Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breathable Jacket

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Breathable Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 06:10 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Breathable Jacket

Recently, I bought a nice breathable jacket for commuting. I got it from a large mail order retailer and they promised it was not only breathable but waterproof and quite warm (down to 0 degrees F.) On my first ride I decided to go a little longer and I noticed the top of my pants was soaked with perspiration. Rather than wicking through the many layers as it should have, it just soaked everything. Talking to customer service was an eye-opening experience. "No one makes truly breathable jackets that warm," said the customer rep. "either they breathe and they don't keep you warm, or you sweat like a pig and don't breathe at all." Has anyone else run into this type of problem when considering winter jackets?
Old 12-22-14, 06:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Water proof when the water is Snow, is a Low Bar to get over ... you just sweat, More than the breathable pores will let Pass .

and once the DWR Treatment wears off , the water from the outside will seep Thru rather than Bead Up .

I put on my Waterproof Rain Cape, when its Pouring out . Over My Jacket that is a decent wind break when its Just Cold , But Dry to misty out..

and I now neither go Far, Or Fast. since Home location is near to my Usual haunts.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-22-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 06:25 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Talking to customer service was an eye-opening experience. "No one makes truly breathable jackets that warm," said the customer rep. "either they breathe and they don't keep you warm, or you sweat like a pig and don't breathe at all." Has anyone else run into this type of problem when considering winter jackets?
It's not a problem, it's reality. If you were assured of a jacket that would be breathable down to 0F, you were lied to.
Old 12-22-14, 07:58 PM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At 0F, water is solid. You don't need a waterproof. Also, the air is usually dryer.
Breathable waterproofs are challenged most by cool/cold rain and high humidity. If you get wet, you can get cold.

Usually it is better to use separate insulation and shell layers. I can use a windproof or a waterproof shell and add mid-layers according to the temp. Cycling can generate lots of heat and moisture which can overpower many all-in-one jackets.
Old 12-22-14, 08:12 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
they promised it was not only breathable but waterproof
That's an oxymoron for anything other than very low exertion levels. Breathable, waterproof fabric exists and probably works fine if you're walking but for anything more strenuous, Goretex or any other 'breathable' fabric quickly gets overwhelmed with sweat and all your clothes will get wet.

I've had much better success with jackets that have lots of openings to let air circulate, somewhat like a glorified poncho. I recently bought a J&G jacket for $100 and it seems to work quite well. It has large pit zips which I leave open and attach the bottom and top velcro without zipping up the front. If it's very cold and/or I'm not working hard on the bike I could do up the zips for some extra warmth.
Old 12-22-14, 08:54 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
That's an oxymoron for anything other than very low exertion levels. Breathable, waterproof fabric exists and probably works fine if you're walking but for anything more strenuous, Goretex or any other 'breathable' fabric quickly gets overwhelmed with sweat and all your clothes will get wet.
Yep. Nothing is going to be "breathable" enough to allow you to dump the heat you generate if you're riding hard.

I've had much better success with jackets that have lots of openings to let air circulate, somewhat like a glorified poncho. I recently bought a J&G jacket for $100 and it seems to work quite well. It has large pit zips which I leave open and attach the bottom and top velcro without zipping up the front. If it's very cold and/or I'm not working hard on the bike I could do up the zips for some extra warmth.
I've just plain given up trying to keep dry and just dressed for getting wet when I know I'm going to be riding hard in wet weather.
Old 12-23-14, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

the Former Burly CoOp's Rain jackets had a overlapping Caped back to let them ventilate, IDK any others, now . most just use a single back Panel.

