Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

mountain derailleur

Old 10-20-06, 08:04 PM
AdamAntium03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mountain derailleur

I have a bianchi axis an older model and i have xt in the back, whats are the advantages of road derailleurs is it just the lighter weight and the lighter cassette, should i consider switching everything works great so i have a hard time wanting to change anything, I like high cadences and with a 110mm bcp crankset i think i'd have a harder time finding chainrings to keep my high gear ratios
Old 10-21-06, 08:55 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Fellow Axis owner

I have an 03 Axis with an XT rear/ultegra front der. I have a friend with a Cross Veloce, and I have ridden his bike quite often---he has the Campy parts. I didn't notice a huge improvement. Besides they look similar with an inch of mud on them!
Old 10-21-06, 02:37 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an XT (will replace with a Durace) RD on my cross bike. The advantage to a road der. is chain slack. With a short cage RD, you can run less chain links, reducing the chance of chain suck.
Old 10-24-06, 09:27 AM
trick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mountain derailleur allows for a wider gear range in back, or so I'm told. I also suspect (but have not looked up numbers to prove it) that the mountain parts are cheaper, as I've most frequently seen that setup on lower-priced CX bikes (ie Axis, TriCross Sport).

Not that there's anything wrong with it, though. One of the best (and fastest) bikes I've ever ridden was had an XTR in back, Dura-Ace in front. And Sora STI brifters. But it worked, and well. (and, no, it wasn't mine)
Old 10-24-06, 11:00 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What trick said. Don't get hung up on mtn vs road derailleurs. A lot of it will depend upon what gear range you want to run and whether you have a double or a triple crank.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but a believe a short cage RD has a 27t limit...
Old 10-24-06, 11:38 AM
CaptMatt15
Double Secret Member

Bikes: 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin, 2007 Redline Conquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im pretty sure you're right on flipped, i've got a short cage w/ a 25 and it wont take much more - so i think 27 is its biggest allowable.

the reason that people go to mtn rears from long cage road rears is capacity, so it can take up the chain slack from a huge drop in chainring size or if they are running like a 11-32 or something cassette
Old 10-24-06, 12:30 PM
outofthesaddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but a believe a short cage RD has a 27t limit.."

Pretty close. A 27 is the largest "road" cassette that Shimano makes but a short cage derailleur will handle a 28 for sure and I've heard that you can run a 30 if you're careful about shifting (no big - big combo).
Old 11-04-06, 02:32 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to run a 28 tooth sprocket on my MTB with an Ultegra shortcage rear mech without any problems. Also I have no problems running a 28 sprocket on my cross bikes with Campag Veloce or mirage rear mechs