Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need to find headlight

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Need to find headlight

Old 08-11-19, 11:32 AM
retroschwinnguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need to find headlight

I really need to find a headlight that is battery powered as it gets dark sometimes on my way to work and I could use some help trying to find one.
Old 08-11-19, 12:14 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Do you ride in the city or on unlit roads? Also, where are you located?
Old 08-11-19, 07:39 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I like these guys! https://www.niterider.com/
Likes For alloo:
Old 08-11-19, 08:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by retroschwinnguy
I really need to find a headlight that is battery powered as it gets dark sometimes on my way to work and I could use some help trying to find one.
Got to Amazon or EBay. Type in “Cree bicycle headlight”. Pick the one that is cheapest and buy 2 (minimum) or 3 (best). Put two on the bars and one on your helmet. All three should cost you $60 or less. If they stop working, get some more.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-11-19, 08:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 2,101 Times in 1,366 Posts
Thanks for the reminder that autumn is coming. I was going to move my 300 lm spot light to my helmet, and put a brighter floodlight on my handlebars.
Old 08-11-19, 08:40 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 88 Posts
Cygolite is my favorite light brand. I have used them for years on a variety of bikes, and they are really good IME.
Old 08-12-19, 08:55 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i use Cygolite as well. I have a Expilion 850 and metro 550.. I also run an Orphos Pro front light in the fall- winter
Old 08-12-19, 10:23 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Thanks for the reminder that autumn is coming. I was going to move my 300 lm spot light to my helmet, and put a brighter floodlight on my handlebars.
Yes, it's time to start thinking more about lights.
Old 08-12-19, 11:42 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 711 Posts
I have on old Piko 3 from Lupine. It has been working for eight years now with no problems. I am still using the original battery. It wasn't cheap, but it works great. I have it mounted to the fork using the light mount from Paul Components, and Lupine's quick release handlebar mount. If it breaks, I will buy another one from Lupine. It is seriously a great light. The light is compact, bright, and more importantly, the beam is properly focussed to be useful.

The updated model from the one I have is the Piko 4, I highly recommend it. Yes, it isn't cheap, but over the years, it has cost me all of $35 a year so far, and it shows no sign of stopping. I paid $275 for mine, and the new one is $350, but I am sure you could get it for less. For night riding it is great. I generally only use low or medium. I rarely have to run it on high. It may not be cheap, but it will last a very long time.

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/i...?cID=0&PID=611
Old 08-12-19, 03:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have Nightrider and Cygolite. Both are high quality.

Just need to decide how much light you want.

I like a little strap on light with a strobe for daytime commuting

For dark riding I strap it to my helmet (Both above have little $25, 450 lumen lights that strap onto just about anything).

When it is dark - a 900lumen Light in Motion is my goto for the handlebars, in addition to the helmet light.

If I need a lot of light I put second 900 lumen on my helmet but that is automotive level lighting. I get a lot of glare from a 900 lumen helmet mounted light, so that is mostly for single track or gravel grinding.

All 3 companies make great lights - I like ones that have a solid and versatile mounting system.
Old 08-12-19, 05:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Last winter as I was commuting on MTB trails in the dark, and really unhappy with my 6yo Cygolite handlebar light seldom shining where it was needed, I asked on MTBR for recommendations. I also wondered how much longer I could expect it to last.

Their tastes tended to the fancy, like wireless handlebar remote for the helmet light. But generally they advised a spotlight on the helmet and flood light on the bars, preferably in matching color (bluish or yellowish). The guy who posts the most had some favorite lights, the one he liked best for the handlebars (Revtronic BT40S) was sold batteries-not-included, or charger, since it takes a pack of higher voltage than USB. It also has no beam cutoff, it's going to give anyone approaching some glare. I also learned that my model of Cygolite has a perfectly standard lithium cell that can be replaced for peanuts if it dies... can't say that for the Hotshot tail light, though.

At the time I bought my Cygolite the Chinese lights had not yet taken over Amazon. They get massive positive feedback because they solicit it; if you look at the 5 star reviews they say things like, "It worked when I took it out of the box, 5 stars!" And if you look at the 1-2 star reviews you see some tales of woe. Average user is surely somewhere in between.

After that was my heart surgery and I stopped thinking about bike lights until just now. Time to shop...

Here's a review thread from that forum
https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...z-1105995.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-12-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 06:43 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by retroschwinnguy
$18...tonight only.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...71120415&ev11=

Seriously. Sale ends tonight.

Might not be the best light ever but for $18 I couldn't pass up the lure to try it out. Mine gets here Friday.

