Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane 4.5 - Anybody have one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Domane 4.5 - Anybody have one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 08:33 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,019 Times in 1,786 Posts
Well the internal cable routing on my 5.9 always seems to rattle on the chipseal roads I ride as do the cable housing right where it goes in. I made little tape "donuts" over the cables there to stop the rattle but the internal noise is always there.
Old 08-20-12, 08:50 PM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to ride a Domane 4.5 badly.
Old 08-21-12, 07:36 AM
RyleyinSTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the biggest differences over the Madone to consider are the frame geometry and the IsoSpeed decoupler and what these to things will or won't do for you. This is what really differentiates the two bikes and what you need to base your choice on.

Originally Posted by gundom66
Sorry to jack this thread, but what if you're constraint in funds? 2012 Madone 4.7 with a sale price of $2,699 or the 2013 4.5 Domane with a price of $2,549? Either one fits whether it's a 54 or a 56 so it doesn't really matter which bike... You're only concern on the Domane is that it's not fitted with full Ultegra and a over half a pound heavier than the Madone... You're only concern with the Madone is that it's $100 more and the geo seems to fit slightly better on the Domane... The only upgrade you can think of on the Madone is the wheelset , 25c tires, and maybe the saddle in time and the rear derailleur to accommodate a 11-32/12-32... While the Domane calls for all of the above (less the 25c tires) and a better crank. Which would you go for?
Old 08-21-12, 07:39 AM
RyleyinSTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
https://www.cumberlandtransit.com/
Schedule a test ride!
Old 08-21-12, 07:53 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
That makes two of us!
Old 08-21-12, 08:56 AM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I have a Roubaix that I ride badly. Haha!
Old 08-21-12, 09:10 AM
AllisonAntonio

Bikes: Trek 1.5c/ Trek fx 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Domane is a great bike, you will enjoy it! I rode one for 2 weeks until my LBS was able to get my Trek 1.5c in and put together. I purchased my girlfriend's bike (7.5 fx) from the Maplewood bike store.
Old 08-21-12, 09:17 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already ride badly on what I have, I want to ride a Domane well!
Old 08-21-12, 09:18 AM
RyleyinSTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maplewood Bicycle is a great place to shop for a Domane in the STL metro. They had as many models in stock as the Trek store in Ballwin. Plus they will happily spend hours with you fitting you up and sending you out on test rides. Great place.
Old 08-22-12, 01:51 PM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Thule T2 finally came in to the LBS today, and I chatted them up about the Domane when I went to pick up the rack. They have a ton of bikes there, but not one Domane. They said they are selling them as fast as they get them.

Researching online, the Domane 4.5 is the one that I would want based on options, appearance, and price.

I had a little doubt knocking at the back of my head that I should have ponied up for a Madone instead of getting this 2.1. As luck would have it, they had one in my size, a last year 4.6 with Rival. I took it out for a spin. Here's what I noticed:
-Rival feels and shifts exactly like Apex (which is good), but you're clearly paying for lighter weight.
-Carbon is crazy stiff. This is nice in that it is super responsive, doesn't flex, and is quiet. This is not nice in that it is bumpy on rough pavement compared to my bike.
-While I loved the bike, I don't think it is worth an extra $1200 to drop 3 pounds and see a marginal performance increase.

Why put all this in a Domane thread? Riding the Madone cemented the fact that I would definitely choose a Domane over one. I want a nice bike that I can ride for a long time and not feel beat up over. If the Domane achieves this and is at least as fast as my bike (easy task), I think it will be the next bike for me.
Old 08-23-12, 08:32 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Thanks for that well thought out response! I appreciate it.
Old 08-23-12, 08:43 AM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL
I can't cheat on Moab like that!

Edit: I called just to see, and they don't have any either. My LBS will order one in, but I probably need to hold off until the end of the year before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Noize4; 08-23-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 02:18 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to my local Trek shop since they finally got them Domane's in stock. Actually, this will be the 3rd call I received from them... First was when they receive the 6 a week after Domane's announcement. Through all the excitement, I went there after work only to find out that it's a 61cm. WAY TO BIG FOR ME!!! Next call was when they received 2 5.2 in 56cm and a 4.5 in a 54cm. I went there the next day and they were GONE!! So since I'm going to Disneyland with the family tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday, the only possible day will be the following Saturday. I hope I don't get a 4th call on another restock... =p. And let's hope that the 4.5 will at least be available for a test ride.
Old 08-24-12, 08:15 AM
JRD

Originally Posted by gundom66
Going to my local Trek shop since they finally got them Domane's in stock. Actually, this will be the 3rd call I received from them... First was when they receive the 6 a week after Domane's announcement. Through all the excitement, I went there after work only to find out that it's a 61cm. WAY TO BIG FOR ME!!! Next call was when they received 2 5.2 in 56cm and a 4.5 in a 54cm. I went there the next day and they were GONE!! So since I'm going to Disneyland with the family tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday, the only possible day will be the following Saturday. I hope I don't get a 4th call on another restock... =p. And let's hope that the 4.5 will at least be available for a test ride.
Let us know your thoughts after your test ride.
Old 09-03-12, 09:11 PM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to my LBS again about the bike, and they are going to get a 56cm Domane 4.5 in for me to try. Apparently, Trek is way backlogged on these, because they're telling me late October. They're going to give me a decent trade in on my 2.1, and I'll transfer the wheels over to the new bike.

