, loose gravel, pot holes, and silty loose corners. Some of that all in the same day. Was doing 40 mph on the backside of Lincoln gap. Center of the road is usually smoothest, until the pickup coming the other way says otherwise, he moves right, as do I. Now I'm on soft dirt with loose gravel everywhere, at speed. 2 wheel drifting a bit, tires worked well. Go with a sort of smooth tread or low profile knobby, my 2 cents. Check out bikepacking .com. Lots of great insights for riders in our exact type riding conditions. Cheers.
Old 08-02-19, 05:46 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Running maxxis chronicles, a sort of low profile, flat knobby.
I have been looking at those tires off and on all night. I really like those tires of all the tires I have seen if I was back country Colorado. How do you think those tires would do on a weighted bike, with tons of road miles too? Ultimately, it would be more road miles than back country, but as often as I can, I want to have the option to take that beaten path.

Check out bikepacking .com.
Lots of great insights for riders in our exact type riding conditions. Cheers.
Lots of inspiration and information has come from that site over time. I haven't looked at it in a while and forgot about the maps. Thanks.
Old 08-02-19, 11:53 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well I have certainly come full circle on this...as for tubeless with Schwalbe in that range (2-2.5), the only tires you can really use is the Almotion, the G-1's, and the marathon supreme which is awful off road.

So if I want to run tubeless, stay with Schwalbe which Colorado goat heads are screaming in my soul I should do, it's either a great over the road tire but not so hot off road with Almotion, the Marathon Supreme isn't even an option for how slick it is and not for off-road, or the G-1's which actually are descent in most categories except longevity/life. Seems they are kind of known to shred down fast.

I also purchased a 29'er wheel set today and starting to have slight buyers remorse that I didn't get a 27.5" wheel set instead. I saw a guy tonight with a 2.5 Extra Terrestrial on a 29'er and the bike looked like it was on balloons I was so not use to it. I know that's too big for me. I want to stay down in the 2" to 2.2" range.

I am leaning back on the Almotions now just because nothing else is grabbing me and meets all my needs.
Old 08-03-19, 08:15 AM
Leebo

There is only 1/2 " difference between 2 and 2.5. A smooth slick is not what you want for off road, imho. It's not going to be a fast ride, you coming from a road background? Tire compound and psi will make a big difference too. Look at some race tires with low profile knobbies. New England guy here. No goad heats but lots of thorns and sharp rocks to deal with. Maxxis 100% for me. The other thing with bigger tires is that it takes the edge off the bumps. So many options in the 2.2 to 2.5 or so. What wheel set did you go with?
Old 08-03-19, 12:48 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It's not going to be a fast ride, you coming from a road background?
Not exactly, but yes. I am on 700 x 40c tires and do fire roads and single track on that. I have been on mountain bikes for commuting most of my life, but not serious mountain biking in the context of mountain biking definition. I do mountain biking but on 700 x 40 c tires. I climb to the top of this all the time: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-go...-37636288.html So I guess it depends on your definition of mountain biking. There is a city way off in the background that I do tons of road miles first, to even get to the point of doing any real mountain biking. That's just the foothills no less. We haven't even gotten to the mountains yet. That's the beauty of getting out of New England and having 320+ sunny days a year to ride in. Then again, we don't get the incredible autumn's or Springs you all get to ride in either though. But you can keep your mosquito and humid nights and I will take the Rocky Mountains any day!

Tire compound and psi will make a big difference too. Look at some race tires with low profile knobbies.
Doing that now.

No goad heats but lots of thorns and sharp rocks to deal with.

Sharp rocks and goat heads. I am a magnet for goat heads. I have nightmares about goat heads.

Maxxis 100% for me.

Between you and someone else, I think you all just talked me into Maxxis Ardent which I was looking at all night last night. I actually want to pull the trigger on these, but I am really worried that touring with full panniers on any type of knob, when in theory, I will be doing mostly road miles, is just bugging me psychologically, especially coming from tons of miles on Schwalbe Marathon Mondials for so long now. It's why I came back around on the Almotion, but the Almotions look even slicker than the Mondials and one of the main reasons I went up to the 29'er was to be able to tackle those tricky spots better and the extra stability or rolling over stuff.

The other thing with bigger tires is that it takes the edge off the bumps.

Hope so...I am coming from a hardtail and already losing front suspension.

So many options in the 2.2 to 2.5 or so. What wheel set did you go with?

29er Velocity Cliffhangers, Saprim spokes and nipples, SP Dynamo on front, Shimano XT rear hub, 36 holes. It's based off this guy Alee's article: https://www.cyclingabout.com/custom-...ing-bike-2019/

I will admit, I am having some second doubts after seeing a Bridge Club with 27.5 x 2.4 next to a 29 x 2.5 set of ET's last night. I am going to try not to call the guy by Monday morning slamming the breaks on telling him that I want the build on 27.5" rims instead of 700/29er, and still do everything else we talk about either way. But I think long term for the amount of miles I do, I won't ultimately be happy on the 27.5 when I am turning a lot of road miles. But again, I honestly don't know. I can only go off the wisdom of the collective information I have read about over time, combined with my own experience.

