Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is the conventional wisdom about hub maintinance wrong?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 01:23 AM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have often seen the advice that one ought to keep hubs slightly loose when repacking them with fresh grease and new bearings. This is because they say that the axle will be compressed when the quick release is clamped down.

This doesn't make sense to me.

The lock ring should prevent that. You can clamp down the wheel as much as you want, but the force of the quick release is going to be hitting against the outer nut (lock ring), which is stopped by the cone that has been rotated out into it. That's the whole purpose of the lock ring. It ensures that everything stays in place exactly as you have adjusted it.

I just don't get it. Surely the force of the quick release can't be enough to overcome the threads on the axle, which it isn't even pushing against in the first place anyway. So why do so many people advise to keep the hub slightly loose when repacking it?
Old 07-14-18, 01:30 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
You can test that yourself. Leave it slightly loose, install the wheel, tighten the quick release. If it‘s still loose it‘s a myth if it‘s not it‘s not.
Old 07-14-18, 01:35 AM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
You can test that yourself. Leave it slightly loose, install the wheel, tighten the quick release. If it‘s still loose it‘s a myth if it‘s not it‘s not.
I have tested it! I recently repacked the hubs on my road bike. That's why I think it's bull****. I expect to have to tighten the hubs later once the bearings have been worn down enough. Either that or I will just replace them again. It depends on how lazy I am am feeling at the time.
Old 07-14-18, 05:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
I have often seen the advice that one ought to keep hubs slightly loose when repacking them with fresh grease and new bearings. This is because they say that the axle will be compressed when the quick release is clamped down.

The lock ring should prevent that. You can clamp down the wheel as much as you want, but the force of the quick release is going to be hitting against the outer nut (lock ring), which is stopped by the cone that has been rotated out into it. That's the whole purpose of the lock ring. It ensures that everything stays in place exactly as you have adjusted it.

I just don't get it. Surely the force of the quick release can't be enough to overcome the threads on the axle, which it isn't even pushing against in the first place anyway. So why do so many people advise to keep the hub slightly loose when repacking it?
You forget about the axle's ability to compress, or more accurately bow. This is seen every day in bike shops. I will add that the lower compression that modern, exposed cam, skewers have does lessen this. Andy
Old 07-14-18, 05:57 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You forget about the axle's ability to compress, or more accurately bow. This is seen every day in bike shops. I will add that the lower compression that modern, exposed cam, skewers have does lessen this. Andy
Yep.

-Bandera
Old 07-14-18, 06:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Because of the mass of the wheel and tire, it can be hard to notice when you simply put it in the bike and spin the wheel. If you set it up so you can tighten the skewer while it's off the bike, then you can turn the axle instead of the wheel and very easily feel the difference.

You can easily make something or find something to play the role of the dropouts. A couple oversize nuts or cut some thick wall pipe, or use a pair you cut off a wrecked bike frame.
Old 07-14-18, 07:34 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
You can also adjust the hub the way you think it should be adjusted, install it in the dropouts, turn the wheel a bit and feel the crunch.
Old 07-14-18, 07:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The hub does tighten up some slack when you tighten the QR, or axle nut as the case may be. We could argue about why (and some do), but it's a fact.

I don't know about the "conventional wisdom" method of leaving a little slack - I do that, but it's never perfect* and I wind up adjusting the cone nuts with the wheel on the bike.

*mechanics can probably get it perfect, having done hundreds of them, so that's probably where the rule of thumb comes from.
Old 07-14-18, 11:17 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The axle compresses a few tenth of a mm in a 10mm threaded axle. When I adjust the bearings I put a 7/16" nut on the right lock nut and install the QR as tight as if it were on the bike. I then adjust the bearing using the NDS cone and nut so that there is a slight preload. When the QR is opened there is a slight amount of play.
With the new larger rear axles the adjustment is to have no play.
Wheel Bearing adjustment by Jobst Brandt
Old 07-14-18, 02:40 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I have tested it! I recently repacked the hubs on my road bike. That's why I think it's bull****. I expect to have to tighten the hubs later once the bearings have been worn down enough. Either that or I will just replace them again. It depends on how lazy I am am feeling at the time.
Well, that's that, then. I guess I must have been mistaken during my entire 20 year career.