The thing that makes me leery at this point is that there are two owner reviews of the Domane 4.5 up on Trek's website that say the handling is very nervous. I don't want that at all.

Right now, I am on a 58cm bike, and feel a bit of lower back and right shoulder pain around 20+ miles. I don't know if this is me getting used to new exercise (been at it about 6 weeks), or that my current bike is a little too big and need longer time for a perfect fit (initial fit took about 20 minutes).

85% of the pavement I am on is decently smooth. 15% is rougher. I'm between a 4.5 Madone and Domane. Maybe the shop will have both on hand and let me take a good 10+ mile ride on each.

This is lots more confusing than buying a car.
Old 09-10-12, 07:27 AM
RyleyinSTL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the Domane handling to be very predictable and stable when compared to a regular geometry road bike. The steering will be quicker and require much less input than your Giant Escape...some people coming from MTB or hybrid bikes might describe this feeling as "nervous" perhaps.

The Domane will have a more aggressive riding position than your Giant Escape, so as far a back pain goes, your really going to have to ride the bike and see how it goes. If pain is an issue the bike shop can make adjustments such as less drop and/or move the hoods around to tweak the ride for you.

Late Oct delivery sounds about right to me. If my LBS stock hadn't contained the right size for me I was looking at about the same wait. If your looking for a road bike with comfort as a priority there is no better choice than a Domane right now...IMO.
Old 09-10-12, 10:48 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Went into my closest Trek dealer, (where I purchased my Madone the other year), and they have/had one Domane. It was a six series, (can't remember the exact model number). The sales guy came over and put the bike on the floor and showed me some stuff on it. He placed his arm weight on the seat and proceeded to show me how much flex there is in the seat post. Not only does the seat post, (above the top tube) flex, but the whole seat tube all the way down to the bottom bracket! Not much, but enough to be clearly seen. No wonder "they" say it is a comfortable riding frame. Some time, when I have my shoes and pedals with me, they are going to let me take it for a test ride.
Old 09-10-12, 11:28 AM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL
I find the Domane handling to be very predictable and stable when compared to a regular geometry road bike. The steering will be quicker and require much less input than your Giant Escape...some people coming from MTB or hybrid bikes might describe this feeling as "nervous" perhaps.

The Domane will have a more aggressive riding position than your Giant Escape, so as far a back pain goes, your really going to have to ride the bike and see how it goes. If pain is an issue the bike shop can make adjustments such as less drop and/or move the hoods around to tweak the ride for you.

Late Oct delivery sounds about right to me. If my LBS stock hadn't contained the right size for me I was looking at about the same wait. If your looking for a road bike with comfort as a priority there is no better choice than a Domane right now...IMO.
Thanks for posting.
I wasn't comparing it to my hybrid, I know that would have been a huge difference, but the Trek 2.1 road bike I had. All I use the hybrid for is pulling my son in a trailer, slow family rides, and errands.

I liked the idea of a 5 series bike, but the extra $1000 is more than I want to be. I rode a lot more bikes, and ended up getting a 2012 56cm Madone 4.6. Not only did I get a good deal, but really prefer SRAM double tap to Shimano, and was shifting all over the place in the 105 and Ultegra bikes I rode recently. I know this only take a day to get used to, but we threw better tires on the Madone, and I'm not having any issues with comfort on the bumpy roads, so I bought it and moved my wheels over. Shoulder pain is gone, but still working on the lower back. I think it's just going to take training and time.

Thanks Ryley for all the info and help!
Old 09-10-12, 12:03 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
When I went to purchase my first carbon bike two summers ago, I opted for the Madone 4.5. To me, the 5 series was not worth the extra cost. But ... over the next year and a half, I "upgraded" the components on the 4.5 to full Ultegra 6700. Personally, I like the external cabling. It is a lot easier to swap in new cables than internal cabling. I like that 4.5 frame and highly doubt I'll get another Trek frame for a long time.
I know a few top notch mechanics that agree with you on internal vs external cables.
Old 09-01-17, 08:46 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SCochiller
Is Domane anything more than an anagram of Madone?
How much did they save in decals? emonda fits as well how am I now just figuring this out!?