Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Campsites on Orange County coast?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 11:34 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

Hi!

I had a hip operation on monday, it's two and half months 'til I leave for California which is just enough rehab time to get into bike touring shape, but is still cutting it a bit close...

Thus I'll be taking it slow and gentle, starting off from LAX heading south to San Diego then into the deserts. I've checked my route roughly against campsites and state parks, and the only stretch still keeping me scratching my head is for my first night south of LA....

Any tips? San Clemente may be too far, so somewhere inbetweenish would be good...

Last time I was on the west coast I slept on the beaches... this was 30 years ago... From what I gather this wouldn't be so sensible nowadays (would it?)... Oh and I'm 30 years older aswell! hihi... I still stealth camp but the allure of hot showers does pull me into organized campsites more and more these days.

Thanks!

Last edited by imi; 11-06-09 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 11:56 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Clemente is as close as you will get from LAX. You are better off stopping at a hotel or asking someone on couchsurfing or warmshowers if they can accommodate you for a night.
Old 11-06-09, 12:03 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Thanks travelmama... Yeah it's 65 miles, which is normally a regular day's ride for me... maybe I'm worrying it too much right now ... With an early start I should be ok
Old 11-07-09, 02:09 PM
ryandood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can sleep on the beach here (OC). Its illegal but honestly the police aren't going to scour the beaches looking for you so if you're even slightly out of the way, then you're likely fine. This beach-sleeping does vary from beach to beach though as some are far more visible from the street or paths, etc.

In terms of camping in Orange County coastline; I can only think of San Clemente and Doheny State Park which is only maybe 20-30 minutes north (city of Dana Point) of San Clemente. I hope this helps.

BTW, If I were to ride from OC to SD, I'd just sleep on the beach but thats me.
Old 11-07-09, 02:28 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I've ridden from Santa Monica to South Laguna Beach several times. It is 70 miles or so.

Figure that it is about the same distance from Santa Monica to LAX as it is from Laguna Beach to San Clemente State Park.

These aren't particularly hard miles. I ride down the Beach Bike Path to Palos Verdes and then head over the headlands. Once over those, it is pretty much flat.

Here is my most recent journal posting for the Santa Monica to Long Beach part. Here is my most recent journal posting for the Long Beach to South Laguna Beach segment.

While it seems doable, you might want to make sure you have enough day time and energy to do that distance after getting off a trans-Atlantic flight.

For an intermediate stop, check couchsurfing.org . There's got to be lots of possible hosts between LAX and Laguna Beach.

Ray
Old 11-08-09, 07:29 AM
imi
aka Timi

Thanks for your advice everyone...

Things may have worked out with the most generous offer from a fellow BF member

I'm being disciplined with my rehab exercises and in a couple of weeks should be on an indoor trainer...
Dreaming of California keeps me smiling
Old 11-08-09, 07:40 AM
bobframe

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
imi,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I can't think of a smarter way to rehab than by setting a goal to do a bike tour on a date certain. It will give you a strong motivation to train. I'll bet you are spinning those cranks in no time :-)
Old 11-08-09, 08:38 AM
imi
aka Timi

Thank you for those kind words bobframe!
Old 11-08-09, 08:52 AM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryandood
You can sleep on the beach here (OC). Its illegal but honestly the police aren't going to scour the beaches looking for you so if you're even slightly out of the way, then you're likely fine. This beach-sleeping does vary from beach to beach though as some are far more visible from the street or paths, etc.

In terms of camping in Orange County coastline; I can only think of San Clemente and Doheny State Park which is only maybe 20-30 minutes north (city of Dana Point) of San Clemente. I hope this helps.

BTW, If I were to ride from OC to SD, I'd just sleep on the beach but thats me.

Um, ya, I'm going to sort of disagree with you there.

Moot point for the OP, but for other people-

While the police and people in Northern/Central LA counties might turn a blind eye to "vagrants/hippies/etc." sleeping on the beach, this is not the case anywhere from Newport South. The people don't want bums around their high value properties, and someone will likely call to report you if they see you, which is almost guaranteed. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a bum on the beach? Not very common.

Plus, any of the beaches that offer some sort of cover with cliffs have a long walk down the cliff. Then you're lugging the bike through the sand, which depending on the weight of the bike, can be really hard.
Old 11-08-09, 08:10 PM
ryandood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom1

Um, ya, I'm going to sort of disagree with you there.

Moot point for the OP, but for other people-

While the police and people in Northern/Central LA counties might turn a blind eye to "vagrants/hippies/etc." sleeping on the beach, this is not the case anywhere from Newport South. The people don't want bums around their high value properties, and someone will likely call to report you if they see you, which is almost guaranteed. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a bum on the beach? Not very common.

Plus, any of the beaches that offer some sort of cover with cliffs have a long walk down the cliff. Then you're lugging the bike through the sand, which depending on the weight of the bike, can be really hard.
I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement.

I live in south orange county and frequent the beach areas (Newport, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, San Clemente area) and frequent the beaches at night. So long as you're not easily visible, you're more than likely fine sleeping on the sand. Yes, people don't want your stinky ass next to their homes but most won't see you unless you intentionally plop yourself in plain view.

Its actually legal to sleep on the beach in Laguna Beach now!! You have to be homeless but hey!, maybe you can pass for that, haha.

I do agree that it'd be a major PITA to haul your bike through the sand though.
Old 11-09-09, 04:57 AM
imi
aka Timi

yepp, I know all about hauling a fully loaded bike through sand, having done a number of tours around the mediteranenan and sleeping on the beaches... and about cleaning sand out of the drivetrain the morning after hihi

For me there's nowhere more beautiful to sleep than on a beach, a starlit night, the sound of gentle waves... oops off dreaming again