What you don't understand is that this is not some obscure theory, but simple observation. I would bet that many on this forum discovered this accidentally, and only later understood the reason the adjustment changes when the q/re is clamped.
Old 07-14-18, 03:26 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's why I think it's bull****. I expect to have to tighten the hubs later once the bearings have been worn down enough.
Maybe it's me, but I don't imagine there's any reason to retighten the hubs due to the bearings wearing down enough to require retightening. As hard as bearing surfaces are, if they're worn down that much, they need replacing, not more compression by retightening, and if the bearings are "worn down" the cones are most likely shot.

But, maybe I need to go back to bike school.
Old 07-15-18, 02:03 AM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Try not to take anything too personally. I think there is some of that going on.

Cheers.

I have done some further testing. I have security skewers, so I am able to more easily adjust the clamping force by simply wrenching it down harder. What I did was loosen the cones out to make them sloppy. I then cranked the skewers down hard, and I did notice a difference in the play (amount of wiggle). So there is some merit to the conventional advice. However, since I am working with cheap steel cones, steel bearings, and steel axles, I don't think the difference is too important. I think that if you have lighter more expensive components, it would probably be more important because they might be more delicate/sensitive.

On a personal note, the 5 post per day restriction for new accounts is very frustrating.

Once again, thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-15-18, 02:17 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
The axle bows slightly rather than compressing any other way. The correct adjustment is a barely perceptible amount of play that disappears when the skewer is tightened. This is easy to do and perceive on average quality parts on new bikes costing less than $500 new. It's easier to do consistently on higher end parts.
Old 07-15-18, 07:30 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

+1. As the effect is small, a sloppy adjustment is not a good test of whether it's important. Instead, try this: Adjust the cones so that they are smooth with no play. Then hold the wheel with your hands and allow it to rock back and forth to a stop just by the weight of valve or reflector. Now clamp in the bike and try the same thing. You will find that the wheel stops significantly faster when clamped.
Old 07-15-18, 07:42 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
QR does increase bearing preload. It can be measured, as some have explained. Front axles seem to compress somewhat more - they are of a smaller diameter than the rear ones.

I use some old spacers when adjusting preload, so I can quickly and easily check for (the lack of) play before mounting the wheel in the frame.

Old 07-15-18, 08:45 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Try not to take anything too personally. I think there is some of that going on.
I can't speak for others but I did not take your remarks personally (though the expletive was not exactly respectful). Wry humor is hard to convey in text.
Old 07-15-18, 11:41 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 1,016 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Try not to take anything too personally. I think there is some of that going on.

Cheers.

I have done some further testing. I have security skewers, so I am able to more easily adjust the clamping force by simply wrenching it down harder. What I did was loosen the cones out to make them sloppy. I then cranked the skewers down hard, and I did notice a difference in the play (amount of wiggle). So there is some merit to the conventional advice. However, since I am working with cheap steel cones, steel bearings, and steel axles, I don't think the difference is too important. I think that if you have lighter more expensive components, it would probably be more important because they might be more delicate/sensitive.

On a personal note, the 5 post per day restriction for new accounts is very frustrating.

Once again, thanks for all the replies.
Expensive hubs also have steel cones, axles and bearings. All of them need QR compression accounted for.

If your wheel didn't, it probably would mean your QR isn't being tightened sufficiently for safe wheel retention.
Old 07-15-18, 11:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I have an add on question about Dura Ace 7700 (9 speed) hubs. Do these run forever or what? I have a wheelset that has ~13,000 miles on them. The rear wheel is on the 3rd rim. I have yet to “repack” the bearings. They’ve always rolled like butter so I have always procrastinated taking the axles out and repacking the bearings. I’ve ridden in the rain a moderate amount over the years BTW.