Zzipper Fairing on the handlebars can take care of the wind break in front of you, then you can wear Lighter tops that will let sweat evaporate..
Plus the aerodynamics gain a small % of efficiency..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-23-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 11:32 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've given up on "breathable" jackets. If I'm riding in cold rain, I'll just take it easier to minimize any sweat.
Old 12-23-14, 11:52 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I got a jacket from Foxwear that has softshell material in the front and fleece in the back that isn't completely waterproof nor completely breathable, but it's enough of a compromise for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
e-vap-lite-03-300x226.jpg (35.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-23-14, 12:47 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Talking to customer service was an eye-opening experience. "No one makes truly breathable jackets that warm," said the customer rep. "either they breathe and they don't keep you warm, or you sweat like a pig and don't breathe at all." Has anyone else run into this type of problem when considering winter jackets?
For winter cycling you don't buy a heavy winter jacket, for best at staying warm you wear at least 2 layers:

1. A windproof "breathable" out layer. Gore Windstopper is expensive but has a good reputation for being both breathable and windproof (not waterproof though, just water resistant).

If you need waterproof, this guy here says the Gore Active line is the only one that he'd actually recommend for cycling:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post17233777

Gore says that Windstopper is 10 times more breathable than Goretex though (though again Windstopper is not waterproof, not really a problem at 20 degrees though).

2. A wicking, very breathable base layer. Usually either merino wool (smartwool) or synthetic material.

You regulate how warm you are by changing how many layers you have. Merino wool is a great material for covering a wide range of temperatures, but if I'm biking at 0 degrees I'll wear 2 layer of the long underwear pants, and 1 long underwear top with a smartwool sweater, all underneath the outer shell.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's a couple of reasons why they do it this way that come to mind:
- Wearing the inner layer tight to the skin provides the thinnest material, for best breathability
- Wearing the inner layer tight to the skin wicks the moisture away from the skin the best
- The inner layer has to be separate because it's going to have sweat pass through, and thus will need to be washed fairly regularly or it will start to smell terrible
Old 12-23-14, 01:00 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For higher exertion riding you might want to go with "pit zip" vents and/or a wind blocking front and a wicking (not waterproof) back at some temps. And don't overdress your torso like you waiting at a bus stop or sitting in a cold car if you are actively biking.. Down to about 0 F when I commuted in MN winter I'd wear a duo layer wicking/wool undershirt under a Gortex wind shell. For really cold days (below zero) I add a vest layer. If I was standing around doing nothing that wouldn't be comfortable for me at 40 degrees F, but I'm not standing around.
Old 12-23-14, 02:03 PM
GreenmanBelg

Bikes: 1957 Higgins Ultralight Trike,1963 Higgins Roadster Trike,2 Longstaff solo trikes, 1 Longstaff Tandem Trike. I'm a trike only man.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Any thoughts of a cape/poncho?. I'm leaning in that direction.
Old 12-23-14, 03:59 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Recently, I bought a nice breathable jacket for commuting. I got it from a large mail order retailer and they promised it was not only breathable but waterproof and quite warm (down to 0 degrees F.) On my first ride I decided to go a little longer and I noticed the top of my pants was soaked with perspiration. Rather than wicking through the many layers as it should have, it just soaked everything. Talking to customer service was an eye-opening experience. "No one makes truly breathable jackets that warm," said the customer rep. "either they breathe and they don't keep you warm, or you sweat like a pig and don't breathe at all." Has anyone else run into this type of problem when considering winter jackets?
I've never experienced that wearing a Showers Pass or my current jacket, the J&G jacket.. I use this jacket as my cold weather outer shell with a cross country ski jacket under that. That with different layering underneath keeps me comfortable down to the negative digits. But I've never been "soaked with perspiration" while riding in cold weather. Only in 80 or 90 degree weather.
Old 12-23-14, 04:09 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenmanBelg
There's cape fans in the Car Free forum.

Here's some of the latest comments, in a cheap rain gear thread.......mostly similar to earlier comments.
Old 12-23-14, 06:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
A fabric can't let your moisture out and keep rain off if the air outside the jacket is much more humid than the air inside the jacket. That is the fallacy of so-called breathable materials.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-23-14, 08:06 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A fabric can't let your moisture out and keep rain off if the air outside the jacket is much more humid than the air inside the jacket. That is the fallacy of so-called breathable materials.
But to be fair here, that's why they're good for winter riding. Cold winter air is very low humidity.

I think there might be something about heat involved in this as well, but you're right - it "allows" moisture to pass through the jacket to the outside, but if it's higher humidity outside it won't work.
Old 12-23-14, 08:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
But to be fair here, that's why they're good for winter riding. Cold winter air is very low humidity.