I can do anywhere from a 2" up to a 2.5" per Surly's recommendations. I saw someone with a Surly ECR last night with ET's on it, so 29 x 2.5 and it looked like balloons sitting next to a Surly Bridge Club with 27.5 x 2.4" on it. It looked just ridiculously big, and then my bike was laying there with 700 x 40. I panicked when I saw that. I was thinking originally at purchase I was going to stick to a 2" tire. If I get the Almotions, I would get either 2" or 2.15". If I get the Maxxis, I don't know what size to get. If I am going with a tire with some knobs on it in some capacity, then I will rely on the extra cushion of the wheels and go with something slightly bigger. but I don't think I want to go any bigger than 2.25 at this point. But again, no experience around this to know what feels good. I am more focused on finding a sweet spot of off and on road, so that I can take it weighted touring and take path less traveled, or head up into the hills unweighted and be content with off road. Then be able to jump on the same bike, and ride 50 miles all bike paths in metro Denver.

If I stay local for a while and only focus on Colorado riding, then I eventually I will build another wheel set of 27.5 x 3" for when I know I want to go into the hills and have more control, and then take the 29'er on 2" slicker tires like the Almotions for when I am sticking to more roads. The problem for me is, that I never do one thing. I am always combining it and budgeted. I wasn't joking earlier...I can do 30 miles round trip on road miles just to get to the mountain biking and start to have fun. I also have a little while (2 weeks) before the wheel set arrives so I don't have to pull the trigger on tires today, but I would kind of like this process to finally be over. It's the last thing I am sitting on the fence about outside of how I am setting up the front end exactly on pannier/rack, but that decision will be made last when I know what I am doing exactly; and whether I am just staying local and doing back country CO or heading out into the world to see the rest of it via a bike for myself). Everything else bike related is either here or on it's way, and I would like for this stage of the decision making to finally be over and settled so it's behind me already. I will probably have buyers remorse either way between the Almotions and the Maxxis depending on what terrain I am on at the moment. Is what it is.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-03-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 03:26 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
These are some that fit my wheel set size from Maxxim:

Rambler https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-512-139-rambler
TB00172600 700X50C 50-622 120 FOLDABLE 597 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black DIRT ROAD/GRAVEL

Ardent Race https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-465-140-ardent-race
TB96742000 29X2.20 56-622 120 FOLDABLE 670 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96742100 29X2.20 56-622 120 FOLDABLE 720 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96726100 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 745 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96726000 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 695 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/TR Black MOUNTAIN

Aspen https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-280-140-aspen
TB96689000 29X2.10 52-622 120 FOLDABLE 565 DUAL 65 - Black MOUNTAIN
TB96895500 29X2.25 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 645 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96895400 29X2.25 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 585 DUAL 60 TR Black MOUNTAIN

Crossmark II https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...0-crossmark-ii
TB96752100 29X2.10 53-622 60 FOLDABLE 700 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96752000 29X2.10 53-622 60 FOLDABLE 655 DUAL 60 TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96795100 29X2.25 57-622 60 FOLDABLE 780 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96795000 29X2.25 57-622 60 FOLDABLE 730 DUAL 60 TR Black MOUNTAIN

Icon https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-278-140-ikon
TB96646100 29X2.00 50-622 120 FOLDABLE 605 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96646000 29X2.00 50-622 120 FOLDABLE 560 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96753100 29X2.20 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 530 3C MAXX SPEED 65 3C Black MOUNTAIN
TB96753000 29X2.20 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 595 3C MAXX SPEED 65 3C/EXO Black MOUNTAIN
TB96753400 29X2.20 57-662 120 FOLDABLE 570 DUAL 65 - Black MOUNTAIN
TB96753300 29X2.20 57-662 60 FOLDABLE 590 DUAL 65 - Black MOUNTAIN
TB96753200 29X2.20 57-662 60 WIRE 655 DUAL 65 - Black MOUNTAIN
TB96740000 29X2.20 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 580 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96740100 29X2.20 57-622 120 FOLDABLE 640 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96740700 29X2.20 57-622 60 FOLDABLE 685 3C 60 EXO/TR Skinwall MOUNTAIN
TB00119500 29X2.20 57-622 60 FOLDABLE 690 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Skinwall MOUNTAIN
TB96740800 29X2.20 57-622 60 FOLDABLE 625 DUAL 60 TR Skinwall MOUNTAIN
TB96729000 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 660 3C MAXX SPEED 65 3C Black MOUNTAIN
TB96729100 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 725 3C MAXX SPEED 65 3C/EXO Black MOUNTAIN
TB96731100 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 740 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96731000 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 695 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96731400 29X2.35 60-622 120 FOLDABLE 995 3C MAXX TERRA 60 3C/TR/DD Black MOUNTAIN