For the purpose of this thread, I will add my experience with my older Dura Ace 7400 hubs. YES, it is beneficial to set them up ever so slightly “loose” as far as the preload on the cones is concerned. It is very satisfying to know that you have them dialed just right for your frame - no play whatsoever yet free spinning with no resistance.
Old 07-15-18, 12:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I have an add on question about Dura Ace 7700 (9 speed) hubs. Do these run forever or what? I have a wheelset that has ~13,000 miles on them. The rear wheel is on the 3rd rim. I have yet to “repack” the bearings. They’ve always rolled like butter so I have always procrastinated taking the axles out and repacking the bearings. I’ve ridden in the rain a moderate amount over the years BTW.

For the purpose of this thread, I will add my experience with my older Dura Ace 7400 hubs. YES, it is beneficial to set them up ever so slightly “loose” as far as the preload on the cones is concerned. It is very satisfying to know that you have them dialed just right for your frame - no play whatsoever yet free spinning with no resistance.
Are they cup & cone? Of so, then I'd be inclined to open them up and take a look. For me, part of hub maintenance is just being able to inspect the bearings for possible deterioration. It'd be a shame to lose them now due to running dry, if they still have lots of life left in them.
Old 07-15-18, 01:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Are they cup & cone? .
Shimano DA, Ultegra, 105 and the new low spoke count hubs are cup & cone design.
Grease does not last forever regardless of how well adjusted the hubs are.
With regular overhaul all have a very long service life even in bad conditions and under heavy loads if adjusted properly as has been discussed.

-Bandera
Old 07-16-18, 07:22 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by masi61

You are lucky. I overhaul mine every 2500 miles and have hubs with over 75000 miles on them. Years ago I waited until I a little over 5k miles and had to replace a cone.I rarely have to replace the balls with this schedule.
Old 07-16-18, 07:24 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by cpach
The axle bows slightly rather than compressing any other way. The correct adjustment is a barely perceptible amount of play that disappears when the skewer is tightened. This is easy to do and perceive on average quality parts on new bikes costing less than $500 new. It's easier to do consistently on higher end parts.
If the axle bowed then the bearings would be in aan uneven load and wear prematurely. Steel can compress.
Old 07-16-18, 08:20 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

It depends on whether you have a solid or hollow (skewer quick relase) axle.

On a solid axle, the the tightening wing nuts are pulling the axle against the frame. The locknuts will prevent axle expansion, when the wheel is tight in the frame.

On a hollow quick release axle, the skewer pushes the frame against the locknuts. The locknuts will transmit this force to the cones, as the skewer is tightened. That's why it's necessary to compensate for this force when adjusting the bearings. Excessive over-tightening will push the axle until it starts bending.

The need to compensate for locking the cones in place isn't limited to hubs. The same is true for headsets. Bottom brackets are the exception. The adjustable cup is pulled away from the spindle, when the lockring is tightened. You want to slightly overtighten the adjustable cup with the expectation that tightening the lockring will bring the adjustment to it's "perfect" position.
Old 07-16-18, 09:54 AM
desmodue

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Steel can compress, but that's not what happens in this case. The proof against it compressing is that it relaxes when the QR is released. Compressed steel (plastic deformation) doesn't spring back to it's original shape.

Does the axle flex (elastic deformation)? If it does, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the axle integrity.

I would say the most likely culprit is: Thread tolerances of the cones, lock nuts and axle
Old 07-16-18, 10:03 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by desmodue
Steel can compress, but that's not what happens in this case. The proof against it compressing is that it relaxes when the QR is released. Compressed steel (plastic deformation) doesn't spring back to it's original shape.

Does the axle flex (elastic deformation)? If it does, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the axle integrity.

I would say the most likely culprit is: Thread tolerances of the cones, lock nuts and axle
Steel can compress elastically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.