I think there might be something about heat involved in this as well, but you're right - it "allows" moisture to pass through the jacket to the outside, but if it's higher humidity outside it won't work.
Out on the prairie, the winter air may be dry. Ain't so here. Come visit us. You'll never feel so cold at 30º as you did before.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-23-14, 11:06 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Layers are the trick, same as in back-country skiing. Below freezing temps a windproof breathable softshell is best over an insulating layer. If it is snowing and/or very windy, throw on a breathable hardshell with pit-zips to improve ventilation. Same goes for rainy conditions (with less insulation), but as others have pointed out, in high humidity only increased ventilation can help.
Old 12-23-14, 11:19 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I got a jacket from Foxwear that has softshell material in the front and fleece in the back that isn't completely waterproof nor completely breathable, but it's enough of a compromise for me.
Several years ago I contacted Foxwear and told them I wanted the warmest pants they could provide.
They said they could do that in any color I wanted, as long as it was gray.
I gave them my measurements (I have a *very* long inseam) and ordered.

They sent me pants in a softshell material with a *perfect* fit; Not too tight; Not too loose.
They are so warm that I don't wear them over 50F, else my legs sweat, even though I'm only using cycling undershorts with them.

I was so happy with them, I was planning to order a softshell jacket.
Then this past fall I was walking through Costco and saw a bin full of softshell jackets, perfect for cycling.
$20/each.

I'm sold on softshell fabric for winter cycling.
It is lighter and warmer than anything else I've used.
Old 12-24-14, 12:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you need to work hard, a jacket with some sort of waterproof laminate isn't going to cut it. A softshell is probably your best bet.

If you need to worry about rain, the best two options are a rain cape or a waterproof jacket with lots of pits and openings. I've used capes in the past. They work pretty well as you can sweat freely underneath it. I've also owned a waterproof jacket with lots of pits (a burley) and it was a trooper for many years.
Old 12-24-14, 11:36 AM
GuyDebord

Bikes: No.22 Great Divide Disc Custom Ti

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to compromise. I have two very breathable, waterproof and warm jackets; they are expensive but worth it. The fabric is made in Switzerland by Schoeller and its called C-Change, they breathe way better than my pac-lite and goretex pro Arcteryx shells.
Old 12-26-14, 09:55 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Check out neoshell on foxwear.net. It's waterproof and breathable, I now have 2 jackets one out of the lightweight neoshell for temps down to about 30f and the other is heavy and I've used it to -10. Also have pants (can you tell I like this stuff?!).

It's not cheap but I've used jackets from Showers Pass, Cannondale, REI, PI that cost much more and there's no comparison. Google neoshell and you'll see the big name brands are starting to use it (for big $$). Stick with Lou at Foxwear - you'll become a foxwear evangelist too!
Old 12-26-14, 10:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I have my Cycle rain Cape at The Ready in My front Bag all winter ..

If you got a Carradice saddle bag, that is what those 4 D Rings on the Flap were to be Tying on ..

Poncho .. Big rectangle. not so well suited.. Cycle capes are Conic , so dont flap like a Flag in the wind..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 08:44 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I have my Cycle rain Cape at The Ready in My front Bag all winter ..

If you got a Carradice saddle bag, that is what those 4 D Rings on the Flap were to be Tying on ..

Poncho .. Big rectangle. not so well suited.. Cycle capes are Conic , so dont flap like a Flag in the wind..
I like the rain cape idea but I'm lazy so the idea of carrying another piece of gear for rain just doesn't work for me. Philosophical issue
Old 12-29-14, 09:21 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In colder weather it's all about managing sweat. As everyone has mentioned so far nothing is truly breathable, it is a dream that some day may be realized but not yet. Any jacket you buy is a compromise in some way. Schoeller soft shell fabrics are really pretty darn good as far as regulating sweat and breathing, but if it's pouring rain, no. It's all about you, your tolerance, your prevailing conditions, your budget and it varies for everyone. You can find pieces that work well for you most of the time, but rest assured they are all a compromise in one way or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.