UPDATE: Don't get this one. It sucked. Got it for 80% off and still returned it for being generally useless.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 08-16-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 08:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Huh. I got a compact Nightrider from REI outlet ($25) a few days ago, and its sold out now. Go figure...
Old 08-13-19, 12:36 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Those Cree lights on Amazon are knock-offs of either Gemini or Magicshine bike lights. Few know that the $75 (with battery) MagicShines are themselves knock-off's of a European (German) light called a Lupine Tesla ($450 USD). After years of satisfaction with Magicshines, I said WTH and dropped $25 on an Amazon knock-off. It boasted an 8800mah battery pack (Magicshine has 4400mah). I will not be doing that again! Light had no useful beamwidth, and the blue light signalling 1/2 battery came on after just 10 minutes! Accept no substitutes. Genuine Magicshine for the win.
Old 08-13-19, 01:39 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

I used a Magicshine for about 10 years, and liked the light but not the batteries. I bought a couple of aftermarket battery packs, and never got the run times out of them that they advertised - or even close to them.
Old 08-13-19, 03:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I used a Magicshine for about 10 years, and liked the light but not the batteries. I bought a couple of aftermarket battery packs, and never got the run times out of them that they advertised - or even close to them.
I use Gemini battery packs with my Magicshine lights on the recommendation of the guy who runs 'Action LED'. I don't really pay attention to advertised runtimes. Most likely the runtime is not being calculated on the highest intensity of the light, which is likely the one used most often.
Old 08-13-19, 03:35 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Busch and Muller

This guy has some thoughts on what makes a good headlight. Check Peter White Cycles too. While Mr. White specializes in dynamo lighting, he also has a selection of battery powered LED lamps, and probably able to work with your LBS to get a Busch and Muller lamp. I opted for a Ixon IQ premium to use rechargeable AA's. Fork crown mounts are great for keeping your handlebars clear.
Old 08-13-19, 03:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Got to Amazon or EBay. Type in “Cree bicycle headlight”. Pick the one that is cheapest and buy 2 (minimum) or 3 (best). Put two on the bars and one on your helmet. All three should cost you $60 or less. If they stop working, get some more.
+1

More specifics. I have a light that looks just like this one, except when I bought it it was more like $15 and was a kit including a charger and an 18650 battery. At this price point, expect the lumens to be way overstated. Look for a combo with a charger, but plan on whatever battery they might provide to be crap, and spend another $10-20 on a pair of high quality batteries from a reputable website. I got a pair of these, but that is by no means the only option.

Attach the light to your handlebars with interlocked hose clamps. Tighten them down with a wrench or big screwdriver, and that sucker will not move or vibrate at all, and will probably never get stolen. (at least not opportunistically. of course a thief with tools could take it)
Old 08-13-19, 05:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

By the time I buy a head unit, battery pack and charger I'm up to the price of a 2 beam self contained USB light anyhow. So that's what I'm going to do. Just trying to decide which.
Old 08-13-19, 05:04 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I use Gemini battery packs with my Magicshine lights on the recommendation of the guy who runs 'Action LED'. I don't really pay attention to advertised runtimes. Most likely the runtime is not being calculated on the highest intensity of the light, which is likely the one used most often.
I bought one of my Magicshines from him. I never trusted the advertised runtimes, and the aftermarket battery packs weren't even close to delivering the advertised times.
Old 08-13-19, 05:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
I bought one of those ebay Magicshine clones. Some people here say they work well. But those people seem to tolerate failures and plan for them. My unit came with a dead charger.

That article that @Unca_Sam cited (by John S Allen) is good! Very comprehensive.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-13-19, 10:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
By the time I buy a head unit, battery pack and charger I'm up to the price of a 2 beam self contained USB light anyhow. So that's what I'm going to do. Just trying to decide which.
I’ve only seen one 2 beam self contained USB light and it was $130. That’s a fair amount of scratch for a light that only has a 1000 lumen output. There is also the problem of something happening to the light at which point you have no light.

I’ve bought several lights...some to test and some as “upgrades”...and I’ve not had any problems with batteries or chargers or even the lamp. I’ve purchased larger batteries for more run time but I still use the batteries that came with the other units.

I also have a couple of USB 1100 lumen (per light) Nightriders and I can’t say that I’m all the pleased with them. They are bright but the light is so floody as to be mostly useless. I prefer a tighter spot...which is why I “test” lights occasionally.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-13-19, 10:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I'll still have the original 300 light, now moved to my helmet.

This is the 2-element light I was looking at, from that MTBR thread.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LF9Y1DF1&psc=1

The reviewer also liked these two, which have a feature to keep the brightness constant
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GHL8F7T8&psc=1 (obligatory Cygolite)

All about the same $60-ish
Old 08-14-19, 03:19 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I found some footage...

Isn't this you getting to work in the morning, @cyccommute?
Old 08-14-19, 08:56 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,507 Posts
??
$12.99 + 2*$7.95 + S/H << $60

USB charging is a nice feature, but if it dies out on the road you're stuck. For my front I have a spare 18650 battery to swap in. My rear blinkie is a cygolite hotshot, that's USB chargeable but it needs charging less than monthly, and it lets me know when it wants charging when I turn it off, and I have a couple days grace to get it done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.