Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas! All my folders were stolen overnight

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 03:16 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

That's right, my Raleigh 20, and two cheap Taiwanese folder, all stolen from my shed during the night. At least I hadn't done all my 20 upgrades yet. I guess I'm going to be looking for a new 20
Old 12-25-07, 03:39 AM
cyclistjohn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merry Christmas.

Maybe you're getting a new bike for Christmas? :-)

Are you visible from the road going in & out of the shed, or was it just opportunistic?

Adam Hart-Davis had his bikes pinched recently from an outside shed I think, even though he had some special locks bolted to his shed.

Very sad at Christmas time. I've even read cases where thieves had stolen children's toys.

Good luck in finding a replacement 20.
Old 12-25-07, 03:45 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have quite a few old bikes around the garden, plus I had 10 matching old single-speeds that I bought on eBay, 4 of which went too. I guess that attracted them, and the shed was too tempting not to break into. Could've been worse, the bikes that are worth money are in the garage. At least they didn't get my EG Bates track bike! Still, it's not what you want on Christmas morning.
Old 12-25-07, 08:21 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
How horrible. People are just terrible today. My commuter was parked at the train station and someone took a knife and put holes in my tires destroying the sidewall. I had to replace both tubes and the rear tire. I always tell people on the forum to hide their bikes but this time I did the same and left it exposed on the sidewalk. I've learned my lesson.

I still hope you find your bikes someday.
Old 12-25-07, 08:53 AM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer. My sympathy on your loss!
Old 12-25-07, 09:00 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you find them again.
Old 12-25-07, 10:27 AM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a house that is always gorgeously illuminated at this time of year here. A few weeks ago they stole all the lights.
Old 12-25-07, 11:27 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel for you. Only thing worse was the phone call from my wife's sister this morning, reporting the bleak Christmas at their house. She put all the gifts out in the back of her SUV to keep them from being seen by the kids, and of course someone snatched them.
Old 12-25-07, 11:38 AM
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
That's right, my Raleigh 20, and two cheap Taiwanese folder, all stolen from my shed during the night. At least I hadn't done all my 20 upgrades yet. I guess I'm going to be looking for a new 20
Ugh... that's awful. I bet it was Arthur "Two-Sheds" Jackson that did it.
Old 12-25-07, 12:55 PM
sahadev
Still moving forward.

Bikes: BF NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I for one have enjoyed the enthusiasm you've shown for the owning, riding and, especially, rebuilding of your bikes. Thieves can never take that away from you. Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-25-07, 01:47 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thankyou all - I'll be finding another 20 - the project WILL be completed!
Old 12-25-07, 02:21 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bummer dude. Is there any hope that the culprits will be caught?

Good luck on the next project.
Old 12-25-07, 02:57 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Little, but some. The 4 matching bikes they stole were Dawes single speeds which belonged previously to the Atomic Weapons Establishment. In addition the the easily removable "Property of the AWE" stickers, they had Dawes remove the D and the S from their logo, so they're all marked AWE on the downtube. If they try the local pawnshops, we'll 'ave them. It's really only my 20 I'm gutted about.
Old 12-25-07, 03:27 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Little, but some. The 4 matching bikes they stole were Dawes single speeds which belonged previously to the Atomic Weapons Establishment. In addition the the easily removable "Property of the AWE" stickers, they had Dawes remove the D and the S from their logo, so they're all marked AWE on the downtube. If they try the local pawnshops, we'll 'ave them. It's really only my 20 I'm gutted about.
Let's hope that they remain unaware and are identified when they try to sell the bikes.
Old 12-25-07, 10:01 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
My condolences.. If it were me I'd be checking out cycling friends who would know the value of the bikes and knew where and how you kept them. Second, I'd scope out neighborhood kids who may be riding new-to-them bikes.

I feel your pain on the Twenty. I've been keeping an eye on E-bay for the past couple weeks and they're selling for between $230 for rather tattered and $375 on the top end. About $75 to $100 higher than the last Twenty I won on E-bay.
Old 12-25-07, 10:32 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
My condolences..
+1
So sorry to hear that; it is a terrible act during especially during the holidays.

There's a number of good Bike Security threads, like the ones below:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=bike+security
Old 12-26-07, 05:59 AM
Simple Simon
Life in Mono

Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 .. total bummer, some sad tea-leaf tw*ts about !
Old 12-26-07, 12:21 PM
saanichbc
Hello from Canuckistan!

Bikes: Surly LHT, natch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damned!

I'm sorry to hear that.

I hope whoever stole it is riding it down some steep fast hill and a wheel lets go, sending them over the side into a deep ditch with them ending up with a couple of spokes sticking straight out of their ......

Hope you find another nice one very soon!!

Old 12-26-07, 11:38 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Luckily you are here in blighty and can pick up another for pennies. Hopefully this will be the case at least.
Old 12-27-07, 05:08 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fingers crossed! eBay is a bit of a desert at the moment, but it should pick up in Jan.
Old 12-27-07, 06:01 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a bummer - I know just how it feels having had two mountain bikes taken from a locked garage, a locked Brompton taken from TCR in Central London, and in just the last year, further two bikes stolen from the street, one from a designated safe location covered by video, and the other, a Puch Pic-Nic, specifically bought because I thought it would be of no interest to any self respecting bike thief. Obviously there is no such thing as a self respecting bike thief ! When the garage was broken into, they went down the service road witha van, and opened up 20 or so garages, and took what they fancied. A family a few doors down had their bikes taken, all except for the young daughters, and did she howl and wail, ''What's wrong with my bike - why did they leave it behind - see I told you it was no good & I never liked it'' !!
Old 12-27-07, 03:33 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sammy, what a terrible thing to happen . I'm sending bad karma out to the thieves .

Here's hoping that you get the bikes back.

East Hill
Old 12-28-07, 05:05 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've found the perfect bike on eBay, but it's in the Midlands, and he won't ship. It's going for a fiver, because it's missing the toggle chain, has damaged spokes, and other issues, but none of that is relevant to me, since I only want the frame, fork, bars and stem. I've asked him about posting, but we'll see. I don't hold out a lot of hope.
Old 12-28-07, 02:11 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See if you can get him to meet you half way?
h
Old 12-28-07, 02:43 PM
Iffacus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found the perfect bike on eBay, but it's in the Midlands, and he won't ship. It's going for a fiver, because it's missing the toggle chain, has damaged spokes, and other issues, but none of that is relevant to me, since I only want the frame, fork, bars and stem. I've asked him about posting, but we'll see. I don't hold out a lot of hope.
Where abouts in the Midlands is it as I regulary travel to the Southampton area for work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.