Pace https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-482-140-pace
TB96667100 29X2.10 53-622 60 FOLDABLE 605 SINGLE 65 - Black MOUNTAIN
TB96764100 29X2.10 53-622 60 FOLDABLE 650 DUAL 60 EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN
TB96764000 29X2.10 53-622 60 FOLDABLE 610 DUAL 60 TR Black MOUNTAIN

Found this too: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Th...res-Guide,1928 (this is dated to 2017 so doesn't have newer stuff on it)

From PDF:

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-03-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 08:54 AM
Leebo

Got with something that has the EXO casing. Don't get analysis paralysis. As said , for me, bigger is better when it comes to tires. New bike? Have you ridden a 29er plus bike loaded, on dirt trails? Something other than a gravel road? My loaded Krampus was at least 65 lbs. Me? 235 on a good day. The psi on a 40 mm tire would be so high as to not have any cush to prevent pinch flats. As said, post this up on Bikepacking.com. will get some user experience feedback.
Old 08-05-19, 05:01 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
New bike?
Yes. New build.

Have you ridden a 29er plus bike loaded, on dirt trails?
No.

Something other than a gravel road?
I haven't ridden a bike fully weighted on anything yet. I know what to expect with a bike weighted in the back, but not fully weighted, including the front end.

Majority of my miles will be road. I know that. I just take a lot of off road too.

Don't get analysis paralysis
Most of my analysis paralysis is coming from riding a bike fully weighted with any type of knobs on it. It wouldn't be a bikepacking setup, at least not in the rear, ortlieb panniers. The front I am still not sure if it will be a flat rack with stuff on top or panniers there as well.
Old 08-05-19, 01:48 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Also, I pulled the plug on my wheel build today until I get this worked out.

Building a long term wheel build is easy logistically, but it's harder than I thought. And it keeps getting more and more expensive. In order to have them built so they are Thru Axle but can convert to QR to fit the Surly Ogre, it just got $250 more expensive. So what went from what I was hoping for on a really good deal at $500 for the build, just became over almost $800 when all is said and done.

FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY
DRILLINGS - 36
RIM VELOCITY CLIFFHANGER NMSW 700C BLACK RIM $83.00
700c/29er Tubeless Tape and Valve for 1 wheel Installed (Not available as Rim Only) + $11.00
HUB
SHUTTER PRECISION PD8 (ALL AXLE TYPES) DYNAMO ISO 6 BOLT DISC BLACK $139.00
Thru Axle Front 15x100mm PD-8X + $90.00
Salsa Stainless Black Single QUICK RELEASE ONLY NO THRU AXLE + $22.00
SPOKES - SAPIM LEADER J BEND BLACK 14G OR 2.0MM SPOKES $0.78
LACING PATTERN
Four Cross
NIPPLES - SAPIM POLYAX 14MM 14 GAUGE BLACK LOCKING BRASS NIPPLE $0.25
WEIGHT - 1361.48 grams
PRICE $382.08

REAR WHEEL SUMMARY
DRILLINGS - 36
RIM VELOCITY CLIFFHANGER NMSW 700C BLACK RIM $83.00
700c/29er
Tubeless Tape and Valve for 1 wheel Installed (Not available as Rim Only) + $11.00
HUB
HOPE PRO 4 REAR BLACK ISO 6 BOLT DISC HUB $260.00
Thru Axle Rear 12x142mm
*Shimano/SRAM 8,9,10 or (ROAD 11spd)
*No Bearing Upgrade
*No Skewer
SPOKES - SAPIM LEADER J BEND BLACK 14G OR 2.0MM SPOKES $0.78
LACING PATTERN - Four Cross
NIPPLES - SAPIM POLYAX 14MM 14 GAUGE BLACK LOCKING BRASS NIPPLE $0.25
WEIGHT 1256.48 grams
PRICE $391.08
Total Price: $773.16
Total Weight: 2,617.96 grams

I am struggling to spend that much on a wheel set for not being 100% on tire size long term, or even if 29'er is ultimately the best bike for me long term. I don't need a Hope hub, but it's the only one I can get that is reliable that can convert to QR. Shimano doesn't do that and nothing else at a cheaper price point will suffice. I am not aware of another hub that can take 36 holes and is as reliable as the Shimano at the cheaper price point.

I can get the same wheel build for about $500, but then it's Quick Release only. It's fine if I knew I was going to be on this bike long term, but if since I am not sure, putting that much money into a wheel set that I am unsure about and losing resale value on it because it is only QR doesn't seem like the best thing to do.

Now I am just thinking of getting a cheap wheel build (maybe even used if need be) and just trying out tires for a while until I find the best sweet spot for myself and then purchase a wheel set when I have those things finalized. But the problem with that idea is that I was planning on getting on the road soon, and I think if I don't have a dynamo hub at that time, I will be miserable trying to figure out where to charge my phone and battery pack all the time. I would rather just have to worry about that for a laptop or something versus worrying about it for everything.

So now I am kind of back to square 1.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-05-19 at 01:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.